“Feel like staying at local hotel and far from anywhere”

Century Kuching Hotel
Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Singapore, Singapore
“Feel like staying at local hotel and far from anywhere”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I am currently writinh from Fourpoints on my 2nd day. I arrived at this hotel yesterday just slightly after 4pm. The hotel is only about 5 minutes taxi ride from sirport which cost me MYR 15. Upon arrival at this look cold property, no one greet me. I have to take all my luggage by myself and walk to the receptiont desk. It is a very wide hotel. But again, I do not have a feeling like in international chain hotel. (My other 4p is only with 4p Bangkok which I have stayed quite some number time and it is far different experience).

Checked in was quit smooth and they did recognized me as a Gold member and ask if I wanted wifi or 125 points. I did choose wifi.

Again after checked in, no one escorted me to my room, I have to do it myself, which is no big deal. The lift once again is substandard for international hotel. I think all ibis hotel that I ever stayed has "better" lift (in term cleaness and smell). The lift smelt like delivery lift. And with a lot of spot marks.

Arriving at 11f, like other reviwer mentioned, it smelt badly adn the carpet is dirty. It looks like it is not been vaccum properly (or has it been ever vaccumed ?? - same observation this morning).

Room is huge. But i saw many spot on the furnitures (lamps, working chairs). The bath room is also big with seperate bath tube and shower. The bath tube edge is too wide and make it very difficult to ho out. I almost fall down. Shower area has a lot of mild dew spots .

They only provide 2 bath towels. No face and hands towel at all. Ammeninites (except lotion) come in 20 ml instead od standard 30 ml.

Again ther is some smell in the bath room.

Fridge is empty like many said. And does not seems working (not cold). After complaining, they replaced it for me.

The safe deposit box was locked and I called them before I went out to town. When i came back it iwas still locked and I have to called them again before someone come.

Shuttle to town also is a joke. They only have it twice a day. At 11am and 4pm. With the return schedule 15 (or 30 min later). And this is only 10 seaters. I asked them about it this morning and iI was told it is full. I can try my luck at 1055 to see if someone not cominh.

Taxi rate to/from town will coat MYR 20-25. i guess this is above standard meter rate but no taxi want to use meter anyway.

There is shuttle to/from airport every hour. Again this was been informed to me ln the arrival email from them. Also I saw that you need to confirm it a day before.

The pool is also another joke. It looks nice but you have to pass through the restaurant to go to the pool. It closes at 6pm!!! I was there around 530pm and it was close!!!

In short, I do not think this hotel is good if you come to Kuching for sightseeing. It is far from everywhere. You have to at least spend MYR 50/ day for taxi ride to/from town. It is not a worth stay even you are SPG member (well I am that fool that stay there because of my SPG member).

I visited Hilton which is by the river when I was in water front area. It looks old building, but you can still feel you are in international chain hotel when I was at the lobby. The concierge is also very helpful and very knowlegable when I asked many things about the town. It is very different experience compare to 4p. The conceirge does not seem have any clue at all.

The only good thing that I can say about this hotel is, my room is facing the runway, so I can see thr plan taxing.....

So unless you just need to have a room to stay for a night to catch very early morning p
Flight, stay elsewhere....

Room Tip: Room 1133 is facing Kiching airport runway. So you can see airplane taxing.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Hi esusilo,

Thanks for your review and taking the time to post and share your feedback with us. We are most concerned to hear that your stay with us indicated shortfalls and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I have taken note of the concerns you have raised so that I can follow up with the involved departments for action and improvement.

Should your next trip back to Kuching again, please feel free reach to me (Ivan.chai@fourpointskuching.com) directly so I may assist with your accommodation arrangement, ensuring your room is in order & facing the airport runway view.

Guest Experience Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 January 2014

back from a short 2 nights stay on a business trip. Was prepared of the not so ideal location as it is 20-30 mins ride to the convention centre.

Was made to wait for rooms to be ready as i arrived on a morning flight. A room was available after a 30-minute wait at the lobby. I had to assure them a twin bedded room is fine as well. (apparently, one has to wait for a King bed)

Room was of decent size with view of the airport runway (about 1 km away i think). but the lack of upkeep sort of surprised me. The following caught my attention:

1. Wires connected to the safe deposit box was exposed;
2. One of the desk top electricity outlet wasn't functioning;
3. Electric kettle didn't work;
4. There was ants in the room;
5. Ceiling lights in Bathroom wasn't working;
6. the handles on the side of the bathtub was removed but not replaced;

There was a convention in town, hence hotel was busy. Did this attribute to the shortage of hand and face towels? I only had bath towels during my stay.

All in all, i had good sleep and shower worked well. Internet connectivity was ok, though not the fastest, but I had my work done. Contrary to what my colleagues experienced.

