“Colleagues were right!”

Century Kuching Hotel
Ranked #46 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My colleagues have stayed here in the past but have long since switched to other hotels in Kuching. I have just recently started traveling to Kuching and thought I would give it a shot. I try to stay in Starwood properties when I can to get my status up and collect points!
The location is good as it is nearby the airport. I usually have early or late flights and like to be close to the airport. Walking into the hotel, I was struck by a musty, foul odor which was very strong. It smelled a bit like sewage or backed up drains. It was in the lobby and also in my room until I turned the AC on. Either that blew it out or my nose got used to the smell. Whatever the case, the first impression was not a good one.
Checkin was smooth enough, but there was no mention of my SPG status, which I could care less about honestly. But since it happens at every other hotel I stay in, I did notice that they didn't mention. It just sets the tone for the level of attention and service I received for the rest of my stay. I was extremely disappointed to find that the gym was closed for repairs. I could see that they were doing work in the gym, so the closure was probably justified. But this is one of the most important things about a hotel to me. I travel a lot and need a gym. There was no mention of it on the website, no email to me after reservation that some facilities were close, not even a mention at the front desk. When I called to find out why it was closed or when it would be open, it was a long and unpleasant conversation with most of the time spent listening to the front office staff argue about what was happening in the gym and when it would be open again. I guess the hold buttons of the phones were also broken.
Breakfast didn't go much better. The food was fine but the servers were absent. They walked me halfway into the restaurant and then turned around. No one was around to clear tables, offer coffee, or tea, etc.
Overall, the hotel was depressing and a bit dilapidated. There were small pieces of paper, lint, and garbage in the hallway outside my room. The carpet was also ripped in many different places. The walls needed work. Half of the lights were off which made for a dark walk to my room. I ended up checking out after just one night and moved to another hotel for the rest of my Kuching stay. When I attempted to get the duty manager out to speak to me, I was told over and over that all the managers were in a meeting and not available. Sorry, but the duty manager's job is to attend to guests.
Really disappointed and I don't expect I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jchanlifat
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hi jchanlifat,,

Thanks for taking time and shared your review with us. We sorry to hear of your disappointment, please accept our sincere apologies for the service lapse and regret that we have been inconsistent in delivering our on-brand service. Rest assured, your feedback is important to us and I have shared your helpful comments with the related departments for their attention.

Should you allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in future, please feel free reach to me (Ivan.Chai@fourpointskuching.com) directly may assist with your accommodation requirement and arrangement.

There are newer reviews for Century Kuching Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have stayed in Junior Suite for 4 nights.
And it is such a great experience to stay in this hotel.

Very hospitable.. very flexible... the service also excèllent..the view frok the room is so nice.. and accessible.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Tiket.com

Hi Meliantha T,

Thanks for your “amazing” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that your overall stay with us was an enjoyable experience. Your highlights on our well design Junior Suite, nice views, and amenities are much appreciated.

Hopefully on your next trip travel back to Kuching we look forward to welcoming you back to Four Points.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

7. Old towel
Positive:
1. Very close to airport if you have an early flight
2. They doesn't care to any complained

Room Tip: If you have an early flight. This Dirty Hotel is nearest Kuching Airport
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hi Asianaro,

We are most concerned to hear that we failed to meet your expectations and please accept our sincere apologies for the service lapses and the inconvenience caused. Providing an enjoyable and comfortable experience for our guests is a high priority of the hotel and I regret that we have been inconsistent in delivering our on-brand service. I have shared your comments with our Front Office, housekeeping and engineering departments for their attention and follow up.

Should you allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again, please contact me directly (Ivan.chai@fourpointskuching.com) so I may be able to assist with your accommodation requirements and ensure your stay with us is pleasant.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Unfortunately this was a very bad experience, the hotel looks new in the lobby but the elevators seem to be used to transport waste and smell of old rancid garbage, the room are no better 1) the aircon is very loud, the smell is almost unbearable and most things don't work.

the breakfast is no better - the only thing nice about the hotel is there is food within walking distance

I've also been billed for 2 rooms - and its taken over 30 days and still no answer.

This is a shame on you to the SPG who can and should do better - only stay if you need the points

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Hi Spacman,

We are most concerned to hear that we failed to meet your expectations and please accept our sincere apologies for the service lapses and the inconvenience caused. Providing an enjoyable and comfortable experience for our guests is a high priority of the hotel and I regret that we have been inconsistent in delivering our on-brand service. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping and engineering departments for their attention and follow up. About the mistakes on your billing, believe that our finance and reservation associates already rectify and get back to you accordingly

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My first experience with four points and it was amazingly great!check in was smooth.been upgrade to a premier suite for free!stay for 1 night but it was really damn great!love the suites,love the room,unique design,large walk in closet,spacious marble bathroom,separate living and room.free high speed internet and amazing breakfast!the staff was really great and they even pick me from the airport without any charge.got early check in since i arrive early at the airport.bed was extra comfortable!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing airport runway if you love flights
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Hi aismanggo,

Thanks for your “Amazing experience!” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your highlights on our upgraded room, buffet breakfast spreads, hotel facilities and most importantly the helpful service from our associates are much appreciated.

Should your next trip travel back to Kuching, we looking forward to welcome you back to Four Points by Sheraton.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The event planner for the hotel's restaurant should try to improve the ambiance for any function to be better and at par with other hotels with the same star rating. The varieties of food available should also be of high standard. I suggest that the chefs should have the ability to prepare delicious meal for the clients. On my previous dining at a function at this hotel, i find the food to be of poor taste , not what I expected of from hotel of this star rating.. IN SHORT,MANAGEMENT NEED TO REVIEW AND DO FOOD TASTING DONE BY YOUR CHEFS AS MOST CLIENTS COMPLAINT ABOUT THE TASTE OF FOOD PREPARED.

Room Tip: It maybe at a good location as it is near the airport. But for wedding and other function involving...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hi mimamason,

Thanks for taking time and share with us your experience on your recent visit.

I am concerned to know that your dining experience with us was disappointing. Please accept our sincere apologies for the service lapses and inconvenience caused which marred your visit.

Please allow me to channel out and investigate further on your concerns. Kindly share with me your event date and name, please reach to me at Ivan.Chai@fourpointskuching.com. Hope to hear from you soon and I will share your concerns with the related departments head for their immediate attention as well.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

It’s quite a decent business hotel. rooms are fine, with good basic amenities and facilities. I think it’s value for money. Location wise, it’s extremely near the airport, but I think I’d prefer somewhere near the city. The downside is that it doesn’t provide free WIFI in the rooms. I think this needs improvement.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hi Ezeither,

Thanks for your “Decent Hotel” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

We are happy to hear that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay with us. Right at the moment we have Free Wifi available in our public areas (Lobby) and 2 terminals available at our Wrapped Deli outlet for our in-house guest usage. While in the room connection, chargeable at MYR40.00nett per room per night for Comfort Room type and for the suite and above categories will be free

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Kuching.