Step in Lodge
US$202
US$140
Hotels.com
Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa(Kota Kinabalu)
US$283
US$250
Shangri-La.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$62
Agoda.com
  • Free Internet
US$54
US$46
Oceania Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$55
US$47
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnight marketair conbunk bedscommon roomrooms are cleandormcerealhostelborneokkbackpackaccommodationlounge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Title says it all. I arrived with some fellow travellers I met on the plane at gone midnight and just stepped in off the street.
They had good security, but getting in and booking in was simple, easy and quick. First glance it is on an equal par with most average hotels in GB, and much better than most Youth Hostels I have stayed in - even though that is essentially what it is.
You need to get used to the city noise, the heat and humidity, but The Step In Lodge is the perfect place to do this - they even have a good selection of fruit, cereal and juices for breakfast in the clean, bright and open common room for breakfast.
Whenever I am in KK I will aim for this place like a cruise missile. Brilliant.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with air conditioning, that way you can get a better nights sleep by keeping the window shut - less noise. If you get a room with a gecko even better - no flies.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Grizzly117
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Step In Lodge is a good and simple backpackers place and a great base to explore what KK has to offer. We'll go back to Step in Lodge when we're in KK next time.

We stayed at Step in Lodge for 2 nights and came back for a another during a layover in KK a week later. We arrived well past midnight, but the staff was still very welcoming and friendly. Having stayed in both a private room and dorm, we were happy with both.

Staff was knowledgeable about getting around, things to do, and where to get good food, and they patiently answered all our questions about transportation and our travel plans. They also have tons of good resources, like maps, folders with information on tours, accommodation and packages at other destinations in Sabah and Sarawak.

Breakfast is included. Expect great coffee in the morning, with some toast and cornflakes. If you're looking for a breakfast for champions, look for a place close by that offers Roti Canai or Nasi Goreng. I'm sure the staff can help you point to a good one.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure to avoid street noise, think about going for a windowless room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dominik E
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed for two nights and enjoyed the company of the two guys who appear to run it. When the WiFi wasn't working one day they let me use the computer. The breakfast was good and the showers and toilets were clean. I had a single room booked which turned out to be a 5 bed dorm for my own personal use which was a bit strange. Unfortunately in order to fit so many beds in the room a huge wardrobe was placed in front of the light so I could barely see after the sun went down. The location is really good, close to the waterfront area and overall I was content for the price I paid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Step-In for 5 nights overall, both at the start and end of my trip and I can't stress how great this place is.

The rooms come at fantastic prices. All are well maintained and have fans, larger rooms even have AC.

The lodge is located close to the water, which means the halls and rooms are peaceful in the evening, but you're still amidst the amazing hustle and bustle of the streets and markets once you step outside.

The large group of staff are welcoming and full of friendly advice.

The toilet/shower facilities are kept immaculately clean and are located right next to the rooms on every level.
Hot, powerful showers available too.

Wifi is available throughout the building but the communal reception area is so well kept and warming, with large sofas, TV, Wifi, basic catering facilities and a great balcony view out onto the streets. The atmosphere is brilliant.

If you're looking for anything other than a 4 star hotel, stay here. Best lodge in the city..

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and we really liked it.
its clean and the stuff is very friendly.
we had a double room (which is actually a normal dorm room) with air conditioner and a window.
breakfast is included and ok (toast, cornflakes and bananas). And free coffe and tea the hold day long.

• Stayed: August 2013