“Recovery night after hike”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Vienna, Austria
“Recovery night after hike”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel embellished our Mount Kinabalu experience. After a cold, sleeping on a hammock like mattress night, and rainy, with no view at all climb to the top of the mountain, this stay made our trip. We arrived and felt very welcome, all staff serviced us nice. Room had a stunning view to the sea. We got special lounge offers after upgrading taking the SPG offer and fully enjoyed snacks and dinner buffet with very delicious dishes and stylish looking desserts. All is well organized and staff with hands-on mentality helps when necessary. It was the first time in a hotel like this for me and now I understand why people book this kind of hotel all time.

Room Tip: Take a seaview hotel far away from the lift.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LeMeridien_KotaK, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Hello Zumsey,

Congratulations for climbing Mt Kinabalu! I am delighted that we could provide a warm welcome and a little bit of luxury to help you celebrate and recuparate after the climb.

Fiona Hagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gippsland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here for 14 nights and regard all aspects of the hotel's operation as excellent.
One of the most impressive is that the General Manager is very visible and engages directly with customers. Other senior staff were also walking around and talking with customers.

1. Welcome
The greeting by the friendly staff at both the entrance and at check in creates a good first impression and continued for the duration of the stay.

2. Food.
Ate at the Circle restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The quality and variety is very good indeed and the encouragement to try the "local" menu items was well worth it. I tried the buffet at the Hyatt Regency and Le Meridien's is far superior. Service by wait staff was helpful and attentive. To get matters in perspective, RM100 is only about $A30 so a full buffet is still damn cheap and you have the comfort of air conditioned and hygienic surroundings!

3. Tours
Took 6 tours, again relatively inexpensive, and the hotel tour staff are excellent! Was always met punctually and looked after for the duration of the tour.

4. The Club
The facilities of the Club on Level 12 again are excellent. It was particularly useful after a long day to have a coffee or drink, partake of snacks and watch the sunset. Breakfast at Club level was also well organised. There is also a large range of games, a business centre and newspapers/ magazines.

5. The Room.
Had an SPG room on level 11 and the facilities were consistent with a quality hotel. While on 2 occasions in 14 days I had trouble connecting to the internet it was, for the most part, quite satisfactory. For laundry I went to the Mega Laundry on Ruang Sinsuran 2, just out the back of the hotel, where they charged a ridiculously low rate of RM5 per kilo wash and fold- in the same day! Didn't watch much television but I was impressed by the fact that Australian Rules football was available on the box on the Australia Network.
The only matter I am still unclear about is whether the tap water is safe to drink. Bottled drinking water was supplied but no specific advice was given about the water quality.

6. The Location
This hotel is well located and is within easy walking distance of the Markets, Suria Sabah and Centrepoint Malls. There is also a taxi gathering area just out front.

7. Gym, Pool, Spa

Used the gymnasium and it had 3 treadmills- all working- and a large range of exercise equipment. There is also a sauna and steam room as well as a pool. Don't need a beauty treatment so the spa was not utilised.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club level Get a seaview room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard E
Suresh R, Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Fussy Gippsland,

Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us and I am so pleased to hear that you had a great time in our Hotel. I will share the feedback in regard to the Tour arrangement with the Tour Consultant.

It was a pleasure to have you with us as our guest and I hope you will come back to Sabah to visit us again in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly, you're in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo. You're lucky there is a Le Meridien! Now it may not compare to the one in Paris but.... You're in Borneo! We got a room on the 11th floor and paid extra for the Club level access. It was worth it. The lounge on the 12th floor is the place to be from 5-7pm for free drinks and watching amazing sunsets over the ocean. The room itself is large and clean. All the amenities you'd expect. The hotel is also fairly new so the bathroom is decent too. The location is good. Only 15 mins from airport. Also worth noting is that the airport is next to the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru resort. So we went there for lunch on our first day which was easy as it is so close. If you are considering staying there Id say it also looks good, only busier, more guests, lots of families and great for kids. Great pools for families. A bit of beach. A cool beach bar too. But I think Le Meridien was about $100/night less, even with the club level which gets you free wifi, breakfast and evening drinks/appies. So all told I'm probably 50/50 on which one is better so my recommendation is that of you have kids, go to the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru. If you are just a couple with no kids, go to Le Meridien. And make sure to check our the local market across the street from Le Meridien.

