“Best only there is no others..”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kota Kinabalu
Kinabalu Rose Cabin Sabah
Ranked #81 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
sabah
“Best only there is no others..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

This place is very good location,4km from kundasang town.nice view of mount kinabalu. But the service of staff disappointing..and cannot book by phone..no updated room rate...but will come again ..if no choice..

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank QamaHeung

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

I arrived here around midday looking to book a dorm bed. I had one of their fliers from Kota Kinabalu that stated it was 20RM a night per person. When I checked in they charged me 30RM (no breakfast included) and told me that flier was old and there was nothing they could do. She actually laughed at me when I asked if the price included breakfast (which tends to be common in Asia I've found).

Also, I arrived without a booking, which they made seem like was very inconvenient. They took ages to figure out if a room was available and then it turned out I had the whole dorm room to myself. And they really didn't seem like they wanted me to stay here since I hadnt booked ahead of time.

The room is basic, which I'm fine with. However there are most definitely rats in the walls and the mattresses are awful.

Overall the rooms aren't great and the customer service is horrible. Everyone behind the desk is rude and unhelpful. Their answer to any question I might have had was always, "I don't know" and that was that. I wouldn't recommend staying here, especially since there are cheaper options closer to the park.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Erinelwin

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Having found out about Rose Cabin in the Lonely Planet guide we all expected it to be much better than it was. We are not fussy travelers and are fine with basic hostels, however, it was like staying in somewhere that wasn't finished yet, or worse still that needed vital refurbishment but they just hadn't bothered with it. The three of us were given a massive dorm room with bunks in and unfortunately the room really smelled bad. The water in the sink also wouldn't drain away and was full of little bugs and wasn't clean.

The staff are thoroughly unfriendly and unhelpful and just don't seem to be bothered about treating their guests with any kind of respect.

The only positive things are that we ate there in the evening (there is nothing else around there) and the food was actually pretty good and in terms of proximity to Mt. Kinabalu National park, it's a very short taxi ride away.

We were meant to be staying there the night after our Mount Kinabalu trek but there was no way we wanted to repeat that experience with aching legs!!

It was very cheap, I think we only paid 15RM each for a night but even so there is no need to have such dirty accommodation if this is your business.

Don't do it!

Room Tip: Not sure about this, just don't stay in the one we were in! We didn't get a mountain view r...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Liana2481
sing jia pore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed here in march 2010 as part of a package with a climb atop mt Kinabalu. I believe most guests who stay here do so for that very same reason (or perhaps to visit Kinabalu park). That said, it's really very basic and simply a place to crash for the night. The room itself was very shabby and the attached toilet wasn't very well maintained either. The lodge did provide a huge container of drinking water for guests to fill up their bottles (located somewhere along the corridor of the first floor) which is useful if you are scheduled to climb the next morning.

Food comprised of simple fare and if you wanted to venture to a nearby town (about 5 mins drive), you can hitch a ride from any passing vehicles (for a small fee) as there are no (or perhaps hardly any) taxis plying these roads. You do the same for the way back to the lodge. I wouldn't recommend walking as the roads didn't have a sidewalk and if I remember correctly, the roads weren't lit either.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank whereverimayroam
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Room was OK but i got paranoid with the water heater and the sound of people talking loud outside your bedroom. Food not so OK but what do you expect from the mountain place like this? Car park was ok and got compound for BBQ... also can visit the fruit and veges orchard at the back of the resort.

Room Tip: Ask for deluxe and upper floor chalet.... not the room in the lobby/restaurant's building.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cintame
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

I spent a night here for the first time just to unwind from city life. From reviews read & passed this place many years ago, I knew this is an old lodging place. Still, I went for it because it's 2km away from Kinabalu National Park & I got a mountain view room. That put asides my high expectations. High standard of cleanliness will surely win over guests' heart after paying costly rate for even a night stay. Food served in the restaurant was lousy. I was awaken not by stormy weather but people talking out loud next doors. Yet, the mountain view from the room balcony brought back my peace of mind. I wish the owner will do certain measures of action to create better place for guests to enjoy their stay as long as they'd love to. Only then, it will be a blooming rosy lodging business with perfect Mt Kinabalu view. All the best!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank j_blue78sky
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We just wanted somewhere to crash for the night after we’d climbed Kinabalu and were resentful of the amount of cash the Sutera mountain monopoly had sucked out of us, so rejected the extorionate in-park options.
This place has the perfect location - a 5 min 10RM taxi from the Park HQ, with knock-out view of the mountain and surrounding National Park from the balcony and window (we were in room 15). You can also pick up the long distance bus or passing minibuses from right outside on the road.
However, it’s still relatively pricey for the state of the place.
It's pretty shabby, rooms very basic and old fashioned, and everything was dirty. The bed was hard with the thinnest mattress we’d ever seen (there was actually a double and a single bed in the room). The en-suite was particularly grubby with a crazy looking old-skool shower that just about provided a dribble of hot water - not ideal after a two-day climb!
There were also at least 4 cockroaches in the room (that we saw), so we ended up getting our mozzie net rigged up for peace of mind!
We had a basic dinner in the restaurant downstairs - not much by way of atmosphere, but the same stunning mountain view which, frankly, was our reason for being there, so a real treat as we were lucky enough to be there on a clear-ish evening.
With expectations managed, I’d still recommend this as a good alternative to the many rip-offs that we heard weren’t much better.

Room Tip: Mountain view balcony essential You might want to consider going for the dirt cheap dorm if you’re...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
#59 of 101 in Kota Kinabalu District
Sabah Tea Garden
Sabah Tea Garden
#6 of 27 in Ranau

Been to Kinabalu Rose Cabin Sabah? Share your experiences!