My colleagues have stayed here in the past but have long since switched to other hotels in Kuching. I have just recently started traveling to Kuching and thought I would give it a shot. I try to stay in Starwood properties when I can to get my status up and collect points!
The location is good as it is nearby the airport. I usually have early or late flights and like to be close to the airport. Walking into the hotel, I was struck by a musty, foul odor which was very strong. It smelled a bit like sewage or backed up drains. It was in the lobby and also in my room until I turned the AC on. Either that blew it out or my nose got used to the smell. Whatever the case, the first impression was not a good one.
Checkin was smooth enough, but there was no mention of my SPG status, which I could care less about honestly. But since it happens at every other hotel I stay in, I did notice that they didn't mention. It just sets the tone for the level of attention and service I received for the rest of my stay. I was extremely disappointed to find that the gym was closed for repairs. I could see that they were doing work in the gym, so the closure was probably justified. But this is one of the most important things about a hotel to me. I travel a lot and need a gym. There was no mention of it on the website, no email to me after reservation that some facilities were close, not even a mention at the front desk. When I called to find out why it was closed or when it would be open, it was a long and unpleasant conversation with most of the time spent listening to the front office staff argue about what was happening in the gym and when it would be open again. I guess the hold buttons of the phones were also broken.
Breakfast didn't go much better. The food was fine but the servers were absent. They walked me halfway into the restaurant and then turned around. No one was around to clear tables, offer coffee, or tea, etc.
Overall, the hotel was depressing and a bit dilapidated. There were small pieces of paper, lint, and garbage in the hallway outside my room. The carpet was also ripped in many different places. The walls needed work. Half of the lights were off which made for a dark walk to my room. I ended up checking out after just one night and moved to another hotel for the rest of my Kuching stay. When I attempted to get the duty manager out to speak to me, I was told over and over that all the managers were in a meeting and not available. Sorry, but the duty manager's job is to attend to guests.
Really disappointed and I don't expect I will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Get Where You Need to Go. Welcome to the Century Kuching Hotel in Sarawak, East Malaysia, on the amazing island of Borneo. We're located in the middle of the BDC commercial hub, near The Spring mall. We're also near Kuching International Airport (KCH). Free to Choose. Whether you're here for business or pleasure, we've got you covered with outstanding event spaces and contemporary restaurants and a bar. We also offer plenty of ways to stay active - such as our 24-hour fitness centre and a great outdoor pool - and to stay connected - like our 24-hour business centre and free Wi-Fi in all public areas. You'll even get complimentary daily newspapers and bottled water. Don't worry; there are no hidden fees. Casual Comfort. Our 435 rooms and suites are designed to make you feel right at home ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Century Kuching Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Points By Sheraton Kuching
- Four Points By Sheraton Kuching Hotel Kuching
- Four Points Kuching