Now a few tips for Le Meridien management:
- you forgot to replace all our towels
- instead of only 2 bath towels, please leave 4. With this heat and humidity, many foreigners will want 2 showers per day.
- why do we only get one bath robe?
- the foam pillows are way too hard, but we requested and received more of the soft pillows (thanks)
- for a French hotel chain we would have really appreciated some champagne in the club lounge. When we stay at the Langham Xintiandi in Shanghai they serve Bollinger in their Club Lounge. That is more like it!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank iknowwhatsupyo
Suresh R, Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Nathan F,
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!

Thank you for sharing your positive review with us from your recent stay.I would like to thank you for the tips you have given us and will share with our team members.
I hope you had a great time in Kota Kinabalu and look forward to welcome you back to our destination.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 days and had a great time. Ideal location for traveling to various tourist sites. Very spacious suites, well appointed with great view of the sea, fishing boats and the night market - fascinating to watch. Staff very efficient and very friendly. Club lounge provided wonderful afternoon teas and evening happy hour with a great view over the sea. Breakfast included delicious world cuisine, freshly squeezed juices to your specs and morning newspaper. Staff at reception were exceptionally efficient, friendly and proactive. Would definitely stay here again if we return to KK.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank WanderingGekko
Dear Gekko2476,
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!

Thank you for the great feedback and look like you had a great time in Kota Kinabalu. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and services.

Once again thank you and look forward to welcome you back to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu.

Sydney
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed in May and happy I stayed here over other hotels I was looking at. We were lucky enough to get an upgrade to an ocean view deluxe and the room was great. Not old and tired like other reviews. The staff and service was really exceptional and breakfast awesome-and yes, the breakfast daily eye-openers a treat to look forward to! Great location next to markets and shopping centres, restaurants etc. would absolutely stay again. The pool area really nice too.

Room Tip: Ocean view is really the way to go.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Suzd22,
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!

Thank you for posting such a warm review from your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu.
I am very pleased you enjoyed our service and the breakfast spread especially the Eye Opener

Once again thank you again and look forward to welcome you back to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a very enjoyable week here in April 2014
Ocean view room was super!
Nice pool...not large but v nice.
Amazing breakfast...ESP the "eye openers". ,! And freshly squeezed juices
Staff were always very helpful and pleasant.
Try the high tea inthe loung bar v good
Good central location to walk to lots of places.
Not reall five star...a bit aged but very nice anyway

Room Tip: Ocean view...ask for free wifi... Nice views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robbsy
LeMeridien_KotaK, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Hello Robbsy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us from your recent stay in Kota Kinabalu.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and the facilities we have on site during your stay. We will soon be embarking on a hotel renovation which will upgrade and refresh our offerings in the guest rooms and public spaces for the guests.

I do hope if you travel back to Sabah again in the future you will be our guest again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I fell in love with this hotel the minute I walked in. I have stayed at Le Meridien properties in Thailand so I know what to expect. After flying all day, hiring a car and driving to the hotel I was a tad over it, but walking through the lobby erased all my stress. The check in was smooth and welcoming. The room was divine. As Ramadan was still going to the city was certainly vibrant and very busy. The atmosphere was amazing. I was initially only booked in for 3 nights. I did check out, and check in to the Novotel, however, the less said about that the better, let's just say, I checked out again 3 hours later, and incredibly the Le Meridien staff booked me back into the room I originally had, which was much appreciated. The location was the best in town, and as mentioned the Ramadan celebrations made it even better. The two ladies behind the tour desk deserve a special mention as the help they gave me exceeded my expectations, so thank you to them. The breakfasts certainly set you up for the day. The room was very spacious and the bathroom huge. The pool was perfect to lay by and read a book. I cant wait to go back to KK and will stay at Le Meridien without a second thought.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Samwah
Hello Samwah,

Thank you so much for sharing such positive feedback from your recent stay with us. I was thrilled to read your feedback and was delighted to share your thoughts with our team.

Please let us know when you are returning to Kota Kinabalu so we can be ready for your return stay and help you plan your trip in advance.