“Unfriendly staff. Smelly rooms. Dead flowers in the lobby” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #5 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
liverpool
“Unfriendly staff. Smelly rooms. Dead flowers in the lobby”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

I am currently staying at this hotel.

Good points:
1. Good location for KK city centre.
2. Large rooms.
3. Good breakfast.
4. Good gym.
5. Small pool but adequate.

Bad points:

1. Unfriendly receptionist. Their booking system is not clear. I booked a Royal club suite but apparently it does not include access to the club lounges (despite calling it the club room). I thought this was misleading! When I argued that I wouldn't have booked that particular room rate if I knew that access to the club lounge was not included, they insisted that they could not do anything about this. In the end, after much "discussion" I settled for an upgrade to a sea view room at a lower level than I would have liked. I was very surprised to find how unhelpful staff at reception were, given that I have stayed in this hotel every January for the last few years (at least taking two rooms at any one time). The reception staff were unfriendly and certainly did not make me feel welcome!
2. The rooms (deluxe and suite) were spacious but there is a strong offensive drain (toilet) smell whenever the Air conditioning system is not switched on. Carpets looking somewhat tired.
3.I paid in advance for my room reservations. Given my experience I decided to shorten my stay and consider other options. The hotel management was quite inflexible and it was only after much insistence on my part that one of the managers agreed to use my paid reservation towards another room which was then used by my brother. The manager informed me on the phone that “he was not in a habit of doing this for anyone and that he was not going to be able to do such things in the future! He certainly made me feel that he was doing me a huge favour rather than being a paying guest in this hotel. The hotel was not busy and when I asked the receptionist if they had other rooms available, I was informed that they had plenty of rooms available. This was indeed the case as I booked 4 more rooms for the weekend as my relatives were staying with me. It was convenient for them to stay at the same hotel as it was a get together for us.
4. My sister’s room toilet was not working properly. The cistern water continued to flow, which was rather noisy.
5. The flower displays in the hotel lobby were beautiful but were a mixture of live and dead lilies.

I choose a hotel to stay at mostly based on its facilities but mainly service. In the past, I thought this hotel was good but it has left me with a bitter taste on this occasion. My family and I used to stay at Rasa Ria Shangri La Resort before changing to this hotel because of its the location a few years ago. I think it is time for me to consider my options again next year.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ed_Guntis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

This is a great hotel. We got a cheap deal on Expedia and it was worth every penny. This was our last day on Borneo after traveling around and diving for 2 weeks so we needed some luxury. We sure got it. The room and bathroom was huge. The restaurant and bar was lovely - happy hour I think between 5 - 7 is well worth it. Right next to the night markets and restaurants - although the hotel does great food too.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

We stayed for 5 nights and were upgraded to a suite, it was lovely and spacious. The main restaurant served good food and heaps of choices for breakfast. The pool/gym area has a sauna and steam room in the ladies change rooms this was a lovely treat we really enjoyed our daily visit to the pool/gym area. We had booked in a Royal Club Room, so each evening we went to the club for drinks and had to take a jumper with us as it was so so cold in there. No matter how many times we complained about it, they never did anything so we left (method in their madness) ;-)
Can't say much for Kota Kinabalu itself, not alot happening there and definately not somewhere you'd go to shop!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

I paid with points so I can't comment on the price. The hotel is showing it's age but they are going through some renovations. Very nice large spacious room and bathroom. Location is fantastic, right across from the night market. I highly recommend the night market.

Grab some beers from the supermarket down the block in the main shopping mall basement. Get some grilled seafood from the night market and have a fantastic dinner in your hotel or at the night market. I got a 5 lbs grilled fish for like 7 USD!!!

We went to the local zoo, it was kind of cheesy, I suggest you pass.

singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

Good sized room of about 42 sq meters. Stayed at a deluxe room on the 10th floor overlooking the sea with the islands. Very scenic view especially when the sun sets or when it rains. Only 20 minutes to these islands for snorkeling by boat and car. Hence, you can finish snorkeling by 4p.m., hop onto the boat at 4.05p.m, reach the jetty at 4.15pm, take the transport back to the hotel by 4.20p.m., wash up and see the monsoon rains falling over the islands at 4.30p.m while you are sitting comfortably at the balcony looking at the rain.

Room was large, have DVD player which we used to entertain the kids with DVds bought from centerpoint and warisan shopping malls, 3 minute walk away from the hotel. Good location, excellent room service. We misplaced our digital camera in a taxi and the hotel tracked down the driver who return us the camera after we gave the taxi registration number: this is good service. We asked for additional towels for snorkeling and the hotel provide extra towels not just for that day but for subsequent days when they saw that 2 adults and 3 kids were sharing the room- hence they anticipate requests rather than waiting for them.

Will stay there should i go to KK in the future.

Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

Strategic location for business or family retreat. Recommended hotel with fairly large room with full amenities. Free internet access in room too.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

Fantastic staff, great service, centrally located - what more can I say. Highly recommended.