I suppose there are nicer hotels nearer to to town, such as Hilton and Pullman.

Breakfast had good local breakfasts such as nasi lemak and kolo mee. Good local eateries right across the road in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms faces airport runway, unobstructed views.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hi LeeCK,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review of your stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Kuching.

We appreciate your feedback and truly sorry for the service lapse and inconvenience caused. Your feedbacks are important and certainly will assist us as we continue to make improvements on our product, facilities and services to meet our guest expectations and enhance their experience. Your highlighted concern I will share it with the related department head for further action and improvement.

Should you travel back to Kuching, we hope we can welcome you back and please contact me (Ivan.Chai@fourpointskuching.com) directly so I may be able to assist and ensuring your next stay with us is pleasant and uncomplicated.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I imagine that many people book this hotel because either they need to be close to the airport or they are a member of SPG (it's the only Starwood property nearby). I booked because I'm a member of SPG. I shouldn't have been so loyal.

Advertised on some reservation sites as new (apparently opened in 2009), the hotel is already getting scuffed and not being maintained adequately so it appears older. The 11th floor had a terrible smell the length of the corridor which didn't make a good first impression at 11.30pm.

The room is a good size and the bed quite soft. We slept well. It was clean and the bathroom and amenities were all right (though the water didn't drain from the sink very quickly and there are already aging stains on the marble). The aircon was freezing and adjusting the temperature didn't make any apparent difference. There's nothing in the fridge and a sign in the lift tells you that you can't take outside food and drink to your room so I don't know what the fridge supposed to be for. It's actually the first time I've noticed hotels banning you from bringing food and drink bought outside into your room. We ignored it. Beer cans from across the road cost RM3 while the hotel charged unjustified luxury hotel prices for booze. Also, it's the first time I've seen signs on the doors of hotel toilets instructing you to keep then clean. What sort of place is Kuching?

Breakfast was surprisingly all right and the waiting staff very attentive. Good egg station. Reasonable choice of Asian and Western dishes. I had low expectations and it exceeded them.

The swimming pool area is in danger of falling into premature disrepair if they don't descale the infinity pool overspill and perform basic maintenance. The gym was surprisingly well equipped. And clearly rarely used.

No acknowledgement of my SPG gold status. Wasn't offered the choice of free wifi (I automatically got 125 additional points instead) which isn't surprising given the extremely high cost of wifi there (I used my Maxis phone for internet access).

Across the road is a light industrial area with fantastic local Chinese restaurants and food courts. Cheap. Great.

We used the free shuttle downtown and back on two days. This was good and reliable.

I wanted to like the hotel more than I did. It's barely five years old but basic maintenance just isn't being done adequately. Whoever spent the money building it in the first place needs to understand that hotels are not just about sweating the asset but continual investment is required to maintain the value of the property. Otherwise, give it a few more years and this place will become a dump.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard G
Hi Richard G,

Thanks for your review. We appreciate both your positive and constructive comments as they assist us in making future improvements. I’ll share your concerned area with the head of departments for further action and committed to making continuous improvements at our hotel.

Your highlight on our breakfast spreads & restaurant associates are much appreciated. Not to forget our signature Four Comfort Bed are known best in it class & glad that your enjoyed it.

Should you travel back to Kuching in future, I would like to ensure your next stay with us is more comfortable and uncomplicated. Please contact me (Ivan.Chai@fourpointskuching.com) so I can assist with your requirements and ensure your next stay with us is a pleasant and enjoyable one.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

You expect more from a Four Points by Sheraton. Where I start.

When we walked out of the lift to our room on the 10th floor, we were greeted by a terrible damp musty smell along the whole long corridor to our room.

The room was nice enough - large but then we only got a floor mat & 2 threadbare bath towels in the bathroom. No face or hand towels.....and we could still get the musty smell inside our room. The next day, we got one face towel in addition to 2 fresh but still threadbare bath towels.

We attended a seminar in the 2nd floor ballroom. That was also disappointing. The doors and partitions had dirty watermarks all over, as if the management did not care about the impression it gave. The projector lens was old, hence the slides were not very clear. The air conditioning was too cold. Nothing could be done about that it was either an ON or OFF system, apparently!!

The whole place just looks worn out & tired - doesn't the hotel management know that there are other hotels in Kuching? Do they not care that most first time guests would not return if they continue to let the hotel get so run down?

During breakfast at The Eatery, Chinese songs were played a tad too loudly. You'd think you were in a shopping mall.

Fortunately, the receptionist Frankie & the restaurant staff are friendly, but even they might leave if nothing is done.

So we will not return to this hotel nor will we recommend it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hi MWLing,

Thanks for your review and taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations and please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. We value your feedback and we are certainly committed to continuously making improvements to meet our guest needs and requirements and enhance their stay. Not to forget, thanks for your compliment on Frankie & the restaurant associates surely will share your kind words with them.

