Kinabalu Daya Hotel
Ranked #53 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed two nights at the Daya with a group of 26 people. For the price, the accommodations were decent enough. Lots of little issues with normal wear and tear and lack of upkeep, but overall it was clean (enough) with hot water. The best feature of the Daya was the hotel staff. They were very accommodating and friendly - always smiling and helpful. Breakfast was adequate. The mall across the street was very convenient with many massage venues, good for our after Mt. Kinabalu needs, foods stalls, and the best money exchange rate we found.

Room Tip: Floor nine seemed to be the most updated. One previous reviewing stated that higher rooms were bett...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BooBooSquash
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 6 088 240000.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Was on transit in KK at this hotel. Room was very small and quite dated. I was staying on a higher floor where some rooms are being renovated which I checked out but are also small though with more modern design. I stayed in a room with a window but they have windowless rooms. Suitable only for short stays. Location is the only good thing about this hotel as your are in the middle of town with a lot choices for eating and shopping. Front desk staff were pleasant though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JPBKK

Reviewed 6 April 2014

After staying in hostels after the trek we treated ourselves! And what a treat! We got a windowless room as it was cheaper and the staff were really lovely and helpful, spoke perfect english! The receptionist helped us sort out how to get to the Inanum bus station to get to sandakan. The rooms were clean and comfy, air con worked well, bathroom was spacious and clean! the only criticism would be that the drain was working quite slow and there's a gap between the shower and the toilet/sink space, but it did drain eventually. Excellent location and large breakfast selection. Good value for money! Were going back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Rooms were old and smelt of sewage, smell coming through the air conditioning which didn't cool the room down, complained a number of times but nothing done. Couches were dirty and curtains smelled of mould. Definitely in need of an update in rooms.

Room Tip: avoid room 609
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We had a good stay in this hotel. The breakfast was correct and monotonous. It was convenient location for a local activities in this city. The reception was helpful to comply this our special request.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I have used the Kinabalu Daya as our base for each of the four visits we have made to Borneo in the past ten years but if we come back again then we shall look for another hotel in Kota Kinabalu.

The problem is that through modernisation rooms that were once large and spacious have now been divided so that they are now so small that they do not accommodate two long distance travelers with their luggage and are only suited to the individual business traveler staying for just one or two nights. To reinforce this, if you are a couple, you even now have to ask for a second bath towel (though in our case this involved two phone calls to room service and a visit to reception before it came. Additional Tea-bags (only one provided) requested never arrived).

Whereas breakfast was once well laid out in a spacious room on the first floor it is now taken in the Hunters Bar on the ground floor; a dark, dank and unfriendly small room. Choice is extremely limited with little fresh fruit though the egg station did rustle up a decent of scrambled egg.

I will now have to try and find another locally owned hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is where we usually stay when visiting Kota Kinabalu. We aren't crazy about it, but the price is usually pretty good, and the location is close to several places to eat. You can even walk to the docks at Jesselton Point, which is where the boats leave for the islands (that's why we go to KK!). Just a little bit in the other direction is the nice boardwalk area - there is a great night market here some nights. Breakfast at the hotel is not bad, either.
My biggest problem is with the service. If you don't ask at check-in, they will not give you the wifi password. If you call from your room, they will not give it to you. You have to go all the way back to reception and they will print it out for you (it's only good for 1 day - you have to renew every 24 hours). Also, we left at 8 am one day and didn't return until after 4 pm - and they still had not cleaned the room. Finally, the rooms are a little tired, to be sure. They have seen better days. Still, if you don't want to pay a lot - and if you want to be close to the boats, it'll do.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple