“Satisfied & comfortable”

Hotel Shangri-La Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #15 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

With this charges, I am impressed with the quiet, clean and complete facility. The only unsatisfactory would be the centralised air conditioning. I do not like to get the smoking odour came out from the centralised air conditioning and hope that the management can do something on it.

Otherwise, I will certainly choose this back if travel with limited budget on accommodation.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Shangri-La Kota Kinabalu

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We booked this one the same day we were arriving. It is about a 10-15 min. walk from the waterfront/night market. It was clean and comfortable enough. There were some minor issues such as a leaky shower and it was a little bit noisy from the highway noise (right on main road). Ear plugs and all was well. It was comfortable enough to book a second night. It is also very convenient to airport. Breakfast was good with Western and Asian standards.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful despite a small problem with trying to extend my stay. My room was on the top floor and faced away from the city. I assume the other side has a nice view of twinkling lights, so I was initially disappointed. To my pleasant surprise, the view I had was of a lush hillside without any manmade objects. Thus, it is easy to feel like you are far from the city when relaxing in the room.

The location is fine despite being on the edge of the urban area. KK is small enough the waterfront is an easy walk, although there are two major roads to cross with few crosswalks.

Breakfast was included, and it was fairly diverse to include an omlette station. For other dining, guests receive a 30% discount on posted prices.

I found the mattress to be old with springs poking through. I'd also prefer to have a bedsheet in addition to the duvet. Bathroom was clean and modern. Room was well cleaned and in good order.

Room Tip: Choose between city view and hill view, but definitely ask for higher floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I'm not sure what people expect for the really low price hotel. But for me it was completely fine. Walkable to most things of interest in the town. Rooms clean. Staff good. I stayed there the 1st night from the flight from Europe, and decided to go back for the last night before I left having had a positive experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed for 3 nights recently as part of a tour group booking. The hotel is quite dated, however I found it to be clean and in a good location. The rooms were spacious enough and it was pleasing to have free Wifi in the room. The hotel kindly held our bags for over a week which was convenient for us while we did some side trips. They were also helpful for arranging transport options for us. The service in the restaurant was disappointing, even ordering some beers at the bar seemed to take an inordinate amount of time on multiple occasions.

I would recommend this hotel for the traveller who is not looking for luxury but who can use the room as a clean base to explore the city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chelsea H
Reviewed 21 September 2013

It was my first time to Sabah and a very memorable trip as I will never ever regret booking the wrong Hotel. I normally stay at the Shangri-La's whenever I travel and was surprised that the Quality and Service of this Shangri-La is SUPERB and MAGNIFICENT. The location is great where it is so convenient if you do not have any transportation of your own. The room was so clean and well maintained as the Hotel is already more than 30 years old. The service was remarkable with staff paying so much attention to your needs in all departments. I had nothing to complaint about as the quality of this Hotel is as good as a 5 star Hotel. Food was great with excellent service altogether. This Hotel will always be my place of stay whenever I am in Sabah and truly recommend this Hotel to everyone visiting Sabah. You will not regret. Keep up the good work and am sure this Hotel will EXCEL to greater heights.

Room Tip: All Rooms are Fantastic Rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jamestee2318
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I brought my parents here and we were happy with the service. Check in was a breeze and the extra bed was ready in a few minutes.. Wi fi was free and fast. Clean bathroom. However, not many choices of channels on the Tv. Breakfast food would need a revamp.

• Stayed: August 2013