“Breakfasts average had one good dinner” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coast Restaurant at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort

Coast Restaurant at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort
Ranked #16 of 555 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: Chinese, International
Good for: View, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Enjoy contemporary western cuisine in an inviting beachfront setting at this exceptionally designed, award-winning restaurant. The outdoor terrace offers an unrivalled place to toast the Borneo sunset with one of our specialty cocktails.Coast Restaurant also offers three private, thatched gazebos for a truly memorable beachside dining experience.
Sydney
“Breakfasts average had one good dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We mostly had our breakfasts here as part of the ocean wing accommodation. To me the breakfasts were much like any other buffet breakfasts at resorts/hotels- nothing overly special but a good choice of food. On our last night we booked a gazebo and had the menu package A which was just delicious. The service was very good as well.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I have seen the mixed reviews for Coast but our experiences of 5 x breakfast and 1 x dinner were nothing but really very good. The breakfast menu was extensive and supported by an even greater choice via the buffet. Service was efficient and friendly. The dinner setting sees the restaurant take on a more upmarket feel and approach. Our meal of two courses with wine was excellent. The food was very well cooked and presented with good portions and excellent flavours. Again, service matched the food delivery. Would definitely go again. We'll done Coast

Visited July 2014
watford
“expected better at this price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Eat at coast two nights ago, food is at best average but at these priced I expected good at the vey least if not exceptional
First they mixed up the wine we ordered, my partner's starter was bland and tasteless(feta chesse ravioli) mine the crab and mango was nice. The veloute in between courses was a nice tasty touch, but the wait between was at times long.The staff are friendly enough just felt they probably needed more training in gine dinning. My main was the lobster and ok my partner had the steak which was a bit dry, desserts couldn't fault them
have eaten in all bar one ofnthe RR restaurants and for value and choice thus is not the best

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank flannersWatford
London
“Not worth the money!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Having eaten in Coast the night before last, and now experienced 2 mornings breakfast sittings, I feel it only fair to let people know of my experience.
We went to Coast for dinner on 28th June, we were booked for 8, we were seated ok,a little thing,but found it strange for "fine dining" restaurant , they left a third chair at our table, no biggy, but I found it odd! They left us sitting for a good 10 mins before anyone asked us if we would like some water,let alone a drink, we ordered 1 bottle of still, 1 bottle of sparkling,both small, the waiter even said small, they came back with 2 large....then about 10 mins later they came with the food menu, we had to ask for the wine menu,we ordered wine, a while later they came with totally the wrong wine, we then waited again for the correct one.
We then got round to odering our food, I ordered feta cheese ravioli, my partner ordered crab and mango roll, he really enjoyed this, mine on the other hand...I think chef had forgotten that good food is all about taste, he had totally forgotten to season this as far as I could work out,the sauce had no flavour what so ever and the pasta was so al-dente it was more or less raw, not good, meanwhile, the waitress tried to give us some one else's water, for main I ordered steak and chips as a lot of the other food on the menu seemed a bit odd, strange combinations, my partner had lobster Thermidor, he gives it 5/10, tiny lobster, my steak was medium well, but very dry, the sautéed green veg tasted as if it had been cooked in a burnt pan, not good. Meanwhile, they tried to give us someone else's starter...........we ordered another bottle of wine, they came with a different wine again, saying they had none left of the original wine we ordered, again, odd for a "fine dining" restaurant. Meanwhile, they tried to give us someone's main...... Dessert was ok.
This whole evening took a age, we seemed to sitting forever between courses, I don't mind a gap between courses, it's nice to sit for a bit, but this was ridiculous... And for the pleasure it cost £200, which we really don't mind paying, but feel Coast is totally over priced for the service you recieve and the quality of food they serve!!!!!
As you may well of gathered we won't be eating there again on the remainder of our stay.

We have been here for 5 nights now in total, we were originally booked for the garden wing, but requested a transfer to the ocean wing. So we have experienced breakfast in both buffet restaurants. The breakfast in the garden wing side is a far better experience than the one in Coast, if you want my opinion.
Again, they tried to give is some one else's breakfast....we ordered tea and coffee it took forever, the second time I got green tea, which I don't mind, but I ordered normal tea, and when she came with it she even said "English breakfast" ....we had to ask twice for the replacement, I had finished breakfast once it came... I went and ordered scrambled eggs.. The young girl looked at me blankly, and said scrambled, I said yes and went to do my toast ( a normal event) I came back after making my toast, no eggs cooking, so I stood a while, she looked at me and smiled,I smiled back, she said scrambled, I said yes please, I went to butter my toast, came back still no eggs, she had made about 2 omlets and 4 waffles meanwhile, so I stood there while she smiled at me, made another omelet,her friend came along and she asked her to make the omlet, she obviously didn't know how to make an omlet, but was too worried to ask some one to come and help her, this was not cos she was busy, I was the only one standing waiting most of the time. So I wasn't being harsh.

Over all,the whole "Coast " experience is one to be put down to experience ;)

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Busylizzielondon
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointing and over rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We went for breakfast which was included with our ocean wing room booking. The restaurant was quite empty when we arrived at about 8am. We were seated quickly and given an ala carte menu for the buffet. As we placed the kids orders and were about to convey our orders, I looked up and the waiter had disappeared. So never mind, we went to the buffet stations to get the usual bread and yoghurt/cereal stuff. Saw the original waiter and placed my orders.

Waited 20 minutes before food arrived and my "Mee soto" was a "Spanish omelette". For a while I thought it was a very different version of Mee soto, Coast style!

Anyway it was changed and really, the mee soto was not worth that 20 minute wait. The eggs Benedict my son had was also average.

The usual buffet spread was really ordinary, except for the provision of champagne. The sushi rolls were the cheapest kind - cucumber and radish.

For all the marketing that claimed breakfast at Coast was exclusive, I was certainly expecting food of better quality and a higher service standard.

There was no option to eat outdoors - the hotel was "recovering" from a massive private Indian wedding party which spanned 3 days (setup for wedding hadn't been cleared) and the staff certainly looked like they needed rest.

3 Thank Wyverns