“Nice place”
Review of Borneo Backpackers

Borneo Backpackers
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We stayed here back in June, so I guess we came and went before this bed bug issue happened people have mentioned below. We had a lovely stay, albeit for one or two nights I think. we couldn't stay longer as they were full. They have a cat here (a lovely cat) but should be mentioned in case of allergies.

Double room was nice- we had one by the stairs so there wasn't a proper window, but we weren't too fussed, it was pleasant enough. Communal bathrooms were clean and seemed to be being cleaned the whole time we were there. they had (what appeared to be) a local family living out of one room, but that kinda thing doesn't bother me massively unless I have to share with them :)

For whatever reason, we weren't allowed a free breakfast- it wasn't on offer at the time. But this didn't bother us, there's a decent coffee shop downstairs so we treated ourselves. there's only so much (terrible) asian toast & jam a person can take...
Common areas were lovely and free computers. I do remember a western lady (who also appeared to live there) who was ALWAYS on the PC no matter what time day or night we came to use them, that was a tad tedious.

I'd stay here again for sure, but check around for hotel deals too if you're a couple. We then stayed 2 more nights at the Best Western not too far away and it was such a treat to have a proper hotel room, and I think it only set us back an extra £5 a night or something small.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nikki S
There are newer reviews for Borneo Backpackers

Reviewed 12 December 2012

I met my buddy at the airport late at night and we hopped in a taxi for the City Center. We had our eye on an Inn by Beach Street. Stayed there one night and found Borneo Backpackers the next day.

The hostel/guesthouse is centrally located to Kota Kinabalu city center. It's in a place called Australia Place and about 100 feet from Atkinson Tower. It's also a few hundred feet from the bus station that can take you to Mt Kinabalu Park and other parts of Sabah.

Straight ahead you can find yourself at the heart of the city with restaurants, banks and bars.

The place itself is well maintained and clean and bathrooms are shared but I found them to be sanitary. The employees/owners are very friendly and helpful.

My buddy and I stayed in a dorm room by ourselves (we paid for twin room) and my bed happened to smell like urine so that got to me. However, the other room (non-AC room) I used after my friend left was fine.

All in all I would recommend this place for those seeking a central location that is clean, sanitary and central.

The wifi works and occasionally goes off but there are also computers you can use.

Room Tip: Free Wifi, Central City Location, Near Bus Terminals and Ferry Service.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jason V
BorneoParadise, Manager at Borneo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Jason,

We are sorry to hear about sleeping experience and we are resolving the issue.

All the best,

The Staff at Borneo Backpackers

Reviewed 28 November 2012

A cheap and comfortable place to stay for the budget travelers. You don't have to worry about your transport to get there because they will pick you up at the airport. Comfort bed with clean sheets and pillow case are provided. The toilet and bathroom is very clean also make you feel like you are staying in your own home. Facilities here are quite good also where there is washing machine if you want to wash your clothes and there is a special corner for you to hang your clothes too. The location of this hotel is absolutely great where you can get to any place like Signal Hill Observatory Platform, Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal and Gaya Street by just walking there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angiehmk
Borneobackpackers, Guest Relations Manager at Borneo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear Angiehmk,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We look forward to your patronage in the future!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Nice, sturdy double-decker beds (wooden).
Comfy bed & pillow.
Clean sheets & pillow-case.
Clean toilets & shower rooms. Though shower's pressure a bit low on one of the shower rooms.
Room A/C is good, plus there are wall fans as well.
Good WiFi.
There is a 'Business-centre' as well.
Even though our room is next to the first floor showers/toilets, no disturbance from people going in/out from it and in fact, it is convenient.
Stayed for 2 nights.
And oh, like the cat. Very obedient.

Room Tip: I'd prefer my room - 1st floor (reception floor), next to the shower room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Aerand
Reviewed 24 September 2012

PROS:
- Decent WiFi, though it goes off occasionally
- A/C works great.

CONS:

- Stayed 2 nights in two different bunks in the A/C mixed dorm. Both times the mattress/pillow/sheets smelled like old cat pee, unpleasant, to say the least.
- The "free breakfast" is somewhat of a joke: 2 slices of bread, jam, butter, tea or coffee.
- They promised me an airport pickup and left me there because my flight was delayed. Had to call them about it and they just told me I had to take a taxi there. Not very accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank gibbogirl5
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed here for two days in the co-ed shared room and it was decent enough. I had a good time with my roommates. They have a good wi-fi connection. I like the "house" feel to it. I can read a book in the common area the entire day. Accessible to most places. The cafe downstairs is also nice.

The bedbug problems comes in any trip so it's OK. The free breakfast was OK: one bread, one cup of coffee. The staff was accommodating and friendly. The common bathroom is clean. The water from the showers were sufficient. The airconditioner was blasting cold we had to ask the reception lady to turn it down a bit.

This is a GOOD place if you're really into sharing a good time with new people.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2012

A cheap hotel with a good value for money. I like how fast they responded to email inquiries. The location is perfect. Accessible to most of the to-visit-places in Kota Kinabalu. It's like coming to home. They provide airport pick up. They don't provide excellent service but you know the feeling of being home - you are relax, you have a family, you have your own room with airconditioned but nothing too fancy. The toilet and bath is outside but it's clean and not crowded. There is free wi-fi though it was not working during our stay. And they offer free breakfast. But be ready. You have to prepare it yourself and you have to wash your own utensils after and that's something different. When I visit again the country, I might stay there still.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends