“Avoid Kuching Waterfront Lodge!”

Kuching Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 29 March 2014

In brief,
No aircon facilities (that worked), no suitable room available (we are a family), flop house facilities, smoke filled corridors, threadbare sheets, dodgy electrics (you cannot charge mobiles etc - blows the fuse!). WE checked in and then out when a suitable room could not be found. They kept 10% of our deposit (they claimed our booking agent would charge them) and would not return cash lodged with them (at their instance) for breakages until this deposit had been settled.They then claimed to have paid us all our money back when the booking agent queried why they were trying to collect the room fees (via credit card). A scurrilous, deceitful owner/manager, low grade facilities and costly as well. They proudly display their Trip Advisor award winner notice in the lobby. Ho ho, must be a fake. Avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Try a different hotel unless you like living in cramped dark conditions and the smell of cigarette s...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gar2010

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

My friend, my sister and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was a wonderful stay. At first, we have small room on the second floor which suitable for 2 person but since my friend tag along on this trip, we decided to upgrade the room and the friendly reception lead us to attic room and we took it right away! Thank god for availability of the room anyway.

The room have 3 single beds with attached bathroom. It is an attic room since we have a staircase to go to another room which the reason why I chose the room

The room is equip
wih basic amenities. tv, a fan and air-conditioner (which is a must) because Kuching is quite humid.

The bathroom are clean and room itself are clean. it is a wooden interior which makes the room seems more cooler. Though I would warn you to be a bit silent and not be too noisy since the room are not sound proof. We can hear everything outside and next door. Fortunately, Kuching is peaceful at night and all of us sleep like baby for 3 nights straight.

The location are the best. It is in front of waterfront, in the main bazaar and near to Plaza Merdeka Mall. You can easily walk around the area.

Though it is a cool place i stay, I would say it is not suitable for older folks or people with knee problem. The stairs to go to the room are quite steep and high.

This lodge is recommended for a great trip to Kuching

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank shareenadean
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Located directly in front of Kuching Waterfront, this is a very convenient hostel to just put your traveling bags and go exploring. Next to this hostel are various shops to get souvenirs. Just across the road, for 50 cents, there's almost always a boat / sampan waiting to take the next passenger to the other side of the Sarawak River bank. There are loads of food around the Waterfront as well as across the river. If anyone fancy the famous "Kek Lapis Sarawak" or the layered cake, just take this boat and get across. So, this hostel is really convenient and cheap.

The deco of the place is very oriental. I stayed in the family room which is on the ground floor. There's also a courtyard inside which serves as the smoking area. Wi-fi is said to be available but I couldn't get myself connected while I was in the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have stayed several times here because its location on Main Bazar cannot be beaten.
Everything in Kuching is easily accessible from here. All of the staff are very wellcoming and helpful. One morning while preparing to go out, they asked us where we are going. We said we like to explore the new location of the weekend market. The reply was, you can always go there another time, why not see the Kuching Festival Fair, which is an annual event. So we went for a long walk there, there where a lot of different foodstalls with some exotic dishes like "Fried Fresh Milk", Durian Puffs etc..Then we heard Chinese music drifting there from the Hockey Stadium, which is just across the road. We walked over and in the stadium was a large group of smartly dressed People doing a martial arts style of Tai Chi. While I took photos from the grandstand, a lady from the organizing committee told me to follow her. We then ended up, sitting next to the mayor of South Kuching plus Dignitaries from the Sarawak State Government. We were given food-parcels and treated like VIPs. The mayoress and her husband asked us many questions and at the end of the performance we had to shake hands with many of the participants. Finally we ended up with a badge in Chinese that said Kuching 2013 Kung Fu Tai Chi. It was a great experience and will stay with us forever.
The rooms at Waterfront Lodge could do with some minor, but necessary repairs. It would not cost much to fix the broken hooks in the bath, there is nowhere to keep clothes dry when showering. Another thing; perhaps they could replace the awful Margarine at breakfast with Butter. I noticed some deterioration of things from our last visit. There was no Hot water available on the floor as claimed, and as we numerous times came back from an exhausting trip, staying overnight elsewhere but still paying for the Waterfont, we had no opportunity to make us a cup of coffee or tea.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hans Q
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 days 2 nights. Being young and carefree, i don't mind the backpacking sort of place. At least the room is clean. However, i traveled with my mom and dad. My mom used to hotels with big rooms, room service and big spread of breakfast buffet. If you expect something like that, this place doesnt have them. My mom was a bit dissapointed coz they gave us a room at the back of the lodge overseeing the parking space. She wanted a room overlooking the waterfront but the front desk lady told us that the other rooms were fully occupied.

Apart from what the title mentioned and free wifi (limited to the hotel lobby only), nothing too special about this place.The front desk lady was kind enough to assist my dad when we decided to rent a car but the car is really beat up (LOL). Most of the guests staying here are tourists and I think we are the only locals.

All in all, I would recommend this place to couples or singles and not families.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the waterfront.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I choose the Waterfront Lodge after walking past and picking up a flyer. It seemed an authentic old building and when I stayed there it lived up to expectations. right across the road from the river in Kuching, this place was walking distance to everything .. restaurants, activities, museums, river trips, India Street, temples and mosques .. what more could a traveler to this delightful city want .. clean rooms, good security, and helpful staff

Room Tip: Some who had riverside rooms found it a little noisy in the am
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is a no frill, basic budget hotel located right in front of the Sarawak River of the city of Kuching. The decor of this lodge is very Sarawakian, and it is located at the oldest part of the city. It is surrounded by beautiful old colonial style shops. The river front has beautiful matured trees. You don't need a gym or fitness center as the nice promenade across the hotel can give you plenty of walking exercise. You don't need a restaurant in the lodge as there are plenty local and international eateries. The local restaurants are very good and cheap. The hotel staff is very helpful and cheerful. My son and I stayed there for 3 nights and I highly recommend this nice little place.

Room Tip: We had the second floor room with twin bed overlooking the atrium or you can have the double room ov...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family