“something different”

Borneo Backpackers
davao
“something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

A cheap hotel with a good value for money. I like how fast they responded to email inquiries. The location is perfect. Accessible to most of the to-visit-places in Kota Kinabalu. It's like coming to home. They provide airport pick up. They don't provide excellent service but you know the feeling of being home - you are relax, you have a family, you have your own room with airconditioned but nothing too fancy. The toilet and bath is outside but it's clean and not crowded. There is free wi-fi though it was not working during our stay. And they offer free breakfast. But be ready. You have to prepare it yourself and you have to wash your own utensils after and that's something different. When I visit again the country, I might stay there still.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

This hostel is full with bedbugs. I've stayed here 1 night but I've checked out as soon as possible in the morning. The staff is aware of the bug problem but keeps on checking people in. After complaining I've got my money back and they have washed some clothes.

• Stayed July 2012

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed at Borneo backpackers after reading reviews on tripadvisor, following my instinct that when it's a 50-50 review, it could be good and i was right.
I had a lovely stay here I even bought their T-Shirt to wear it proudly later.
Well I could be bias coz I love the Borneo in general, but this place is relatively clean with friendly service, and value for money. What more can u ask for from a budget place?
I stayed in a female dorm for RM25 per night, it's wooden bed and comes with nice aircondition, and a locker inside the room with just RM5 refundable deposit.
I love all the details put inside the place, following borneo theme, even the mirror at the shared bath.
There's a rooftop mini garden where you can view somewhat blocked sunset but still, a nice place to chill and relax with your own drinks and away from the crowd.
They also provide a washing machine and a decent drying area for your laundry. Yeay!
the lounge area is nice and i always saw people hanging in there using their internet / wifi.
Toilet is dry and clean all the time, with hot water in the shower cubicle, and they also provide soap with a dispenser inside!
The location is very near to Gaya Street Market, literally can be seen from your window if you're facing the main street, and also walking distance to Jesselton Point where you take the boat to the islands. The hostel provides good security and there's a nice coffeshop down stairs that you might mistaken to be their reception area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I had a nice experience here and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They even let me keep my bags for the day when I hadn't been staying there on the way back from Sandakan and sent my postcards for me which was really nice! They have free wi-fi and basic breakfast available- plenty of showers and a nice hangout area. However, I did meet a girl who had stayed in the dorm that I was in a couple of days after me who had contracted bed bugs- I for some reason was really lucky as they had just sprayed apparently (although am still paranoid and put on a boil wash as soon as I got home!!!). They seemed to be under the impression that she had brought them in herself but one of the staff admitted that they were infected with bed bugs at some point in July already so this seems to be a case of a severe infestation. It seems to be difficult to get rid of them which is a real shame and not ideal for backpackers as they get in every crevice imaginable. I hope they sort this out soon as it's a nice place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank travellerdcc
Aachen, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

I really can`t understand the positive reviews. I booked for two nights and ended up leaving a Day earlier because there were plenty of BEDBUGS in my Room. There were also cockroaches in the common room and the kitchen. When I left, they were Kind enough To give me my money back for the night that I didn't spend there. However it seemed To me that they didn't care much about this. In fact I had the Impression that they already knew about the plague but they refuse to do anything about it since the travellers continue to come. I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in a Lot of low budget hostels but I have never Seen anything like that before.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank maria R
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stay in a double aircon room for one night before depart back home. the aircon works fine and the room and bed is clean. the whole place is consider clean and our room doesn't affect by any noise too. it's a little bit misleading on the hostel entrance. it doesn't have a ground floor reception, which lead us accidentally walk into a restaurant downstairs.

After the climb in mount kk, I think many people will laugh when seeing staircase. that's what happened to us, where we need to go upstairs for check-in with luggage, luckily it's just first floor for us. One of the best thing is they provide kitchen, so we can just boil water our cook instant noodle is we wanted to.

Another problem is we found that the water pressure is quite weak and end up i didn't get a hot shower. other than that, everything is good, they have all the facility we need, hair dryer, kettle, internet, etc.. (no towel provided), location is about 10mins to beach front/Filipino market. And the staff is friendly too, she helps us to book a cab for our ride to airport. Great hostel and can improve more. :)

Room Tip: Bring your own towel. Not all bathroom have shower gel and shampoo.