“Great location - but not quite 5 Star.”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Perth, Western Australia
“Great location - but not quite 5 Star.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My friend and I recently spent 4 nights in a Club Room at Le Meridien KK. The hotel itself is well located right in the centre of town overlooking the harbour and nearby islands. The rooms were spacious and clean, with good quality toiletries in the bathroom. We used the pool a couple of times and the outdoors area was well-kept and clean, if somewhat bland. The Club Lounge was well frequented by us and others - good wine, beer and spirit offerings although the food selection was a bit light-on and repetitive compared with other Asian hotel club lounges. Still, it was a lovely place to sit and watch the sunset.

All the staff were, without exception, wonderful and nothing was too much trouble for any of them.

However the place seems to have a dated (1990s?) feel about it. A makeover would bring it back to it's former glory.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello Itch-4, Travel,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and review with others on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you appreciated the service from our associates.

Great feedback and input on the club lounge menu, this is something I will review with our Chef to see if we can add in some additional variety, thank you for highlighting this.

We will be starting a renovation this year which will be primarily to refresh the guest rooms and public areas. The dates that we will start are still TBC and as soon as we know we will post the plan and updates on our website, please stay tuned.

Thank you again for sharing, I hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Fiona Hagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel located at a walking distance to Philiphino Market, Wet Market, seafood restaurants, food stalls and Gaya Sunday Market. It is so convenience to have everything within my reach for a shopper like me. No complaint about the stay. The room is comfortable. The breakfast spread is good and variety. Overall stay - satisfactory.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ccsala
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello ccsala,

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and had an opportunity to explore KK and the Sunday markets on Gaya Street.

I hope we ave the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Le Meridian is in great location close to the markets and other food outlets great views from the sea view rooms foods good, bars expensive staff are a bit unfriendly and despite being a SPG member I found I could still have gotten better deal via on line booking agents than direct

Room Tip: make sure you check before booking direct as better deals can be obtained IE sea view room for same...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with others from your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the location and surroundings of the hotel.

I was very disappointed to read that you could find a better deal online than booking direct with the hotel. We do have some specific promotion rates on our Hotel and SPG website that are subject to full prepayment and not flexible with cancellation terms etc, which may of been the case. Though if the better rates were found on another web site I would like to ensure that you are aware that we extend a best rate guarantee on our rates online. If you need additional information please contact me directly or visit anyone of the SPG or Starwood websites.

I do hope that you will consider to stay with us again if you do travel back to Sabah again in the future.

With bests regards,

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

A highly recommendable hotel to put up with for either business or pleasure. I personally have had numerous good experiences with Le Meridien KK. The front line team are always friendly and helpful. There were some mixed up of bookings during my last stay but immediately the team responded by apologizing and offered a room upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite.

Despite being an old hotel already rooms are still very comfortable and clean. I do believe that upgrades are already being undertaken for some rooms already.

Coffee house provides a pretty good breakfast buffet - pretty good selection and choices. Generally, most dishes served are well flavored. So if one is too tired or lazy to venture out for good food outside, good choices are available within.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank yvonnel444
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hello YvonneI444,

I am so pleased that you have stayed with us numerous times and have had good experiences. From your review it appears we recovered from on oversight on your last stay, thank you for giving us another chance and staying with us on this occasion.

Thank you for sharing your tips with others on the food variety and guest rooms - I find this a very honest comment, thank you.

I hope I have the chance to meet you personally on your next stay.

Hong Hong
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were upgraded to a suite for our 4 night stay. The room was starting to show its age and in need of some maintenance with wallpaper peeling in places.

This property does have a Club Lounge with a pretty decent happy hour (2 hours if I remember correctly). It was an excellent place to watch the sunset from!

We used the hotel as a base to take various day trips. There are plenty of eating options around the hotel. For dinner we went across the street and had fresh bbq seafood which was amazing!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello TexanInHK,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay with us in January. I am delighted that you had an opportunity to view the Sunset views from the Club Lounge and some of the local food options around the Hotel.

We are in the final stages of planning for a renovation which will help to refresh the hotel decor and furnishings. If you do come back to visit KK again in the future I hope you will consider to stay with us again.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Pros- Centrally located right across the best night club in Kota Kinabalu and waterfront, decent pool side restaurant with a good sunset view, good live orchestra tending to custom requests
Cons- Limited choice in vegetarian food, your standard hotel, average customer service

• Stayed January 2014
Hello L Tripathi,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel location and some of the services.

I am disappointed to read that you did not find a large variety of Vegetarian food, on this point it appears that our team failed to communicate the options we have available with you. This will be something that I address with our team to ensure we refresh our training for the service teams.

Thank you again, I hope you will be back to stay with us in the future.

Fiona
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was here on business for 4 nights...The hotel meet all my expectations - Speedy check in, nice room with great view. I really love having breakfasts at the Club Lounge @ 12 floor and also managed to catch the sunset....The hotel was my 3rd venue in my travel leg and I was not disappointed...Would love to come again with the family if the room rate is on offer....!!

Room Tip: Different charges for the seaview but if you are a Mariott member, they could accommodate to your re...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear malinja7,

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased we provided a comfortable home away from home for you during your travels.

Please let us know if you travel back with your family so we can make this trip special for you all.