“Best View in Town”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Overlooking the South China Sea and the colorful harbor market is one of your rewards for staying at this world class hotel. Plus the kind of service you would expect is amplified. The chef walked across the street for us and bought freshly caught crabs that he grilled for us at dinner... Just because we mentioned how beautiful they were and that we loved them. Excellent shopping in the same block as the hotel. I'd never stay anywhere else in this city.

Room Tip: Go for an upper story room facing the sea and market - More view. No street noise!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elaine S
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you Rollingal for sharing your experience.

I am delighted to read that one of our team really went out of their way to create such a memorable experience for you. At the same time you cannot find fresher seafood then in the markets surrounding the hotel,. so a very good choice.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel when you travel back to Sabah again.

Best regards,

Fiona

Reviewed 27 January 2014

le meridien was so nice, we came back to it three times in one week - once after climbing mount kinabalu, again after visiting danung valley and again once more after diving at mabul and sipadan island.

and what a pleasure it was to come back again!

our room(s) were highly appointed, we had an amazing view of the ocean, the lounge served beautiful food and wine, and the staff were super helpful, remembering our names and room numbers (in spite of changing every few days). no request was too difficult, and they even packed us some breakfast when we had to leave early for mount kinabalu.

the pool was very nice, there was a PC and a mac that you can use at the lounge, and the fitness centre was ok.

le meridien is centrally located and an easy walk to the night markets, shops and restaurants in kota kinabalu.

there is a free shuttle bus to the biggest shopping mall in kota (one borneo) and the bus stop is a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

wifi is a bit patchy, but this is common in borneo.

highly recommended. you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: all rooms face the ocean. the higher floors have better rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iskoolboy
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Hello iskoolboy,

What a wonderful vacation you had, covering all of the must do's in Sabah, I would like to extend a hearty congratulations to you both for reaching the summit of Mt Kinabalu. You are truly destination explorers!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts form your recent stays with us in KK. I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel as your stop over point during your travels and enjoyed the services in the Club Lounge, I will share this with our team.

Thank you again and wishing you all the best in your next travel adventure and exploration.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The reception checking us was not smiling and the check in was also slow. The rooms and décor was somewhat outdated.

The service level was fine and the rooms were very comfortable with a good view of the river. Beautiful view if I may add.

The concierge though were friendly and I am sure if everyone at the hotel can smile it would have allowed me to grade them good.

It would have been nice if they would renovate the gym and the hotel

Room Tip: Corner room on the top floor with a river view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Hello Rosalia,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback from your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu. I am delighted that you found some of our team, mainly the concierge very warm and friendly thank you for sharing and I will ensure we recognise this team. I am concerned to read your feedback related to the front desk associates and the welcome you received, this is simply not good enough and your feedback will help us in our continuing training.

As I have mentioned in other reviews we will be starting a renovation of the hotel later this year, we will share more on this once we have the firm dates.

I do hope that if you travel to KK again you will chance another stay with us!

With best regards,

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Here in business, rooms large and comfy, kingside bed great, bathroom spotless. Hotel staff great and steak restaurant in lobby beautiful food. 30 ringgit to airport with hotel arranging local taxi. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 24 January 2014

After a night in another hotel that i would not mention, we stayed at Le Meridien for 3 nights.
Rooms are comfortable and clean. The service is good and the pool is not huge but nice.
The breakfast has plenty of choice and the quaity is correct.
It is really central and just in front of the market and the harbour bar and restaurant area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BabyCParis

Hello BabyCparis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with others from your recent stay with us! I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel facilities and location.

Please come back again and visit us again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for 10 days over Christmas and if we hadn't prepaid, would have checked out long before!

Check-in was fast and friendly, initial impressions of the room were favourable-- although it was dated, the room was very spacious (bigger than our HK apartment!). Bed was too soft and lumpy-- felt like sleeping on a waterbed if the other person tossed and turned! The trouble started early in the morning-- noisy mainlander family banging and yellng next door. Called up to complain and was told that they had just checked out... but the noise was still coming from their room, so loud I could hear the Mandarin words. They'd left the TV on, blaring! Not the hotel's fault but this was an indication of the quality of guest staying there at the time. Every morning at 7am we were woken up by children screaming and runing up and down the hall, while we were often disturbed by loud conversations in the hall at 2 or 3 in the morning. We'd come to KK to relax from our busy lives and I was so looking forward to getting some decent sleep, but was actually more exhausted in this supposedly 5-star hotel! To make matters worse, the doors slam shut, so even with quiet neighbours you will still get woken up by these almighty thuds. This is something the hotel can surely fix-- where is that soft 'click' of a good door? With all the noise and interrupted sleep, we ended up wasting so much of our mornings trying to 'catch up' on lost sleep. Terrible.

