“spic and span”

King Park Hotel Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #61 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 5 December 2010

A great hotel generally means a comfortable stay; regardless of how old or new the place is. I had the superior room, so can't comment on the standard ones. They are clean and tidy, spic and span, plus it has a great view - which is a bonus for those spectacular KK sunsets. I rate the breakfast as above average; considering after a horrid one from a previous hotel the day before. Nothing like a good breakfast to start a wonderful day with - get a bad breakfast and it might ruin the rest of the day. The Niagara Falls-like shower will wash every microscopic dirt from your body. (Tip: the shower flow is adjustable to avoid any shower drownings...)

The only qualm I have was the lady at reception wasn't particularly friendly or welcoming - but thats just one individual who probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day but I would still recommend this place and happy to return.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank bondeo

Reviewed 1 December 2010

We booked through booking.com and the price is reasonable for a 3-star hotel (around RM160/night). When we checked in, the front desk told us that all their superior non-smoking rooms with king size beds were all taken, so we have to get a smoking room. The smoking room (room 305) was okay, except that the room smelled like cigarette smoke and you can slightly hear the cars outside considering it was a room on lower levels of the hotel. One thing I learned is to keep the aircon cold enough and this will keep the cigarette odors away. At around 3am, I woke up because of the dripping sound, only to find out that the aircon was leaking.

I reported it the next morning to the front desk and we asked to move to a room on a higher floor. We asked the lady to reserve the room since we will arrive at 5pm from our scuba diving trip and when we got back, they gave us a room on 11th floor (room 1101), non-smoking and far from the lift. The room has a nice view of the city and the sea and the aircon doesn't leak. The bedroom is big enough for two to move around, and the bed is a good-sized king bed. I must say that the bathroom is too small, I have a small built and I have trouble using the shower because the shower room is too darn small. Too bad, I forgot to take pictures :(

On our last day, the key is not working so I went up and down the hotel 3 times to have the front desk check, only to find out that the door lock was busted. It was fixed right away, no problems.

The room includes breakfast buffet, but if you are a cornflakes-in-the-morning type of person, don't expect them to serve milk and cereals. Breakfast buffet is mostly curry, fried rice and fried chicken, "mee" noodles and 3 kinds of fruits. I didn't see any pork, even the sausage is chicken. No big deal, I don't eat pork anyway. There is a nearby 24-hour KFC if you don't like the breakfast.

We asked for laundry service but it is not good. The clothes don't smell like freshly washed so I don't recommend their laundry service. They also don't do airport pickup (as advertised in booking.com). We called the hotel when we arrived at the airport and the front desk informed us they do not offer it anymore. Taxi fare is only RM30 to and from the airport. The hotel is a tad far from the sea and market, but still within a good 10-minute walk to establishments like restaurants, souvenir shops and Centrepoint mall but I consider it a good feature because the hotel is nice and quiet at night. But you won't mind the walk especially at night when the air is cold and pollution-free.

The hotel crew is nice and friendly, with good English skills. Each room has a mini-fridge and cabled (not wireless) hi-speed internet. Hi-speed because we got 1Mbps speed while browsing, ask the front desk for a patch cable. You can ask them to flag down a taxi for you or you can approach them for directions.

All in all, King Park Hotel is a nice 3-star hotel, reasonably priced, and excellent location. Don't lose your sense, though. Ask them for directions and taxi fares so you won't get into trouble!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kamotegirl
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We arrived at midnight on Thursday and they gave us a good rate for 2 nights, but when I wanted to extend one night the rate was going up so I checked out. Staff were friendly but not enough local knowledge - we asked how to get the bus to Mt Kinabalu park and after trying to sell us the tours she said she would find out where to go from, but couldn't help us. This is ridiculous because RM15 shared taxis are right outside the hotel, which we found out from the backpackers down the street.
The bed was comfortable with good pillows and the shower was fantastic. I forgot to ask for non-smoking so the room smelled a little bad, and the airconditioning had 2 functioning settings - freezing or off. Breakfast was good, noodles & curry etc and fresh fruit. Bottles of water were provided daily.
The location is really good if you prefer a quiet night, as many other hotels are right in the town and very noisy.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2010

KK can be noisy, crowded and costly. Everything improved when we moved to the King Park. Excellent central location, friendly and helpful staff, good food, free WiFi. Taxis and bustation on doorstep.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trishafine
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed here two nights in July 2010. I arrived with my young son in the early hours of the morning and staff came out to great us and carry bags for me which was lovely. Staff very helpful, room was clean and cool with good shower. Breakfast was great especially the banana fritters. We were close enough to everything with a short walk to shops and markets and the waterfront. Very quiet at night and had a great sleep.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I stayed here for bussiness purpose for a week.

THE staffs were really really friendly.

my room was executive room .

Interior is ok.Not as extravaganza as the other 5 star hotel as this hotel is just a 3 star hotel.

Room got television with ESPN,Local Channel,Star Moviw and HBO which was GREATTT!

Basic things in the toilet.

Breakfast was boring though but the rest is OK.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Luvlie_10
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The price is what you expect to pay for this kind of hotel in Malaysia, in other countries in SEA i would expect more value for the money but in Malaysia the value for $ at this hotel can be considered OK.

The hotel and rooms are nothing special but definitely nothing big to complain about either, everything is just OK. As for the location within KKCC everything is within walking distance, but the same goes for all the other hotels in KKCC so this is not a particularly benefit to just this hotel.

One small issues with the location of this hotel is that there are no natural crossing of the street in front of the hotel, and there is a roundabout just outside which means traffic will flow just smooth enough for you to have a hard time to cross.

The taxi drivers are just like in any other tourist city and will refuse to run on the meter, luckily KKCC is small enough for you to walk, and there are even sidewalks (compare to KL) !!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo