“Perfect location, lovely rooms but paper thin walls!”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My husband and I were backpacking around Malaysia and had no set plans of where we would be staying each day. We were traveling to KK and were told to check out Le Meridien. On the day of our arrival we called ahead to enquire on availability and prices and were greeted warmly over the telephone. We were surprised at the rate offered (RM380++) and decided it was worth the visit. On check-in, we were met at the door and our bags were taken. Reception was immaculate and the check-in staff very friendly. On processing our booking, we were asked if we wanted twin beds or king (we chose king), smoking or non-smoking (we said non-smoking). We were then given a key to our room and found we had been put on a smoking floor. We called reception and told them there had been a mistake, of which they were quick to fix up. The rooms were lovely and spacious with a big bathroom and great views and after a long day, this was a welcomed rest. We fell asleep easily only to be woken at 6am by the sound of someone vomiting in the room next door… which sounded more like they were at the end of our bed...the walls were paper thin! The noise was awful. We could not get back to sleep. We decided to just get up and head downstairs for breakfast, which was included. Unfortunately it took forever to be seated and we were put at a tiny table, so we asked if there was a nicer one (which there were plenty of) and the response was not good! Finally we were allowed to move tables; we put down our bags and headed to the buffet but when we came back with our food....there were other people sitting at our table. Our bags had been moved and we were sent to another table that was filthy and unset! We had to ask for cutlery, ask 2 times for our table to be wiped clean, then 3 times for our coffees and then we were asked to pay for the breakfast, which had been included in the room charge! We decided to check out, at which point a huge bill was presented to us. To start with, the room price had shot up RM200 from what we had been told! I kicked up a fuss and finally managed to get a 20% discount, however the final bill was still more than we had been previously advised.
The hotel itself was beautiful, the breakfast buffet was the best we had seen and the pool/gym was stunning....such a shame the service let it down, their competitors are doing it better!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hajitak
AlexRiva, Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience. Definitely not encouraging especially when it comes to the services at breakfast. We have the reputation of one of the best spread in town and I see no reason why we should not be able to also provide the best service in the area. My apologies for the series of shortfalls which turned what should be the best start of the day into a negative experience. We are learning from it and using your comments for us to go back to the training room and improve
Alex Riva

Reviewed 13 February 2011

We chose Le Meridian because of its’ location on the waterfront and proximity to restaurants and the various markets. As we had not been to Kota Kinabalu before we wanted a hotel in the town area and it was the perfect choice for those reasons.

We stayed for 7 nights and booked rooms directly with the hotel on Le Meridian booking page. I emailed the hotel direct requesting interconnecting, non-smoking rooms, with twin beds in one room and a king bed in the other.

Despite making the booking and having the request noted over two months before we were due to stay, on arrival we were told there were no interconnecting rooms available on a non-smoking floor that had the bed configuration we needed. We could take non-smoking but our teens would need to share a bed. This was not an option so we opted for the smoking floor for the night and requested we be moved the following day.

The receptionist arranged for housekeeping to spray the room with some deodorant but it was not sufficient. We could hardly sleep that night for the smell and happily we moved the following day to the 10th floor which is non-smoking. Having said that, the floor itself smelt of cigarette smoke.

The first room we were in had a pretty depressing view of some flats next to the hotel but the 10th floor gave a better outlook. We could still see the flats but only the roofs and we had a view of the harbour, small islands and the town itself through the very large window. We enjoyed watching the comings and goings on the harbour/markets area and hearing the call to prayer by the Muezzin from a mosque behind the markets.

At times the hotel pool was very crowded and in my view the swimming pool is not large enough to cater for the amount of guests, particularly when you have a large group of children swimming. There were sun lounges available as well as ample tables and chairs in the shade. The gym was well positioned facing the water and had a good range of equipment. On one occasion during our stay it was very crowded but that was at the end of the day when I suspect people were returning from business. It didn’t affect our use though as we were on holidays and more flexible. I’m not sure if the hotel takes outside bookings but one afternoon we saw three local girls leaving after a workout who exited straight to the car park.

The breakfast staff were kept busy with guests turnover and we never really needed to wait for a table. They do a round of the restaurant 15 minutes before breakfast is due to finish, inviting guests to have a final helping. It is nice to have such a warning in case you want that one last pastry. The breakfast itself was very nice; with a fantastic range from which to choose. Dishes appeared to be very fresh and baine marie’s were topped up discretely.

The on-floor management of the hotel lead by example in their treatment of guests and we found those we had dealings with to be courteous and friendly. The breakfast manager in particular could always be seen passing a word here and there with patrons. Indeed all staff we encountered were very pleasant indeed.

Other reviews have commented on the noise levels here and I would concur that noise seems to travel quite easily into the rooms. We had a herd of elephants above us for a couple of nights with kids running, jumping and squealing by the third night we’d had enough and phoned reception to ask that the commotion be dealt with. We were advised they would send security to deal with it and a few minutes later there was peace and quiet.

We were also fated to be there on the night of the wedding reception another reviewer has spoken of. The noise from these guests was unbelievable with calling and whistling out to each other, shouting, screaming and doors slamming. A call to security at 1am failed to quell this though and on our floor this commotion went on until 4am in the morning making our last night memorable for all the wrong reasons.

We were due to check out that morning but as we had little sleep the night before, I went to reception and requested to see the duty manager. I was told to come back after breakfast. I asked for a late checkout until our flight later that afternoon which was agreed to. The duty manager offered to provide transport to the airport which was a nice gesture. I really hope the names of these guests were noted and the hotel refuses bookings from those people. In my view they really have caused the hotel some serious PR damage, especially for those guests who did not make a complaint as we did.

