“Lovely staff. Lovely hotel. ”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

After climbing Mount kinabalu we were looking forward to a night recovering before our flight the next day and we weren't disappointed at Le Meridian. The staff were friendly, the room well equipped, clean, functioning and manna to my aching body, a bath tub. Not always a standard in Asia. Food was all very good and mostly reasonable. The pool area is nicely presented. The one thing that, well if I'm honest, shocked me was the price of soft drinks and water in the hotel. A massive 22rm for a bottle of water and 18rm for a sprite. A small matter but so out of sync with the rest of the 'fair enough pricing' feeling in the hotel that you feel a little insulted. There's a shop next door, pop over there I'd say.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hello Steve,

Congratulations and well done for reaching the summit of Mount Kinabalu! I am pleased we provided a place to rest and recover after the long climb .

Thank you for your feedback related to the price of the soft drinks in the hotel, I have asked my team to look into this and to provide me a comparison on the prices. As you mention we do adopt a fair pricing attitude in the hotel for all items so I will take a look with my team.

Thank you for highlighting this so we can take a closer look.

Best regards,
Fiona

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Well back again for a second visit.
We have had such a great time again at this hotel with the location and the people.
Could not complain about the service and the hotel.
The location is the best very central.
Both Flames and the Circle restaurants in the hotel are fantastic.
Rodney and his staff go above and beyond making your meal the best.
Ask the staff for advice and places to visit.
Fully recommend the Solace spa on the 2nd floor. Had 2 facials and the girls are just the best
very relaxing and think a must to do.

Room Tip: Always ask for ocean view room from the 5th floor upwards. and make sure you ask non smoking room as...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MARGARET H

Thank you for staying with us a second time Margaret!

I am so pleased that Rodney and his team made you feel so welcome, I could not agree more, this team do a wonderful job.

We have an agreement with the Solace Spa at the Bunga Raya Resort & Spa to provide us therapists for the treatment rooms beside the swimming pool. I am so pleased that you enjoyed their services and I have passed this onto them directly so they ensure that we recognise their team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for your 3rd stay soon!

Fiona

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed for holiday with my parents in April 2012.

Nice lobby..
Room - spacious, nice beds
Room service - good
Cafe - good
Location - good
Nice day & night view

Just walk distance to the Filipino Market, Jamilah Jewellery :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Azian2575
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed one night and only have one minor complaint. We booked a room with a sea view and showed the evidence of that booking at check in but they wanted to charge an extra 50 Ringits for a sea view. We refused to pay the extra and after the receptionist checked with back room management we received a room with a sea view at no extra cost. We were tired after travelling and did not need this problem on arrival. Otherwise everything was acceptable. It is very conveniently placed for the night food market where you can eat fresh seafood straight from the fish market nearby.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Hello TimPamRay,

Many thanks for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we were not able to extend a warm and efficient welcome to you in the hotel, particularly relating to the room allocation.

I am pleased however that we took swift action and you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

With best regards,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Kota Kinabalu is not a large town though it has a reasonable flow of tourists mainly for water sports or to trek Mt. Kinabalu. It has the largest airport in Malaysian Borneo and that's the reason why many tourists stop here.

The Le Meridien here seems to be an old property. The decore was a little outdated and it could do with a little upliftment. Having said that, it stands good on most other parameters.

While checking in we were informed that the double bed room which we had booked was not available and we will be given 2 single beds. I was on my anniversary with my wife, and there was no chance of accepting this. So they offered to change our room later at night which was done promptly.
The hotel is not extravagantly large, but has facilities like swimming pool, a fitness center and a spa.
They also have a couple of restaurants, Circle- their coffee shop where breakfast is also served and Flames - the steak restaurant. Both are located on the ground floor.
They also have a bar by the pool on the 2nd floor.

The view from the room was pretty poor as we could see the by lanes of this small town. The room in itself was not bad, it was spacious and ad a table to write on apart from the bed, which was quite comfortable. The bathroom had a tub apart from the shower and a mini bar was in the room itself apart from a kettle and ironing table.
I woke up in the middle of the night to sounds of some machine and a constant clatter after every 10-15 minutes or so.
I stepped outside the room to check the source of the sound, and looked in the bathroom as well, the sound was coming from within the room itself but i couldn't figure out from where.

After spoiling half an hour of my sleep i realised, it was the air conditioning which was so noisy, it was startling.

The breakfast has a decent spread including bakery products, oriental and a little indian cuisine too. They had a counter for fresh juices and choice of eggs too. Taste was average, but manageable.

The location is good, as it's right opposite the waterfront and in the midst of shopping, spa, and nearly a dozen restaurants/cafes. The airport is hardly a 15 minute drive from here.

The staff is courteous and helpful, they got me a cab at 4 in the morning when my agent missed our pick up.
Value for money is quite good and travellers from europe/u.s might actually find it very affordable.

Overall, if the property gets a little refurbishment, it could work out well. Not a delightful stay though.

Room Tip: pick rooms facing the sea, as there is no view from the other rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Ravim84,

Thank you for sharing a very detailed recap of your stay. I am pleased as you seem to of used many of the facilities and venues in the hotel during your stay.

Whilst we cannot change the view of the rooms nor the location of the hotel, this year we will be starting a project to refresh the public spaces, rooms and venues.

I do hope that you shared the feedback with our team during your stay related to the air conditioning unit in your room, this is something that we can definetly address and should not have kept you awake.

I do hope if you travel back to KK that you will consider to try us again!

With best regards,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

stayed 2 nights in Le meridien after hyatt kinabalu. roomwise Le meridien is much better than hyatt. location: hyatt closer to center but lemridien also surrounded by lots of amenities.

however service horrible, compared to service provided by hyatt. staffs are freezing and we were not feeling welcomed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kecai

Hello kecal,

I am very surprised to read your comments related t your stay with us in January, specifically related to the service in the hotel.

Consistently we receive very positive comments related to our associates and usually very warm and genuine service that they provide to our guests. If you read this response I would sincerely appreciate a little more detail so I can understand where we experienced a shortfall and with which team, if you could please email me on fiona.hagan@lemeridien.com.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here with a group for a total of 3 nights in late Feb 2014.
while the rooms may be a little tired they were very clean, plenty of good quality linen with great views over the markets and sea. The staff were very friendly and obliging, nothing was too much trouble. We were able to leave luggage with the concierge for later collection on out departure day
The buffet breakfasts catered for many & varied tastes and seemed popular with the multi-cultural guests.
thanks Fiona to all of you, best wished for your ongoing upgrade.Georgina Barr.A.U.

Room Tip: both rooms I used had great views over the 1-markets, 2 - the sea.Air con. very comfortable& adj...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business