Should you allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, please do not hesitate to let me (Ivan.chai@fourpointskuching.com) know so I may be able to assist in ensuring your next visit is a pleasant one.

Guest Experience Team

Travellers are raving about these Kuching hotels

Kowloon
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had to stay one night in Kuching to catch our early morning flight back home. This hotel surpassed my expectation, esp after reading some not so good reviews as recent as in Nov. I requested connecting rooms and the hotel suggested that 1 room with king bed and 1 room with twins. When we opened our door, i discover that they must have upgraded us because the king room was a huge suite. The en suite bathroom had separate closet area, toilet and shower.The other bedroom was also large and very clean!Too bad we only stayed one night...

Since it was only for 1 night plus we arrived in the late afternoon,i did not google info of restaurants for dinner. So we were pleasantly happy to discover that right across the road were several seafood restaurants and many hawkers stalls which we had a great time ordering / trying diff local dishes!

We also spent time at the gym. It had new and a variety of machines to use... It's a great hotel for biz or holiday travel.

The taxi from the airport was kinda expensive (rm17 ie min charge) to go 5 min to the hotel (you pay at the taxi counter inside the arrival hall). The hotel offers free shuttles to and from the airport (and into town) if their schedule suits your timing. You do need to reserve...

The buffet breakfast was adequate with a variety of choices.
I highly recommend this hotel and would stay at other Four Points in the future based on this experience! :-)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TBONEUSA
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Hi TBONEUSA,

Thanks for your “Fantastic!” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

Your excellent reviews are very heartening and inspiring us to keep on making improvement and offer the best to all our valuable guests. Highlights on our well appointed room and gym are much appreciated, glad you and your family enjoyed it.

Certainly please give me (ivan.chai@fourpoints.com) a buzz on your upcoming trip to Kuching, I’m happy to assist you on the accommodation arrangement & thanks for recommending our hotel too.

Cheers,

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is the nearest hotel to Kuching Airport. Less than 3 minutes drive. However, as a Muslim, I have difficulty to find any good halal restaurant nearby (walking distance). The room is spacious and comfortable. Lighting is good. Even though the check-in is smooth, the person just gave me the room key without even giving any further instruction such as breakfast time, location of restaurant etc.

Room Tip: Any room is suitable - all are comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Hi MrTravelMalaysia,

Thanks for your “Very near to Kuching Airport” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

Indeed, we located one of the strategic locations in Kuching, ideal for both whether you are here for the leisure and business travelers, and an easy access to local attractions, shopping, transport, entertainment and business district. As well many of our guests have also expressed their pleasure on our great room designs with stunning views of airport or city.

I sincerely apologies on the little short falls from our Front Desk associates during the check-in process, I have highlighted your concerns with our Front Office Manager for his attention and improvement.

We hope your good experience will bring you back to the Four Points by Sheraton.

Cheers,

Malaysia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Located near a commercial area very near to the airport, within walking are local dining places. Lots of options. Chinese hawker fares are aplenty in the commercial area which is near the hotel.

At first glance, the high ceiling in the empty lobby seems decent and slightly upmarket for a Four Points property. It's when you see things at a closer angle then only things become askewed to horrid. Gaudy looking gold tree in gold pots and fake plastic flowers aplenty stick out like a sore thumb in the once modern designed hotel decor public area.

Large rooms with a nice full length glass window equipped with large toilet and tub. No fridge, was told by the staff it is upon request only - which I find very odd. TV operations is like a riddle, one remote to turn on and set to the right AV channel, another remote for volume and channel switching. All this done by trial and error without any guide. The bed was comfortable, very nice for a good night's sleep
Toilet bidet pipe was leaking, no one bothered to rectify throughout our stay.

Overall, Poor maintenance is very visible In the rooms and public areas, you can see that the original fixtures are now replaced with cheaper alternatives. Ie, taps, hoses, door knobs, handles. Handheld shower with short cheap plastic hoses that is too short to use.

Since the hotel is far away from town centre, they have a daily shuttle service to town (once daily) and scheduled shuttle to airport (about a kilometre away)

Room Tip: There are rooms facing the airport runway - about a kilometre or two away - no noise issues
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adcye
Hi yeadrian,

Thanks for your online review and taking the time share with us your feedback. We are concerned about your experience and we sincerely apologies for the service lapses and for the inconvenience caused. I will highlight your concerns with the related department heads for their attention and improvement, currently they are working hard to solve the problems and hopefully we are able to offer comfortable stay to all our guests.

Again thanks for the gift of feedback, we hope your concerns will not discourage you from coming back to our hotel. Should you allow us the opportunity to serve you again, please contact me directly so I can personally look after you and ensure you have a pleasant stay with us on your next visit