“Worst” 1 of 5 bubbles

One Hotel Santubong
Ranked #51 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
“Worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Nothing special about this hotel except for the golf course. A bit isolated from other hotel. When I check in there, they are in renovation process, so the place a bit messy. There is no television channel and phone inside the room due to so technical problem. The swimming pool is dirty with the dry leaves. Only best thing is the room is spacious and the beach nearby. Love the green scenery near the golf course.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I strongly agree that one should never ever stay in this place even if it is the last choice that you have to get an accommodation in Santubong... Totally unorganized, not fully facilitated and not so professional hotel staff.... No hospitality and to make things worst, the hotel does not provide any transportation service...so for those who do not have a transport, it would be a big problem if you wish to go out.... the restaurant would not prepare any food except for breakfast and there is nothing much to talk about the food... The hotel is surrounded by jungle and gives a creepy feel... In short, it is not at all impressive

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank shashaonthego

Travellers are raving about these Kuching hotels

kuching
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I wouldn't penalize it for the rate that the hotel offers at less than RM 200 for a big room. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
overall the facility looks fine. The refurbishment does not bother me too much because it did not take place at the block that we stayed.
The restaurant, other than the breakfast time looks a bit too quiet since not many people frequent it. I am generally ok since it's a lot more interesting to drive to the nearby fishing village for a good seafood dinner. However, for those who don't drive there, transportation may be a problem if you wish to dine out

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank meinv
Johor Bahru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Absolutely crap hotel.
Dirty, isolated (in the bad way- no buses or taxis), tv didn't work, awful atmosphere and unhelpful receptionists, pool okay but still very run down (as was the entire complex), room looked as if nobody had been in the for a year (dust and dirt), but most of all overpriced. Genuinely considered checking in to the Damai beach resort instead with no refund from The One. Very disappointing. Like, really.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank malarial_camel
Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

The hotel is terrible. No longer Operational. I am not sure why they are still promoting the place. I am going to take the matter very serious. Paid for 3 days 2 nights. I checked in and checked out within 3 hrs on the same day. No receiption, no food and no water to drink. The place is run down. Scary and looks haunted. full of bed bugs. stings. Seriously dont ever go there. Wasting money and deserted area. I am just lucky still alive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Weird smells (sewage?) outside
No bottled water
The 24 hour cafe closes
Mosquitos
Standing pools of water to breed more Mosquitos
General disrepair
Staff basically throws the keys at you and you're left on your own to find your way among the "blocks"
Butt ugly, it could be a prison

On the upside
There is a beautiful and well maintained infinity pool. (It does have an odd yellow mosaic that looks like a permanent urine cloud, but isn't )
Large but awful breakfasts
They obviously tried once and it was a large resort with lots of facilities. What was, was…

This would be a great place for a remake of THE SHINING, but alas no character.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank santjordi
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Please see below an email I sent to the owner of the hotel. On the reception desk he asks for feedback from guests. Unfortunately the poor service and complete disregard continues as I have had no response or acknowledgement from the owner even though I know he has received my email his staff confirmed it when I checked out of the hotel. We only went to this hotel because it was a public holiday in Sarawak and all the others were booked. Don't go to this place until it improves even if everywhere else is booked. It trades on untruths as you will see from my email below.

Dear Sirs,

I am just about to have my final (of 3) nights in your hotel in Sabutong. I noticed on your rather grand reception desk that you ask for feedback from your guests. Your private beach is truly beautiful and your swimming pool is lovely, but sadly that is where my praise will end.

Despite your staff's willingness to do the best that they can they are clearly let down by poor investment and misleading information that you place in your room information.

You claim that the restaurant is open until 11 pm during the week and until midnight at weekends, serving buffet breakfast and a la carte lunch and dinner. This is clearly untrue. When we went to the restaurant on our first night (Thursday) there was not buffet dinner nor a la carte menu. All that was available was fried mee, fried rice, french fries and chicken wings. This was not what I would call a la carte. On our second night (Friday) we went to the restaurant at 21.30. The buffet dinner was being cleared away and when we asked for the a la carte menu we we told that all that was available was fried mee. When I complained we were advised that the kitchen did not have the ingredients available to offer anything else other than the buffet and fried mee. This has meant hat for 2 nights I have had only fried mee for my evening meal.

Your room information also states that 24 hour room service is available. I assume that if I did try to order room service, all that would be available is fried mee.

Again your room information refers to a pool bar (that has never been open), a lobby bar (that is not open), a coffee house (that has never been open) and a 7 - 11 mini mart that is not actually based on the hotel site. It is in fact based in Damai central which is a good 20 minutes walk and at least a 5 minute drive away. As we are tourists and do not have a car, and there are no local taxis or a shuttle service offered by your hotel to Damai Central (unlike other resort hotels in the area! we have not been able to access the mini mart or indeed the restaurants in Damai central. A sad reflection is that your receptionists advised us to eat elsewhere as we would have more choice.

Sadly I will be another negative comment on trip adviser about the hotel which is disappointing because with a small amount of investment you could have a great hotel. Your staff are lovely and are in a very difficult position because they have to continually deal with the frustration from guests such as me, who are promised a la carte menus, 24 hour room service, and a mini mart, when in reality the hotel cannot provide it and I think has no intention of providing it.

I have not mentioned that the phones and televisions have still not been fixed, issues which have been mentioned on trip adviser for several months.

Anyway, I am off to have some more fried mee for my evening meal.

I hope I do receive a response to the issues that I have raised in this email and that it encourages you to make the changes needed or at least a change to the misleading information in your room.

Regards,

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool,are nice. We stayed in block 6