“Perth meat eater no misteak”

Brass Monkey Cafe & Bar
Ranked #23 of 610 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Price range: US$0 - US$100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: To Make Reservations Please Visit Our Facebook Website To Attain The Contact Numbers. Thank You For Visiting.
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I had the pleasure of staying in Sabah for 10 days early January 2009. Being a fussy eater I did not have a palate that could survive on Malaysian food alone and I searched for a nice steak.

My wife loved all the Malaysian food yet assisted me in my search for a good steak. Steak in general was very expensive in Sabah. We searched the internet / trip advisor and came across a steak house called "The Brass Monkey".

We caught a taxi from our hotel and found ourselves outside of the main tourist strip of Kota Kinabalu and directed the taxi driver to "Lintas Plaza". Here on a corner we found the Brass Monkey.

The first thing we noticed was a lack of air-conditioning this was understandable as the premises were set up like a large alfresco dinning area.

We ordered dinner and I was given a most unusual cut of steak it was tough and sinuey. The staff were very attentive and could see I was having difficulty cutting the steak. They offered to take it back and cook it further. I agreed and the steak came back with a fresh set of fries. I was still having problems and three staff had surrrounded our table looking very concerned.

It was at this point that I met the manager of the establishment who asked if he could assist me. Feeling embarrassed from all the attention and somewhat full from pepper sauce gravy and fries and the steak that I had already eaten I listened as the manager owner apologised for the inapproprieate cut of steak that had been served to me and pleaded for an opportunity to serve me a piece of selected fillet.

His manner was so pleasant and warm that I found it impossible to refuse him. The new piece of steak came and it was excellent. The impeccable service and willingness to satisfy the customer left me in two minds about the restaurant, one the poor cut of steak to start with and two the lengths that management and staff went to to rectify my experience.

Upon paying for meal the owner stated that he was sorry for any inconvenience and if I came back that he would personally sellect and cook my meal in the kitchen himself.

3 days later we went back and true to his word he waited upon us personally cooked my meal and arranged for his wife to drop us back to our hotel. I was overwhelmed by his generosity, service and attitude. His wife was equally friendly and drove us through a nite market and picked out some native fruits for us to try.

I would highly recommend this establishment for anyone wanting excellent value and service.

Cheers Raja

Love Phil, Donna & Tully

3  Thank MinusZero

Reviewed 21 July 2008

Hubby and I were hanging out for a Steak so after reading various reviews on trip advisor decided to give the Brass Monkey a whirl and so glad we did. Started off with Oysters half were natural the other mornay and were absolutley delicious. We both had the King Kong Steak with Mushroom sauce cooked to perfection medium rareand simply melted in your mouth. The Brass Monkey is one of the cleanest restaurants we have seen in Asia and the service and attention given to us from the staff was as good as you would get at any 4 star restaurant anywhere in the world. We weren't going to have dessert but Rajah the owner insisted we have the Chocolate Pudding to share and we are so glad we did as it was the most delicious dessert we have tasted. We will definatley be going back again and to Raj and his staff don't change anything as the Brass Monkey is great just the way it is

6  Thank PerthBabyboomers
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 June 2008

Foods great, impress with the drinks choices as well...definately 1 of my favs chillouts to eat & drink

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Chicken Chop was kind of good, but no air con in this cafe and portion of food was rather small

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 18 May 2008

My husband and I are from Canada and were in KK for a month. During that time we were introduced to the Brass Monkey in Lintas. The food in Malaysia is wonderful but the Brass Monkey topped all the other eateries we dined in. The steak is absolutely to die for and my favorite which we returned for was the chocolate pudding. you have to try it to believe anything could be so decadent. My husband especially liked the bread pudding. The owner Raja is a fascinating man and treats each and every one of his guests like family. We are returning to KK in 2009 and can hardly wait to get back to the Brass Monkey. Try it, guaranteed you will fall in love with it as we did.
Sandra and Francis Meyer Canada