“Overpriced, poor service and poorly maintained” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #5 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
UK
“Overpriced, poor service and poorly maintained”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on way to Sepilok. Hotel is a 70s relic. Lobby toilets smelled rancid. Guest floor and bedroom had bad mold / mildew problem. Carpets threadbare and stained. Wallpaper stained and peeling. No bath mat supplied. Towels tiny and v thin. Overall this hotel is in urgent need of a refurb and shouldn't be charging luxury hotel prices given its current condition. On top food and drink is poor quality and over priced. Will avoid Starwood hotels in future as clearly no quality control. If you're looking for a luxury hotel Shangri La have got it right in area.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank claireyl
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hello Claireyl,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay with us in February, I am sorry that we disspointed you on this occassion.

We will be starting a renovation of the hotel later this year which will provide a complete refresh for the hotel products and design elements. As you mention Starwood Hotels and resorts does have strong quliaty controls in place and we are tkaing active steps to meet these in 2014.

It would be helpful to me if you could provide me a little more informaiton about the poor quality of food - my email address is fiona.hagan@lemeridien.com, this is something that we do have control over and your specific feedback would be helpful to us.

I do hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your trip to Sabah and Sepilok.

Fiona Hagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here 3d2n. I must say the room is spacious and well equipped with basic needs. The location is superb because right in front of the hotel is a market selling local delicacies and souvenirs. And it is only 10 to 15 mins from the airport. The sea view is very nice from certain rooms.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kxinyun
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Hello kxinyun,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, specifically the location of the hotel.

Please come back to visit us again soon.

Warm regards,
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Bottom line: I would consider staying here again only because of my SPG status. I would consider the shangri-la and maybe the Hyatt in the meantime. There are only a few things that need to be taken care of so that I would not consider a future stay at the Hyatt and hope the future renovations will take care of these small issues. I enjoyed the staff as they give this hotel potential with the future renovations.

Just finished up a 4 night stay with two rooms and I'm SPG PLT. Was given two regular connecting rooms our first two nights and was upgraded to a suite with sea view with a connecting room the last two nights. This was a family vacation with my three kids all 6 and under.

At a little over 100 USD I think this hotel has value. However, I would still look at the Hyatt or maybe even the shangri la. I would have a hard time paying over 150 for this hotel.

The good:
Center of town within walking distance of the night market.
Rooms are spacious
Suite is vary spacious with separate living room and half bath
Club lounge has a great view overlooking the south China sea for viewing great sunsets
Breakfast is decent with various selections of food
Staff were friendly and polite. Hiza, one of the breakfast staff remembered our drink order from the previous morning.
pool has a bar and some views of the sea but trees block most of the views. Don't go before noon as the sun will be blocked by the hotel and the water will be cold. You may also get the smells from the fish market below.
Live music
Large bathrooms with separate bath and shower

The bad:
Two of our four pillows in our first rooms were those hard foam pillows. 1 pillow in our suite was the foam pillow.
I guess I'm spoiled with the SPG heavenly beds. These beds are not them and were stiff in my opinion.
The closets had lights in them that leak though. Most closets that have lights in them turn off when you close the door but these didn't and I had to unplug them at night so I could sleep.Overall the hotel feels worn and it seems liked little details are overlooked or not kept up.
Couches in suites are not fold out so you will need extra roll away beds for kids.
Flat screen TV is small, maybe 27"

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear cincoMcBrides,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with others from your recent stay in the Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu.

I ma pleased that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and some aspects of your stay. As you mention the views from our Suites and Club Lounge are ideal for viewing the sunsets and view of the South China Sea.

Thank you for sharing some of the areas of opportunity for us to address. We are planning a renovation starting later this year, which will address some of the items you have mentioned though we will take an audit of the wardrobe doors as this is an area that we can address.

I do hope you will consider to stay with us on your next trip to KK and take a look after our renovation.

Best regards,

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I am glad that I have chosen to stay in this hotel. It has the best and strategic location. I guess other branded hotels in Kota Kinabalu is unlikely to compare with Le Meridien as those hotels look dull now.

Its facilities such as swimming pool, gym, steam and sauna are fully operational and well maintained. I am glad that I have a chance to use it.

There is a cocktain reception next to the pool on every Tuesday evening (6~7pm), Here is the chance to mingle with the staff of the hotel and tourists from other countries. The executive lounge at 12th floor provides an excellent view to the water front.

It has no regret to stay in Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view room if your booking is allowable.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello Stanley_Wong1204,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with others from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our weekly cocktail which is held once a week, it's a great opportunity for us to connect with our guests and weather permitting to showcase the fabulous sunset view from our pool side.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Le Meridien the next time you will travel to KK.

Fiona
Kuching, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

1. Convenience as it is located centre of KK. Short walking distance to the Filipinos market, seafood eatery, night entertainment and malls.
2.Its a pleasure to wake up with the sea view :-)
3. Great hospitality service by the hotel management.
Just check in and enjoy yourself!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

great location for a foodie - day markets and then around 3 every evening a large night market gets set up with fresh meats and seafoods and street vendors -
Found the staff extremely polite - knowledgeable and of course very friendly and would love to head back there as we did enjoy ourselves.
Our favorite dinner was when we had the chef Rhondi cook mudcrabs brought fresh form the market - and you order your dinner the night before and they set up at the pool if you would like - the crab were awesome.
we tried some massages in town but found the hotels spa was far superior and the level of massage was excellent - having had massages all around the world - i thought my masseuse was one of the best her deep tissue was found those knots!
One evening the GM had a get to know the staff drinks and nibblies and had fun meeting everyone - this is where we met the masseuse with free shoulder massages - it only took 30 seconds to realize we needed a session with her the following day!
It was a a good break and very interesting food adventure - helped by a great
hotel and staff

Room Tip: we did the daily upgrade and found it a great value
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beignet9
Hello beignet9,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I have personally thanked Chef Rhondi, he is very passionate about food and always eager to help our guests explore and experience the local seafood or market - thank you for trusting him and our team to help you on your food adventure.

This is wonderful feedback for the Solace Spa team, the masseuse's and staff belong to a much larger spa operation at 2 resorts on Gaya Island so they are very professionally trained and receive specialist training to help our guests with recovery massages after climbing the Mountain.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, I do hope that you will travel back to Kota Kinabalu in the future.

Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Tiada yang dapat meletakkan kepada sang pengembara apabila menerima layanan servis hotel yang baik dan cekap sekali. The hotel is perfectly situated with fantastic views over the South China Sea, and close to the market and waterfront bars and restaurants. Rooms are spacious and well appointed.

Room Tip: Just asked, and make sure you know the type of room before make booking.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear MrDell2014,

Thank you for sharing with others your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am delighted you found the location of the hotel and facilities ideal.

Please come and visit us again some day again soon, we are only a short flight from KK.

Fiona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#3 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,302 reviews
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Eden54
#2 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,146 reviews
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!