Apart from that one bad night we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it for first time visitors to KK who would like to see a bit of the town at leisure.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JustAnotherDayIn

Hello guest thank you for staying with us. And thank you for sharing your experiences. I am happy to read that overall you had a good stay. Less happy to know that our processes went through a couple of regrettable hiccups which I believe are not representative of the type of services we are renowned for.
I do hope you will be back one day and rest assured I will personally work with the team to provide you with a turnaround experience so that your next review will be a better one and more reassuring for other readers who are considering Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Alex Riva

Reviewed 12 February 2011

A really pleasant hotel with exceptionally warm and friendly staff. The hotel is located near the waterfront in the centre of town which suited us well as it gave easy access to shops, nightmarkets and waterfront dining. If you are considering Kota Kinabalu this is the best hotel.
Note resort hotels like the Rasa Ria are about 30km out of KK, which is OK if you don't mind being isolated but for the real KK experience pick Le Meridien every time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2011

Hello thank you so much for pointing out the reasons why you believe Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu is the best option for travellers to this area. It is refreshing to read that our team ensured you would feel comfortable.
Looking forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 11 February 2011

Surprise- Given upgrade to the Presidential suite
Disappointment - The room was not fully "ready" for me

Arrived the hotel late and was offer an upgrade to the presidential suite because of full house. The size of the suite really surprised me but the cleanliness of the main bathroom and kitchen also make me shock. Called the front desk to request for a make up room service while I went out for a drink- they only clean the super dirty toilet bowl and...... thats all.
Woke up the next morning , cant even find anything to make a cup of coffee - the real 'president' have butler or maid to make coffee for them, but ofcos not me.

Breakfast was not bad, but definitely not the waitress. I need to order my coffee 3 times and I have to move my finished plate to the next table myself most of the time.

Overall experience: super hardware but below standard software ( the service).
Will be back again, but definitely not going to accept the same 'surprise' again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniel_THL

For a while when reading the title of your review I really thought we manage to make you feel like a President....but when reading the details I ended up redfaced and embarassed this has happened.
Rest assured this is not representative of our usual standard and a true lesson for us on how what could be a beautiful opportunity to thrill a guest end up producing the opposite results.
Visit us again and this time I will personally make sure you feel special and will be happy to be your personal butler with a nice fresh brewed coffee in the morning.
Thank you for taking the time to help us improving

Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights from 24-30 Jan and it was our first time to KK. The hotel is in the best location for shops, markets and a bit of nightlife and I was happy with what we got for the price we paid (about $109 per night) but it doesn't really meet my expectations of a 5 star hotel. The rooms whilst big, spacious and clean are a little outdated and the walls between rooms are paper thin so if someone next door has a shower or the tv on you can hear everything. We were also on a non smoking floor and one of the days we came back and the whole floor stunk of cigarette smoke.
Also on our last night there was a wedding reception held at the hotel. Lots of guests stayed and from midnight till 3 am we were kept awake but very loud and rude groups returning to their rooms, screaming, singing, shouting, slamming doors etc . The hotel did nothing as far as I could see to shut them up.
Apart from these issues the hotel was quite nice, good pool area, nice massage (although a bit pricey) and the room service and checkout was all good.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

First of all thank you for staying with us during your recent stay to Kota Kinabalu. We appreciate your good feed-back on several of the areas and of course are disappointed we failed to meet your expectations with a couple of experienced shortfalls.
Rest assured we value your feed-back and whilst we would love to always be in a position to read mostly positive comments we need to go back to the drawing board and learn from any situations when we do not do well.
I only wish we could have another opportunity in the near future to welcome you back and show you how much we would like to change your view and make you feel at home.

Reviewed 30 January 2011

If anyone is wondering, the taxi ride from the airport to Le Meridien is only about a 10min. ride, and costs 30MYR, which is about $10. The location of Le Meridien is THE BEST in Kota. Everything is walking distance. You guys HAVE to go the Filipino Market in front...it has the best grilled seafoods, as well as fresh fruits and vegetables. There's also Seafood Village right next to the Fil. Market where they have HUGE fishes, shellfishes, lobsters, etc. in big tanks/aquariums, and they catch them fresh and cook them as you request. Next to the Seafood Village restaurant is a nice row of restaurants that is seaside and has fabulous views of the islands. It's a great place to eat, hangout, and relax after a long day of sightseeing. And for those that can't live without Starbucks, there's one within walking distance of the hotel. Oh, and for people who love getting massages....I wouldn't recommend the one in the hotel just because it costs 3x what you would pay out in town. There are plenty of respectable, clean massage parlors within walking distance to the hotel.
The hotel itself was very nice, with very friendly staff. Our room had a fabulous view of the islands, and it was very, very roomy and spacious. When I return to KK, this is probably the only place that I'll stay at. I was that impressed with the hotel. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Dont expect 5 star as their website implies. Think nearly 4 and you won't be disappointed. Fab base and location. The pool is great with lots of space and a handy bar. The gym and spa are also sufficient. The rooms need updating. For example; our shower leaks all over the floor. The sink plug is stuck in the sink. The toilet flushes intermittently.... The bedroom is spacious and comfortable and the tv has some good channels. You can hear the traffic and planes at night but only faintly. I would stay here again

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Bwennett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#5 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!