“Amazing experience!”

Ranked #43 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Amazing experience!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My first experience with four points and it was amazingly great!check in was smooth.been upgrade to a premier suite for free!stay for 1 night but it was really damn great!love the suites,love the room,unique design,large walk in closet,spacious marble bathroom,separate living and room.free high speed internet and amazing breakfast!the staff was really great and they even pick me from the airport without any charge.got early check in since i arrive early at the airport.bed was extra comfortable!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing airport runway if you love flights
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hi aismanggo,

Thanks for your “Amazing experience!” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your highlights on our upgraded room, buffet breakfast spreads, hotel facilities and most importantly the helpful service from our associates are much appreciated.

Should your next trip travel back to Kuching, we looking forward to welcome you back to Four Points by Sheraton.

Guest Experience Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Indonesian first
Lawas, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The event planner for the hotel's restaurant should try to improve the ambiance for any function to be better and at par with other hotels with the same star rating. The varieties of food available should also be of high standard. I suggest that the chefs should have the ability to prepare delicious meal for the clients. On my previous dining at a function at this hotel, i find the food to be of poor taste , not what I expected of from hotel of this star rating.. IN SHORT,MANAGEMENT NEED TO REVIEW AND DO FOOD TASTING DONE BY YOUR CHEFS AS MOST CLIENTS COMPLAINT ABOUT THE TASTE OF FOOD PREPARED.

Room Tip: It maybe at a good location as it is near the airport. But for wedding and other function involving...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hi mimamason,

Thanks for taking time and share with us your experience on your recent visit.

I am concerned to know that your dining experience with us was disappointing. Please accept our sincere apologies for the service lapses and inconvenience caused which marred your visit.

Please allow me to channel out and investigate further on your concerns. Kindly share with me your event date and name, please reach to me at Ivan.Chai@fourpointskuching.com. Hope to hear from you soon and I will share your concerns with the related departments head for their immediate attention as well.

KL
Reviewed 5 March 2014

It’s quite a decent business hotel. rooms are fine, with good basic amenities and facilities. I think it’s value for money. Location wise, it’s extremely near the airport, but I think I’d prefer somewhere near the city. The downside is that it doesn’t provide free WIFI in the rooms. I think this needs improvement.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi Ezeither,

Thanks for your “Decent Hotel” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

We are happy to hear that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay with us. Right at the moment we have Free Wifi available in our public areas (Lobby) and 2 terminals available at our Wrapped Deli outlet for our in-house guest usage. While in the room connection, chargeable at MYR40.00nett per room per night for Comfort Room type and for the suite and above categories will be free

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Kuching.

Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Room: Book a superior room and once check-in being put to 12th floor. Highest floor and my room overlook the Kuching International Airport. Room is spacious. Can put another king size bed if request. Just the room was so perfect, some of the wallpaper does not cover the behind the cupboard. Room is clean and I love the calm atmosphere.

Minibar: Only coffee and tea available with mineral water. Just a sad things is the hotel require me to put deposit but to my surprise, the minibar don't have any single snacks/drinks. Hahaha.. never mind it as I usually outsource which is cheaper. To my surprise, this is the first hotel that does not allow outside food brought in.... hhmm I'm just ate some Maggic Cup, hopefully not penalise. Hehehe.

Bathroom - A very large bathroom with complete amenities. bathtub with shower and rain shower. Love it very much. Towels provided.

Location: Located just 10 minutes drive to the airport. Good choice of hotel if you would like to take a rest before embarking to early flight at the morning. 20-25 minutes drive to the city. There are some shops and restaurant nearby the hotel. A grocery store also available

Service - Staff is friendly and smile always. Check-in takes less than 5 minutes and there we go we got the key. Only the sad thing is, the staff does not inform me regarding there is a shuttle service to the city. Hopefully your staff may provide this information during check-in or at least put some message inside the room. I only know about the shuttle during check-out. Thanks to Ivan Chai for arranging me a shuttle service from hotel to airport. Really appreciate it.

Value: Valued for money as it is a great room. Bed is soft and i had a very good sleep.

F&B: didn;t take their breakfast but manage to get room service. I call the room service abot 10.55pm. No one answer. then I call again 10.59pm no one answer untill 11.00pm. i think they might be intentionly ignoring the call so that guest can just order the 24 hour food. Wish to other some light food but being told only left 24 hour selection which the portion are every large. Price of the food reasonable and delicious.

