“Great hotel in a great location”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and 7 days. Our first time in KK, so I had looked on trip advisor as to the various hotels. We like to be in the "middle of the action" so to speak, and we were not disappointed. The hotel is very central and there are several restaurants diagonally across the road as well as Starbucks and Secret Recipe not far from the hotel.There were two shopping centres to the left of the hotel, one to the right, a short walk and one Suria Sabah, a $5 taxi fare away (and definitely the most modern of all these.)There was a money changer in the next street and massages, pedicures manicures etc close by to the hotel. We had breakfast in the hotel daily (included) as well as a dinner for two and a bottle of wine (included) and the quality of the food was excellent. Could not fault the service or the friendliness of the staff, Our hot water was not quite as hot as I liked it, so rang service and within 5 minutes someone was there to fix it. We used the hotel safe in the lobby and the service there was likewise, excellent.We also booked three tours through the hotel and all were very good indeed, We did take a taxi to see the Shangri La resort(45 mins out of town) because a friend stays there. It was lovely, but very isolated and we could see no other food outlets so guess you would have to eat at the hotel. If you want a resort style hotel, stay at the Majellan Sutera.

Room Tip: choose a deluxe sea view room,We were on the sixth floor. Lovely view. The rooms are huge.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia M
LeMeridien_KotaK, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hello Patricia,

Thank you so much for sharing your review from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you researched the hotel and we delivered on the "middle of the action" as you expected.

Your review is very informative and I believe will be appreciated by many who are planning their travels to Kota Kinabalu.

Fiona

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We visited the le meridian for 3 nights in July, staying in a suite. We were meet in lobby upon arrival by Fiona the resort manager, who was extremely helpful. And provided us with a lot of useful information, regarding the local area.
The hotel is located across the road for the food and craft market.
The room was extremely spacious, and clean.
The executive level lounge has a great view of the harbour. And the staff were all fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lyndz82

Hello Lyndz82,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor and for the personal call out in your review. I do try to welcome and meet as many of our guests as I am able, so I am very pleased to of been able to welcome you to Kota Kinabalu.

I hope you will have the chance to visit us again in Sabah.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

You wont get a better location in Kota Kinabalu. Smack bang on the waterfront opposite the night markets and surrounded by malls. However for the 5 star rating it gives itself the rooms are really old fashioned and not of a 5 star standard and certainly not of the standard I have come to expect of the Marriott group. As a Marriott member I will be wary of staying in any Le Meridien properties again. So definitely not worth the price. The staff are really lovely, the buffet breakfast is outstanding (even have someone to make you fresh juice or eggs as you like them). The foyer is quite nice, the pool is small but ok. Not glamorous by any means though-you would not find yourself hanging out poolside. There is a fantastic tour desk onsite who were really helpful and well priced. My biggest gripe is that I was charged over $100 AUD for a very small and basic load of washing that they would have probably paid someone minimum wages to do. OUTRAGEOUS! Especially considering it was not even delivered in a timely manner-I had to keep chasing it. Also watch your mini-bar charges on your bill we were charged for items that were not even in the fridge. Management tried to then barter with me over the charges which was not very classy.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the partial ocean view rooms lame view not worth the price. Either take a stan...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KDingle

Dear KDingle,

Thank you for sharing your review from your recent stay with us.

From reading your review it appears that we have some areas of improvement, I will need to investigate with our team your comments on the minibar and laundry. In regards to the design and decor of the guest rooms, I wanted to share with you that we will be progressing with a refresh of the public areas and guest rooms over the coming 18 months which will address your feedback.

I do hope that you will continue to consider Le Meridien as a brand in the future for your accommodation.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Well located so close to the ocean, shops and restaurants. Right opposite the Central Market or Sunday Filipino Market, the location can appear unclean and littered at street level, the hotel itself is well equipped, staffed and serves a delicious breakfast. The swimming pool on the second floor is adequate and clean. Just 7 minutes to the airport!

Check out the sea food at the 'Night Market' just opposite - cheap and delicious!

Room Tip: 'Ocean view' is the way to go.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Carl554,

Thank you for sharing your positive review with others from your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and so pleased to read that you explored the local area. Please come back to visit Sabah again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I am a Gold SPG member so I was offered an upgrade which was basically a room with a sea view…which was appreciated but not expected. We had a brief interlude between excursions, so decided using points instead of cash was a goo devalue. We didnt take advantage of any restaurants or the pool at the property, so our review is limited to the room itself…which in typical Le Meridien fashion, was spacious with terrific mattress, comped wifi because of my status. Right on the waterfront so great access to the bustling outdoor markets hugging the sea shore.

For those wanting a Western style hotel experience, the Le Meridien as a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello beaubo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with others from your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu.

Thank you also for your support as an SPG member, I am very pleased that we were able to extend for you the benefits for you on this stay.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Well, it's an old hotel. But it doesn't meant its bad Stayed in the Club room, would suggest you crank up the air conditioning to beat the afternoon heat. The sea view room had unbeatable view and with that, don't be too surprised to find a insect or two at your window panel in the morning. So, sleep with the window closed. A few small ants can be seen crawling in the room, but it doesn't affect me too much. Staff is wonderful, very helpful and there are lots of good food just with a 5 minutes walk radius.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ReccaHuang
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed withered my family only for one night and was perfect for a transfer / transit visit. A true business style hotel with friendly staff and clean rooms. The gym and pool area were excellent and served our purposes well. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast, fist time in a number of hotels all over the world that had Vegemite on offer which was a nice touch (other than Australian hotels of course). Not sure i would stay again as I would go straight to a resort style hotel which we did in shangri la Rasa Ria but if it is only one night you are after "lock it in Eddie"!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family