“Not worth the price”
Review of Winner Hotel

Winner Hotel
Ranked #77 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 2 May 2011

we booked our stay for 5 days coz we thought it was really nice place to stay but me and my partner was very very dissapointed specially the amount we pay. You can find way better than this hotel more less price.
We checked it about 6 in the evening. No light at the lobby which is shocking but the other part of the building lights are working..only the lobby and at the front office.
I dont like the front desk people specially the front desk operator so rude..i called them and she hang up on me when i m still talking giving her an instruction about our request.
the room smells and small. and also the bathroom is flooding

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kateunitestates

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Am very pleased with the twin bed room I stayed in. Space to maneuve r around can be quite limited especially in the bathroom but at least its clean and comfortable to hang around the room. Limited channels on d tv but what's the point of watching tv when you can explore around town. Only thing you have to be very careful about is the area around the hotel. Try to avoid any eateries behind or near the hotel at night. First hand experience from my colleague where he lost his iPhone and cash without even remembering how it happened. Just be alert at the least and don't bring any valuables if you still choose to walk around anyway. Other than that I'd be glad to stay here anytime.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We came to KK by bus. We found this hotel by chance as my hubby was looking for a toilet and we went in which i thought was a Chinese restaurant. After looking around then we knew it was a hotel. There was a promotion on the hotel rates and after looking the at pictures of rooms at the lobby, we decided to check in. There were 2 receptionists.Both looked busy but they still serve us ok. The weird thing is the payment procedure as they asked whether we wanted to pay by cash or credit card. I presented my credit card but after swiping they just kept the receipt w/o asking for my signature and give the room key. When checking out, they would ask again my payment method and swipe the card again and I had to asked as I knew they already swipe it before but they said that it was for verification purposes. Not sure whether, there's normal but it was sort of scary method. I kept both receipt for reference.
After reading the previous reviews, just like to comment that the lift was working fine. We got a room at lvl 7 and we could see the sea and the town from our room. The room was quite small but the bathroom was dry and clean.
For the price offered, I was glad that there was hair dryer and kettle for boiling water. Didn't have my laptop, so we couldn't try the wifi avail. Breakfast was inadequate. I had Nasi Lemak and my hubby shared chicken porridge with our toddler. I had to have early lunch as we were all hungry already.
Overall the receptionist was 3.5 / 5 and the rooms was 4/5 and I was surely come back again because of the location.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The room is clean and nice but the bathroom very small.You need go to the counter reception to take a password wifi.They will not tell you in the phone.(even u call from your room)The breakfast only have 3 choice.The reception not friendly but the other staff was nice.The reception tell me got free newspaper in the morning in every room.but they didn't send to my room.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I stayed here for 3 days. During that time this hotel just newly renovated. For me this hotel is quite affordable for single traveller, I got a room for RM70+ / night. The room is very small. Television signal is not that clear.
Not too much complaint except the WiFi service was so bad. I need to get the password from the counter many times.
Its been a year now I guess will be a lot of improvement then.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We came to KK for a holiday trip with our parents. All of us (4 pax) had the rooms on the 8th floor. One of the rooms has a sea view which is great. We noted Winner Hotel is one of the tallest budget hotels along Jalan Pantai.
Location is good as it is right in the heart of KK city centre. Lots of coffee shops (eating places) around the hotel. There's a 24-hr KFC (fast food joint) right at the corner. Lots of 24-hr convenient stores around as well..
The hotel has gone through a recent refurbishing. Rooms are decent and clean (our rooms have no mouldy wall), Towels are changed daily. Hot shower available. Air conditioner unit is working well.

We find the place comfortable and we had good night sleep. We wanted a place to come back and rest after all the sight seeing in the day time. The hotel serves us well for the amount we paid - value for money.

The staff at the reception is friendly and helpful. We got them to arrange for car rental for us as well. And the wonderful thing - the entire hotel is hooked up with Wifi broadband (free internet surfing).

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This hotel is in rather poor state and poorly managed. The staff do their best in this situation. I had to change rooms many times because of one problem or another. Some rooms had very weak air-conditioners, making it very hot, even when air-con turned on full blast. One room had a wall that was moldy. A lamp not working in another room and was told it cannot be repaired. The carpet was so dusty that I had to wear slippers in the room. Requests from the reception took ages. There was construction of a lift going on till late at night, with banging noises. On the plus side, rooms were quite tastefuly furnished and had free wifi.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business