Room Tip: Higher floor provide better view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi Kennyahm,

Thanks for your “Modern Hotel with Friendly staff” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

It was great able to hear from you again and share your feedback's here. We are glad you had a great stay at our hotel and pleased to know that our facilities met your expectations. Your highlights on our helpful service from the associates and comfortable rooms are most appreciated. We note your comments concerning no outside food allowed and slow service from in-room dining. Sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we will review it within the related departments for further action.

Should you travel back to Kuching, please feel free drop me an email for accommodation arrangement and looking forward to welcome you back to Four Points by Sheraton.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

The building is not well maintained. Stain on walls. Carpet at corridor smelly. House-keeping doing the minimum. No hand towel.
Things I like: Room spacious. Bed nice and comfortable. Aircon excellent. :)
View at 7th floor awesome.
Location very near to the airport.

Stayed February 2014
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Hi Allen P,

Thanks for taking time and share with us your feedback. Your and highlight on our room sizes and our signatures Four Comfort Beds are very much appreciated, we are very glad that you enjoyed it.

Note on your concerns regarding the maintenance, especially on the stained wall and filthy carpet at the corridor. Currently the engineering and housekeeping departments are working hard on this and ensure everything are in place upcoming future.

Should you travel back to Kuching, we hope we can welcome you back to Four Points.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I am a gold member of SPG club and staying at SPG Hotels are always a preferred option.

However, staying in the hotel was clearly a mistake. This is the worst SPG hotel experience!. This hotel was quite huge but the room needs more maintenance work. Our wardrobe cabinet is faulty. The maintenance guy had come to our room to repair for couple of times but doesn't to solve the problem, which I found very dissappointed. The location also was not really good. Far from everything except the airport. Only 10mins apart.

We had the airport view which I found quite ok. Its just the hotel looks a bit rundown and needs more maintenance. Some of the lights at the corridor of room floor are not functioning, make you feel a bit spooky passing through the corridor.

There's no 'wow'' factor at this hotel when looking at the star rating and comparing to other SPG Hotel chain. All in all.... not satisfied.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hi Edd_81,

Thanks for taking time and share with us your feedback.

It is disappointing to know that we did not meet your expectations and we sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Should your next trip travel back to Kuching, we hope you allow us the opportunity to serve you again and please contact me (Ivan.chai@fourpointskuching.com) directly so I can personally look after you accommodation arrangement and ensure you have a pleasant stay with us.

Guest Experience Team

Travellers are raving about these Kuching hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We needed a weekend staycation and also to fulfill my partner's 75 SPG nights so we picked somewhere near and novel. I have never been to Kuching, and while we knew there wasn't really much to do here. Our ideal idle staycation usually involves hanging out in the club lounge, by the pool or in the hotel room. To begin with, we arrived at the airport in the evening and the hotel pick-up was nowhere in sight. We called them and they exclaimed that the hotel van has broken down but they will dispatch a car immediately. So we waited for another 8minutes before a car arrived. For people who wants to be near to the airport and still stay with a familiar reputable brand, this hotel seems like the perfect location. A quick car drive away, it stands out as a tall and wide building amongst the neighbouring shophouses. The trip from the hotel to town (chinatown area) is about 15-20mins and (we paid) RM25 taxi ride away. I was quite excited about this stay actually.

The hotel lobby was hanging with balloons and post-Christmas décor. Our room got upgraded and being platinum members, we asked the guy at the reception if we can choose breakfast as our welcome gift since there are no club lounge facilities. He said "No", so we politely confirmed our privileges again. He said that there will be no breakfast for us! We looked at each other puzzled and recalled that we always have no problems choosing breakfast over the local gift or points. This just doesn't make any sense! We decided to go up to our room and read up on the privileges again.

