“Very special place - made our stay”
Review of Le Nomade Hostel

Le Nomade Hostel
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Beautifully decorated backpacker's that looks more like a European home than a hostel. The owner Chris has so much pride in it and is the best host - taking us out to local market for food, sharing anecdotes, inviting us to guitar jam sessions with his mates etc - in fact, he totally made our stay and gave us a taste and fond memories of Borneo, where it was hard to get beneath the package-tourist surface. Oh, and there's free toast and coffee all day, plus home made pancakes administered by Chris. Unsurprisingly, the hostel walls feature a large number of marriage proposals by female guests. PS My ratings re value for money etc is based on backpacker accommodation and compared to the rest of Borneo, which is expensive.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 August 2011

This is a great place to stay for a few days. Just hang around and watch DVDs or TV (especially if the English football is on!) The rooms and bathrooms are clean and as good as any other place (breakfast is available all day, just help yourself). What makes Nomad stand out is the friendly, fun atmosphere. the staff are helpful and Chris is a fantastic host. I really enjoyed my stay here and can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JennyLacey
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We based ourselves in Kuching to do our daytrips from there. The hostel is super nice, the people running the place super friendly and alwys up for a chat and helpful advise. Clean, rooms /w air con, lockers, fan, towel and linen provided. Free brekky all day long. Free wifi and heaps of movies to choose from, if you should get bored.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Genii_79
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We stayed in Tracks which belongs to Nomad and it is right next door. The staff is great and friendly. They do a great job. You can have a coffee, tea and drinking water for all day and breakfast is also included in price. You prepare your drinks and breakfast in the small kitchen with fridge and you can enjoy then in front of the huge TV in common room. Rooms and share bathrooms are very clean and cosy. There is an air-con in each room. The wifi is for free and if you do not have your own laptop, you can borrow the laptop from the reception and pay one hour fee for the internet. There is a laundry service too. All in all perfect service and good value.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katerina43
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Upon arrival we were met by Chris, the owner and manager of Nomad. He immediately showed us around and to our room. Chris also told us to pay on departure which I always prefer to do.
The room was the most expensive they have at 75ringit a night but this was for a double with private shower and toilet and a window and also A/C.
The one and only complaint I think I have about this place is that the shower/toilet cubicle is a bit weird because it's so small and cramped. It was clean and worked well, but you needed to stand right against the toilet to shower an the whole cubicle would be soaked at the end of your shower, meaning that if you wanted to use the toilet afterwards, your feet would get wet. This was only a small complaint though and barely reflected on the place.
We arrived on New Years Eve and we wanted to go out for a drink to celebrate the night but we didn't really find anywhere decent that night. So we went back to the hostel with a few beers.
When we arrived there was a group around the table and common room drinking and being merry. This group included Chris (owner) and his friend Sullivan who was great fun. They knew we had beer but insisted on us sharing rice wine and their own beer with them all night. There was also a free BBQ which was great. Overall a great night!

The next few days went smoothly and all of the staff were friendly and helpful. Chris was great to talk to and had no problem answering questions on his own tribe, the Iban.
Kuching is a good city and very easy to explore. Good food and good fun are easily found.
I'd highly recommend this hostel and Kuching. If I go back I will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I did Not find it really clean. And stay Away from the laundry Service. I got my clothes back Bad smelling and still almost wet.

1  Thank Mozartkugel
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I arrived at this hostel by chance after sharing a taxi with someone from the airport. How lucky was I? This was one of the loveliest hostels I've stayed in in my 10 months travelling.
The dorms are cool and quiet (except occasionally when someone watches a DVD too loud in the lounge) and they have lockers. The staff are delightful and the manager Chris is very helpful and fun. He invited me to eat dinner with them one night and we had wild boar casserole. On the subject of food, breakfast is awesome, hot pancakes are made in 2 rounds (early and mid morning, er, both?!), there is brown (!) bread and every jam under the sun including coconut, English marmalade and crunchy and smooth peanut butter.. There is also fruit periodically and tea, coffee and milo. If you need a place to chill there is an astounding DVD collection. In general the atmosphere is great and you will meet other friendly travellers here, I found it hard to leave the hostel. My only complaint is that there is a lot of smoking that goes on in the common areas. The location is well within walking distance of bus stops and the town.
There is free wi-fi and you can hire laptops for 5 Ringitt an hour.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo