“Second chance was not deserved!”

Century Kuching Hotel
Ranked #46 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed a while back, and it was awful. For reasons I don't want to go into, I decided to give it another chance. What a mistake! Where to start? The hotel is dirty everywhere! Nothing works. Plugs in the room had no power. The floor lamp had no on/off switch and had to be unplugged to turn it off. The bathroom sink turned itself off as the weight of the handle caused it to fall and shut itself off. I had to wash one hand at a time while holding the handle with the other. The clock was one hour slow. It am VERY glad I realized that before morning or that could have been a disaster. The toiletries were tiny. If you share a room, it is not even enough for two people to take one shower. The public areas of the hotel are dark at all hours of the day. The lobby stinks. I commented on this several months ago. At the time, I thought it was just a temporary thing. But several months later the lobby still smells like a mix of hot garbage mixed with a musty drain! The staff don't seem to notice. From the service side, there was not a single error-free exchange during my stay. During checkin, the staff argued with me about my SPG status and essentially told me I was lying about my status level. Eventually, he kind of grunted and half nodded which I guess means he accepted it but still didn't believe me. I found a note in my room that night welcoming me to the hotel and congratulating me on my free upgrade to a suite. The problem is that my status was still listed wrong on the sheet and I was not in a suite! I told my coworker that they could save the paper next time and just slap me in the face! The gym, to their credit is surprisingly nice. It is large and has very nice equipment. But again, nothing was without fault here. You have to call the front desk and wait for someone to come let you into the gym for "security and safety reasons." I suggested putting a card reader on the door so that hotel guests can let themselves in. This was met with another grunt of (dis)approval? The restaurant was no better as my specific questions about dishes were answered incorrectly and I was served food I cannot eat. This is NOT an SPG property in any way, shape, or form. That name needs to be taken down ASAP to avoid further damage to SPG's reputation. There is mold all over the bathrooms and lobby. This is probably the musty smell that hangs in the air. Do not stay here. Do not consider it. Do not go here to eat. Avoid this place like you would avoid a rusty knife with a splintered handle. Oh, and while it is close to the airport, it is far from city center. So the location doesn't even help to redeem anything about the horrible hotel. My favorite thing of all is the rule that you can't bring food and drinks into the hotel! I am sure they don't/can't enforce it, but to even have this rule is ridiculous!

Room Tip: Rooms are better in ANY hotel other than this one!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jchanlifat
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Hi jchanlifat,

We are most concerned to know that we failed to meet your expectations again and please accept our sincere apologies for the service lapsed.

I have shared your comments with our Room Division Manager, housekeeping and engineering departments for their attention and action especially on the room and cleanliness concerns.

Again thanks for your taking time to share your stay experience with us and we value your patronage on our SPG program.

There are newer reviews for Century Kuching Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel because close to airport and good meeting facilities. Room are well priced and value for money. Service attentive and caring. Most of all sincerely warm and smiling. Good English skills. Tasty breakfast and for dinner try local food. It is great. The pool was absolutely. refreshing after a day work. Good stay overall

• Stayed: December 2013

Hi jfjlawai,

Thanks for your “Good stay and efficient service” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

We are thrilled to know that you had a pleasant experience at our hotel. It is indeed both comforting and encouraging to receive positive reviews such as yours and to learn that we have met your expectations on all aspects of your stay.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the Four Points by Sheraton when you travel back to Kuching.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed for one night here because it close to the airport. The room was spacious,the bed is large and comfortable. We are very happy to stay here. One thing to complain just for the breakfast. We are in hurry to the airport in the early morning and the receptionist say that we can get a take-away breakfast. But the staff in restaurant there not allowed us to take a boiled egg. He said that we can only take the bread and cakes. I mean we've paid for the breakfast and why can't we get just for the boiled egg? I don't get it

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Linda T,

Thanks for your “Nice Stay” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

We appreciate your favorable comments and pleased able to meet your expectations. I already shared your concerns with our F&B Manager for his attention and follow up, we sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Again thanks your feedback, should you travel back to Kuching we hope we can welcome you back to Four Points.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed four nights. Really close to the airport but quite some distance from the city centre. The lobby is laid out like a long airport terminal. Plenty of seats were provided enabling use of the free wifi which was available only in the lobby. There are garish plastic flowers and trees with music from an old ‘Chicago’ album playing all day long, every day. Rooms were large. Neither the safe nor the refrigerator in the room was plugging in and it was an ordeal to find the plugs. Bathrooms were spacious. No face or hand towels though. The ports for charging were traveller friendly. The breakfast was fairly monotonous. And if you are a vegetarian no one can helpyou. The only stuff on the menu was a cheese pizza and a cheese sandwich. The staff however were very helpful with calling cabs etc.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Hi Meenakshi S,

Glad to hear that you are happy with our well-situated location which is close to the transport hubs (Kuching International Airport & Kuching Sentral the Regional Bus Terminal), industrial areas and shopping (The Spring Shopping Mall, Boulevard Hyper Mall, City One Mega Mall).

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you come across. Rest assured, I will share your notes with our Room Divisions Manager and Executive Chef for their attention and follow up.

Should you travel back to Kuching and allow us the opportunity to welcome you back, we hope we can welcome you back to Four Points and please do not hesitate to contact me (Ivan.Chai@fourpointskuching.com) directly so I may assist with your accommodation arrangement..

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Four points by sheraton kuching is only about 10mins drive from the airport.

Its location is close to all the malls and shops and residential areas in the outskirts of the city.

Pls note that this is not in the centre of the city but is easily accessible by anyone with a car.

Rooms are quite big. Breakfast is ok ok but generally a good hotel. I stayed there twice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julian F
FPSheratonKuching, Guest Experience Team at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hi Julian F,

Thanks for your “Central Location” review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching!

Welcome back!

It’s really cheering and glad to hear that you are happy with our hotel services, facilities & well-situated locations which close to the transport hubs (Kuching International Airport & Kuching Sentral the Regional Bus Terminal), industrial area and shopping (The Spring Shopping Mall, Boulevard Hyper Mall, City One Mega Mall).

Should you travel back to Kuching again, we look forward to welcoming you back again

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My colleagues have stayed here before. We booked via our company using letter of understanding (LOU) and have called the hotel to make sure they understand our booking that we needed 3 rooms with one of the rooms should be two single beds with extra bed (to be occupied with 3 people); that means with extra charge, as written clearly in our letter. However, when we arrived at 10pm (late check-in), the front-desk said our booking was invalid and that we have to pay the deposits for the whole week. We explained to the front desk and they went in their office (probably to discuss with their supervisor) and we managed to sort things out without having to pay the deposit. It seems like the front desk didn't liaise very well with the reception dept?

When we have checked-in and received our access cards, to our disappointment, the room that should be 2 single beds with extra bed does not have the extra bed. When asked the front desk, they said they don't have the extra bed for the first night and they will provide it the next day. However, after requested again the second day, the extra bed never arrived until the end of the stay. Worse still, they wanted to charge us full amount "with the extra bed" at the end of the day during check-out and asked us to acknowledge and sign.

The housekeeping service should be improved. My experience - they didn't put back the glass to where it should, the bath robe was gone (it was there on the first and second day), they forgot to give new towel; only took away the used one, and no toilet papers were given when the existing ones have finished.

The delivery of the sahur meals were inconsistent. Hopefully can improve on that next year.

Other than that, the room was ok and the location is very near to airport. Hope the hotel can improve their service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 713JaneC350

Hi 713JaneC350,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the service lapsed and the inconvenience caused.

I will share your feedbacks with the Room Division Manager and Assistant Front Office Manager for their attention on the room cleanliness and service. While for the inconsistent sahur meals delivery, I will share it with our F&B Manager and Executive Chef.

Should you travel back to Kuching, we hope we can welcome you back to Four Points by Sheraton and please feel free reach to me (Ivan.Chai@fourpointskuching.com) directly so we can assist you with your accommodation requirement and arrangement.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The room was ok but the things that they provide are quite double standard. I have stayed there for 3 days for a company course with my other colleagues. When i arrive, They told me that they can't find my name in the list even when I showed them my letter and I have to stand there for about 15 minutes when they finally found my name in their list. And when they finally gave me the key, I have problem with the key. And I have to go from the 10th floor to the lobby to get the things fix. And when I finally get in the room, and needed shower badly, They told us that they don't have enough shower cap when we asked for it (no shower cap for such a big hotel!). My friend and I wish that the management can show more care to their customers . Example, before a female customer comes in, they should have make sure that all the neccessary things needed has already been prepared before they check in. I am sure that the customer already have booked the room for at least 1 day before they check in . And in some rooms they get shampoos and some don't and in some rooms they have complete stuff from A-Z. I went to the swimming pool to have a swim too and the sides of the pool was mouldy :-( . Other than that, I like the facility provided in the gym. Quite clean and comfortable. The food are nice too. The hotel is located very near to the shops and airport which is quite convenient for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi Chong L,

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your constructive feedback during your visit.

We sincerely apologies for the service lapsed and inconvenience caused, particularly on the room service and hassle upon check-in. I will share your notes with the General Manager for this attention and relate departments for their improvement and action.

Appreciate your kind compliments on our great food prepare by our talented culinary teams, and glad to know that you are happy with our well-situated location which is close to the transport and shopping hub’s.

Should your next trip travel back to Kuching, we hope we can welcome you back to Four Points by Sheraton and please feel free reach to me (Ivan.chai@fourpointskuching.com) directly so I can assist with your accommodation arrangement.