When we got in the lift, we could see finger prints all over the filthy lift door and on the 12th floor, we were equally shocked to find a big patch of black stained carpet, and all the lift door was filthy with finger prints. The air smelt like chicken coop and the wallpaper along the corridor was peeling off. While our "suite" was of decent size, the wallpaper looks worn and peeling off at the corners. The living room area looked like they previously had a toilet and decided to take out the toilet bowl, leaving the misfit basin standing alone. The wall and floor tiles of that "washing area" just don't match with the rest of the room. There were ants all over on the sink, the pantry area and the dustbin. Yucks! The curtains looks dated. The bedroom area is modest but decently sized. The bathroom has a separate bath tub and shower area but only 1 sink and toilet. The marble tiles have what seems like cheap workmanship - grey and yellowish patches to patch up the cracked or faulty tiles. The doors of the shower area don't seal properly when shut and flooded the whole bathroom when I took my shower. The aircon is ridiculously cold even after we tried to adjust the temperature. We had to switch it off completely and on again when it starts to get warm. The walk-in wardrobe is not big but sufficient.

So we rang the duty manager and he confirmed that there would be complimentary breakfast for us. We gave the receptionist the benefit of doubt that he is probably new on the job. We settled down and went for a quick walk around. At the first floor, beyond the restaurant, we chanced upon what seemed like an abandoned florist shop, with throngs of rubbish, old boxes and plastic flowers left behind for all public view. It looks like a "Dumping area". Its shameful. We finally resigned to the thought that the GM of this hotel no longer takes pride in his/her work and probably couldn't care less anymore; or he/she probably doesn't go on daily rounds of inspection. How could any of these poor maintenance and obvious faults slip anyone's eyes? What we found ridiculous was that they are so slack in all the obvious areas of facility management but so quick and thorough at petty things such as...... ringing the bell at 9am to "check if we have consumed anything from the minibar"!!! We are hardly dressed to go down for our breakfast.

Anyway, we turned up at the restaturant for our breakfast. The lady at the reception was on the phone and didn't even gesture for us to wait a moment. Nonchalant attitude, quite typical of the country's customer service standards in my opinion. A man came out to speak to her and we interrupted and said "Table for 2, please." The whole place was dim, looks almost like its closed for business. The food selection - typical hotel international breakfast with some local flavours like nasi lemak (good sambal), roti canai, rice congee (boring ingredients), Sarawak laksa (so-so). Some of the empty food warmers were not topped up fast enough, there was a young boy who wanted pancakes but his mother had to tell him there's no more and he didn't know what else to eat. The "chefs" behind the food counter sees you but pretends not to acknowledge in case you need to trouble them. The coffee was horrible, I ordered a cappuccino and the staff informed me its chargeable (RM9). I recalled the choice of ordering the same at FP Darling Harbour with no charge. Its ok to pay for a good cup of coffee but the cappuccino was weak and way to milky. I think its more like expensive diluted coffee with milk foam, just tastes rubbish. Luckily for my partner, he's happy with his museli. I did not enjoy the whole breakfast experience at all. However, the hotel is just conveniently located opposite lots of small neighbourhood shops. There are bakeries, provision shops, restaurants, hawker centre etc. (PS: We bought our afternoon tea time snacks - yummy Hokkaido milk cake (RM7/loaf) at the local bakery and had dinner at the hawker (not so good but very cheap) and thai restaurant (good but not so cheap).

Luckily for us, on the second day, we had to meet up with a local friend and he offered to bring us for local breakfast to compensate the bad experience. We had fish kolo mee at "Yu Zi Xiang", he drove us so I'm not sure where is it. The 3rd day, we also missed breakfast at the hotel and got another local treat at a nearby coffeeshop (its just opposite the "flyover" on the main roads). We also learnt from our friend that this FP hotel has a notorious reputation so he was shocked we chose to stay there. Now we know..

We've stayed at quite a number of FP by Sheraton around the SEA region and came to a conclusion that the FP franchises in Malaysia is desperately in need of improvement and salvation.. perhaps they need to review their policies, management and staff (e.g. FP Langkawi was equally bad, if not worse but the one in BKK was a consistently good experience every visit). But we won't be heading to Kuching for a while now, and if we do return, I think we might just consider other hotels.

PS: To salvage the really bad experience we had, the gym was pretty good. We had a good time watching tv and running on the threadmill. They have a variety of state-of-the-art gym equipment; makes me forget the rest of the mess.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brownsugar33
Hi brownsugar_33,

We are most concerned to hear that your stay with us indicated lot of shortfalls. I find it disappointing that you experienced such service lapses during your stay with us and please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience caused especially on the SPG member’s recognition. One of the primary aims of online review is to highlight areas where we failed to meet our guest expectations and rest assured I have shared your feedback with the related Department Heads for their review and follow up with their teams.