“Strategic location with facelift”

Kinabalu Daya Hotel
Ranked #68 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Strategic location with facelift”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and have been coming back to this hotel since 2005 for its location and also reasonable price. Not sure if all, but some rooms have been renovated as we got twice the new rooms which are very spacious since our last visit this year. Breakfast spread is good and wifi is working well in the rooms. This hotel is located within 2 minutes of walk away from Gaya Street which is famous for its Sunday Market. Banks and restaurants are available within the surrounding. Shopping complexes are just across the road. Open air live music at Jalan Pantai is also within walking distance. Staff are efficient.

Room Tip: Get the renovated rooms and with windows.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hongching
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 6 088 240000.

BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Malaysia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Centrally Located, walking distance to most of the places within 5-20min, ATM, restaurant, shopping mall, Filipino market & etc. We spend one night at this hotel before we heading to Kinabalu National Park, the room given to us is dated. But the last night we were back to this hotel again after Kinabalu National Park, we were given a room on the new wing, which is much better.

Value, yes. Service, the staff try their best. Room come with bfast. Bed, comfy + 2 pillows were given on each twin bed. Convenience stores just few door away from hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for new wing, room are nicer. You may want to ask for a window room, as some of the room don'...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jamien O

Puerto Princesa, Palawan
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I booked this room for the location. It's close to Suri Sabah mall & Tong Hing, great places to find foreign foods to bring back to the Philippines. The staff was excellent, the building was nice, the shower was Great! The bed was comfy. The AC is always on unlike so many places in Asia that require your key card to turn it on. The free breakfast buffet was nice with fresh bananas, pineapple, coffee, tea, fruit juice, toast, coco & strawberry jam, baked beans (?), pancakes, potatoes, some chicken dish... There is an egg station where you can get eggs to order, but it was too busy for me to try. A hot water pot with instant coffee & tea are in the room along with bottled water (2 free bottles). This place may not be anything to brag about, but it is a nice place. I was on the 8th floor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Dear Sir/Madam,

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is in a good location right opposite two banks with ATMs (the hotel has no money changing facilities). It is close to the waterfront and a shopping mall. There is a convenience store almost next door. The Post Office is close by.
Reception is efficient. The rooms are average, rather faded but clean.
The Hunter's Bar serves meals including breakfast. Good selection of alcoholic drinks but loud Karaoke at night.
The hotel needs a good facelift but is a good place to stay. It is a business type hotel, not a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: There are smoking and non-smoking floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Me and the wife checked in here after a hellish flight from London to find that the Standard Double consists of a room just big enough to fit a bed in a dodgy fridge that was only drowned out by the very old internal air con system and that the bathroom was COVERED in damp. We opted to pay an additional 55RM a night for a "deluxe room" and this was better. Huge room, working fridge, modern Air Con but the noise from other rooms was still awful. Internet cut in and out on its own accord, what should have been a non smoking floor always smelt of ciggies and the window catch was broken and we could have got out on to the roof (should we have wanted!)! Bar downstairs was very weird and a bit like a shady Pool Club back home with eyewatering prices (13RM for a can of beer). The location was great but apart from that we won't come back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Oakland, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Kinabalu Daya is centrally located in Kota Kinabalu. Within walking distance are tons of affordable and delicious restaurants. Try the restaurant at Ang's Hotel around the corner! They have a delicious seafood curry and sabah veggies. Rooms are clean but the hotel is kind of overpriced. The rooms on the upper floors are markedly better - updated and nice views.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liona Q

Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed there this July for 5 nights, after the first night i was diagnosed with serious rash. The doctors said that it is bed bugs. It completely ruined my vacation as I could not go to the beach or be exposed to sun...not to mention the costs for the doctors and the fact that 10 days later I still have it. So avoid the hotel or sleep with your clothes on!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mimimakedonska
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2014

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels