“Excellent place to stay! Almost the highlight of my trip!”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My family was in KK for a holiday last week. We stayed in Le Meridien on 4 nights. One night, we had a city-facing room, which was huge and very comfortable. 2 twin beds. Toilet shower is separate from the bath and the toilet is huge too. Also came with vouchers for free cappuccino/espresso at the hotel lobby lounge! Very nice gesture. Check-in was fast and the lobby staff gave helpful info on the things to see and do during our stay.

The location of the hotel right smack in city centre means it is really accessible to the market and the malls. There are cabs readily available at the hotel entrance. Starbucks is just across the road and Gaya street is a 10-minute walk away for the Sunday market.

There is a huge market opp the hotel - selling grilled food in one section (lots of atmosphere and yummy wings!), and fresh veg in another, live seafood in another! Lots to see at night!

On our second half of the trip, we stayed in a sea-facing room which had a curved extension so it was even bigger! The housekeeping staff was really thoughtful - they must have observed by the pairs of shoes in the room - they gave us 6 bottles of water on Day 2! (so much water was provided in the rooms that throughout our stay in KK, we never had to buy water. Amazing!)

We had a few meals at the Circles Restaurant. Service is nothing short of excellent. Food quality great. We tried the international buffet on Monday - really good deal with 50% off for SPG members! And the kids ate for free =) Really liked how they did grilled tiger prawns, cuttlefish and crab on the spot !

During one breakfast at Circles, when we were being served coffee, the waitress kindly offered hot chocolate for the kids, which I felt was really nice and considerate. Our first at a hotel breakfast where the kids get chocolate. Not even at the Shang ri La Rasa Ria, where we stayed the second night in KK.

The kids meals are value for money - a giant pizza cost us 20RM, before 20% discount for SPG members. For one dinner, we waited a while for our orders to arrive. The waitress brought us papadums, pumpkin soup and warm bread rolls to apologise for the wait! Wow!

Le Meridien just set the bar higher and higher! We received a note slipped under our door, inviting us to a cocktail session by the pool , with the management. There was free flow beverages (including wine and beer) and finger food like eclairs and tim sum. The chef taught my kid how to make eclairs! interesting experience!

The pool on the second floor is great! Nice views of the sea, nice jacuzzi and not crowded at all the few times we went.

When we used the free cappucino vouchers at the lobby lounge, the kids were given 2 plates of cookies - free!! ( We just couldn't stop smiling at the good service each time.)

When I reached back in Singapore, I received an email asking if I had left behind something they found in our room, and an offer to send it back to us. I am just so impressed =)

Room Tip: Ocean facing definitely!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
LeMeridien_KotaK, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Hello Wyverns,

Thank you very much for sharing your veyr positive feedback with others from your stay with your family recently.

I am delighted that our team made you and your family feel very much at home during your stay. Our team work hard to try to learn more about our guests and how we can personalise the stays of our guests and it appears on this occassion we were successful.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back again soon with your family.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights in the room:
1st night: hair in the bathtub that does not belong to me; ants in the sink
2nd day: requested a room change due to the above reasons, the the front desk very politely accommodated.
2nd room: potato chips and pair of flip flops found on the floor, that do not belong to me.
I immediately reported to the front desk, and they graciously sent me to the lounge, for about 20 mins, while they "cleaned up" the room. Upon my return, the same pair of flip flops were still on the floor, and in addition to that, i also found a hair ball on the floor next to the bed, and a empty toothbrush package under the chair.
Even though i was livid, i certain did not want to wait another 20mins, as i have been exhausted, and really wanted to take a shower, and change my clothes.

I would not recommend this hotel, as there is a question as to the level of attention to detail, and cleanliness they dedicate to the room.

The staff was extremely helpful, but i really wish that goes beyond the surface.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank tissu
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I agree with the previous reviewer, re the hotel looking a little dated, but that is the only negative thing I can say about this hotel. Staff were fabulous, very attentive and eager to please. Having arrived very early in the morning (6.30 am) from our flight, we were extremely pleasantly surprised to find our very spacious Seaview rooms were available. The hotel knew we were on an overnight flight, and where possible try to accommodate their guests as soon as possible. It was very much appreciated and unexpected. Also unexpected was the General Manager Fiona Hagan mingling with guests and making sure all was to our satisfaction. Rodney also ensured our every whim was attended to promptly and with great humour. We booked a 4 night package (2 nights KK and 2 nights at 4 point Sandakan) and were very happy with both Starwood Hotels. Thanks Fiona & Rodney for providing that kind of personalised service that guests remember long after our holiday ends.

1  Thank Lea F
Reviewed 24 June 2014

First is location, location, location The hotel is located in the city centre with a few nearby shopping malls. There is also a Starbucks nearby. Gaya Street, Tourist Information Centre are about 10 to 15 min walk away. The handicraft market is directly opposite the hotel. There is a spa and a tour company located inside the hotel which is very convenient.

Overall, the hotel is a bit dated and is showing sign of aging. But the quality of service is very much commendable. Upon my arrival, all the Front Office agents were busy checking in guests and I had to wait for a while. One of the female Front Office agents was very attentive, even though she was registering a guest that was in front of me, she smiled and made eye contact with me to acknowledge my presence. When it was my turn to register, she apologized for keeping me waiting. I certainly appreciated that. Unfortunately, I could not remember her name but it was on Saturday afternoon (21 June). Check out service was also very prompt.

We were upgraded to a suite. Thank you. The room was spacious with plenty of wardrobe space. The only comment we have is the curtain fabric which is too thin.

The Club lounge has a fantastic view of the sea. Be there from 6 pm onwards to catch the sunset. The breakfast spread is pretty standard with the normal breakfast dishes. Selection of food and drinks at cocktail hours is a little limited compared to other Starwood hotels that have club lounge facilities.

Overall, even though the hardware of this hotel is not the best, the quality of service from the staff makes up to it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YeohJiaYi
LeMeridien_KotaK, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear YeohJiaYi,

Thank you very much for sharing your review with others form your recent stay. I am very heartened and encouraged by your review where you have called out specifically some of our associates and the warm service.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Le Meridien in KK offers a pleasant experience: nice location in front of the market at the water, spacious rooms and friendly staff. Whereas initially I didn't get any response on my request by email to their general address and couldn't connect by phone to the tour desk (wrong number on the website) it was Mr. Rodney O'Brien who solved everything in a great and pleasurable way by reaching out to us and making us feel very welcome.
A pity it wasn't possible to arrange a spa treat on short notice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hello wuyck,

Thank you so much for taking some time to share a review from your recent stay with us. A big thank you for highlighting the feedback on the telephone number, we will definitely act to fix this incorrect information immediately.

Please come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

i was having an great experience when stay here. this hotel was fulfill my satisfaction and the food is very delicious when i having lunch here. the staff also friendly and polite. This hotel also at the strategic location with an ocean and city view. I'm very sure to come back next time. special thanks to GM Mrs. Fiona Hagan and Sales Specialist Mr. Shalan Salam for assisting and explaination about the hotel. I'm very sure to come back next time to stay at this hotel.

1  Thank shaff_cargo5677

Hello shaff,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review with others from your recent inspection trip.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit and ope to see you back in the hotel again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The best place to stay in Kota Kinabalu. The hotel's condition, location and staff service was excellent. Staffs were friendly and polite. The bedroom was large, clean and classic style furnishing. Foods was good. Worthwhile to stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#5 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!