Ended up changing rooms, but had to be quite firm about it and there was no sympathy or apology. Lucky we checked where the new room was, because they'd actually planned to move us closer to the source of the noise, on the same floor! By that point I was so tired and disappointed and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Finally we got a room on the 10th floor, slightly tucked away from other rooms. However, the door slamming was still an issue. In the new room, lack of attention to detail was evident again-- there was only one robe, and it was very old and small. Not the same fluffy type as in our original room. I'm petite and it didn't fit. Had to call for a proper robe to be sent. The bathtub in the new room was missing a lot of enamel and had rust (!!!), so no relaxing baths for me. Also, there was a lot of mould on the wall near the shower. Disgusting.

In both rooms, the pipes were so loud that when the next room used the water, there was a hideous screaming kind of sound. Also, in the first room the aircon was hideously loud and we couldn't turn it off. Again, more noise in a supposedly world-class hotel.

Food-- the first morning, so tired, tried to order room service. The clock said 10:45am and the operator said it was too late to order breakfast because it stops at 11am... well, it wasn't 11am yet! Wasn't even 10:45-- the clock was showing the wrong time, it was only about 10:20. The second room we had also had the wrong time on the clock-- little details matter in a supposedly 5-star hotel. Had there been a breakfast menu that you hang outside the door, we wouldn't have had such trouble. I thought that the hotel just didn't supply one (the menu is printed on cheap folded paper, so I thought it was cost-cutting) and it was late when we arrived so I didn't question it, just went to sleep, but when we changed rooms a few days later we found one supplied. Again, lack of attention to detail. To their credit, staff ended up calling back and breakfast was delivered at about 11:30 am the first morning.

Room service menu not only looks cheap, but it's boring. Malaysian food is delicious and varied, yet the room service menu barely showcases this, especially for vegetarians. Who wants bland pasta or crumbed vegetable cutlets, especially at RM45++?! The hotel would have made so much more money out of me had the room service menu been interesting enough to justify the high cost by local standards.

Had breakfast one morning. Wanted to try the 'special' breakfast dishes created by some chef, which aren't available for room service (good western breakfasts are a luxury for me in my part of HK, so I really do relish this when on holiday). Staff member had no idea what I was talking about and gave me a steak menu! Ended up eating the buffet, which was OK.

Pool-- very small area and at times there were not enough sunlounges. The hotel really needs to make the area non-smoking. Lots of kids the time we stayed, and the hotel seems to schedule lots of poolside events in an apparent attempt to make money. As a hotel guest I would expect there to be proper facilities and don't care about a family barbecue, I want to relax. The pool staff are very good, however, and know how to make a good cocktail. In contrast to the rest of the hotel, the gym is modern and well-equipped. It faces the ocean so it's quite pleasant to work out there.

This was a very, very disappointing hotel stay. One expects a Le Meridien not to be so run-down, and a decent night's sleep in such a hotel should be a given. Starwood should be ashamed to include this hotel in its portfolio. I cannot recommend this hotel at all, because even if a room is a bit dated, no mould or rust in the bathroom, a decent mattress and a quiet night's sleep should be a given. You'd have to have some seriously low standards to be satisifed with this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bimdonesia
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Hello bimdonesia,

Without trying to address your specific comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that I didn't have the opportunity to meet you during your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that we did not deliver up to your expectations in terms of your accommodation, experience or a relaxing stay.

I would sincerely like to contact you directly and would ask that you contact me via my email, fiona.hagan@lemeridien.com .

Regards,
Fiona
F

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This Le Meridien is conveniently located at the heart of Kota Kinabalu, easy to reach to a lot of attractions. However, being the traditional luxury hotel in Starwood chain, this hotel disappointed me by its old facility as well as not so pleasant service during the night. For example, there was no toothbrush in my room, we called up and asked for two sets. Instead of getting what we needed in a short while, we waited for nearly one hour and the service only managed to deliver one set. During the one hour, the lady at the service center impatiently responded to our third call. The next day we made a complaint, again disappointedly, no one from the hotel ever contacted us for any further explanation or apology as a courtesy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ShAr0n41
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Hello ShArOn41,

Thank you for sharing your constructive comments related to your recent stay. Clearly on this occasion we did not deliver as we should of in regards to service delivery or recovery.

We do not place toothbrush's in the room as a standard, though as you mention we do have them readily available upon request for our guests. I do wish that I would of had the opportunity to meet you during your stay or had your room number so we could of used this detail to further investigate where our processes did not meet the expectations.

Please accept my reply as an apology for this oversight.

Warm regards,