“Nice stay”
Review of The LimeTree Hotel

Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel was great value for money. We paid for a basic room and that's what we got, yes the bathroom was small but everywhere was clean and our room comfortable. Breakfast choice was good and the staff attentive, friendly and helpful. The only inconvenience we had was the room did not have its own safe deposit box so had to ask reception each time we wanted access to our valuables. Location is good as within 5 minutes you are walking alongside the river and there are plenty of places to eat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I booked 2 rooms, 307 & 308 from 19-23June 2014. Checked in after 2pm, went late lunch, back to hotel ard 3 plus, my friend came to hotel and bring my in-laws sightseeing ( they staying in RM307 ) Around 6pm , we left our room ( RM 308 - room with safe box ) The next morning my mother in law told me that her small sling pouch lost ( inside got some cash around S$180, public transport card, medical card & house key ) So I informed the manager, Mr Soh, he told me that he will check the CCTV , later he updated me that no outsider seen to enter RM307 except US. My mother in law doesn't mind the cash, she just need to get back her medical card and house key. So we all went to RM307 and searched everywhere, my husband even lift up the beds , we can't find anything. On 23 June , we checked out at 7am and at the airport my mother in law told me , the last night, her small sling pouch CAME BACK to RM307 with everything attached EXCEPT the CASH. Is a strange experience, and I started to get worry , as I did keep cash inside the safety box in my room.
Overall the hotel room is clean, location OK, foods and shop nearby but to Riverfront around 10 mins walk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MahinaXXL
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear MahinaXXL,

Although we are glad your overall stay was a good one, we read your review with much concern. In fact, we are shocked to read about your account, where a seemingly general report of a missing item from your room after the first night of stay, followed by a prompt investigation to check the movements for the room where the item was claimed to have been kept, with the slight possibility of the item being misplaced and no further communication from your group regarding the matter for three days - ended with our team learning of your detailed account of the incident and the item finally being found, only upon reading your review.

We take your review very seriously as it contains details hinting allegations which we may deem libellous and easily misconstrued by other readers. Therefore, I am compelled to provide a sequence of events for this matter.

1. On the morning of 20 June, Mr Soh our hotel manager received a report regarding a missing small sling bag from room 307. By then, your family members had already searched the room for the item but to no avail. Our team was not asked to search the room for the item (and we would have, if given the permission to do so) and Mr Soh promptly checked the CCTV footage which had a clear view of the entrance to room 307.

2. The CCTV footage captured the time of check-in until the next morning and showed more than a dozen times of entering and leaving of room 307 by your group and two visitors of your mother-in-law's. During this time, our staff had entered the room only once to deliver the luggage with the presence of your family members in the room. This information was then conveyed directly to you and your husband, and as perplexed as Mr Soh was from the findings, he remained at your disposal for further assistance. The 18-hour CCTV footage was reviewed and witnessed by our security team; as it is not possible to have this extracted and saved on a media for your viewing due to its large content, we can explore other ways to have this shown to you if required.

3. You requested for Mr Soh to review the footage for the second time, which he gladly obliged and he reverted with the same results that showed no one other than the people mentioned above entered the room. Specifically, none of our staff entered the room without your family’s presence during this said time when the item was believed to have been taken from the room. There were suggestions during your conversations with Mr Soh that the item could have been misplaced or lost out of hotel compounds, and with no further conversations about this case thereafter, Mr Soh and his team were left to assume that could have happened, otherwise our standard procedure would have been to make a police report on the loss of this item.

4. As soon as your feedback appeared online, I contacted you via the internal messaging service of this site, but due to the urgency of this matter, I called you as well to gather more information to facilitate our investigation. It is important to highlight that it is only from our conversation that I learned you were informed that the item was believed to have been kept in a suitcase, and the item was finally found in another bag pack by your mother-in-law the night before her check-out, and you had wondered who placed the item back into the bag pack. In addition, your mother-in-law did not bring up anything extraordinary to our attention upon check-out, and we wish she did.

Under such circumstances without concise details and a thorough investigation together with our team, we are left with many possibilities of what could have happened, where it is equally possible to raise questions about the original location of this item and its contents, but that would mean doubting our guests, which we definitely do not wish to do.

We are indeed grateful that you still found your stay to be good overall despite this incident. It is unsettling for us for not being able to provide an explanation for this, as you put it, "strange" experience. I do however believe we have a team of dedicated and reliable team, and we will always strive to get to the bottom of things. I hope my comments have not across as a negative response to your review, as it is my sole intention to clarify the situation.

I hope that there will be another opportunity to welcome you with us in the future. In the meantime, we wish you and your family many safe travels.

Kind regards,

Julie Tay - Resident Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is an apparent disconnect between the Trip Advisor high ranking and the poor level of customer service we received.

We (my parents, my wife and I) arrived at the hotel around 21:45 or so and were informed by reception staff that the rooms set aside for us did not have a working air-conditioning system. They had arranged other rooms for us while the a/c was being repaired but said we would have to transfer back after the repair the very next day. As we were only planning to stay a couple of nights, we didn't see how this made a lot of sense, for the extra hassle of having to unpack and pack twice. Also, for my parents (one each on either side of 80 years of age), the uncertainty wasn't something they welcomed.

We could see on the computer screen that the new rooms assigned to us were not booked the following day, but reception staff insisted that we had to move. So we asked to speak to the manager. They called their manager on the phone, a Mr. SOH Yau Beng, who made no acknowledgement of error on the part of the hotel (for the malfunctioning air-conditioning), nor attempt to allay our fears about having to move.

Mr. Soh came across as quite arrogant and condescending; he said he was doing us a favour by giving us other rooms, and even providing a free upgrade to one of the rooms. We told him we were doing HIM a favour by not moving to another hotel... He absolutely would not give an inch to defuse the situation or allay our fears or concerns, and said he would review the situation in the morning. So for the rest of the night, we were left wondering if we could unpack properly or not, which is the situation we were hoping to avoid; whether he asked us to move to other rooms the next day would now be beside the point. (For those wondering, we got to stay in the rooms, but we didn't have a pleasant night after all the bad feelings generated by that exchange.)

It is interesting to note that every poor rating for this hotel is related to poor customer service at the hands of senior management. One might excuse such behaviour from junior staff due to inexperience, but this high handed approach by people who should know better, smacks of arrogance. Their Trip Advisor high ranking has obviously gone to their head...

We plan to visit Kuching again in the hear future. Needless to say, we won't be staying at the LimeTree.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank WombatWanderer
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear WombatWanderer,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Naturally, it was heartbreaking for my team and I to receive our first review with the lowest rating possible since operating 5 years ago, knowing that our dedicated team, both junior or senior members of staff have always strived to consistently deliver the best service to our guests at all times. Mr Soh, our hotel manager is often praised on the high standards of service he provides, as is evidenced by the many positive comments left for us by our guests and members of this review site. Nevertheless, we take your comments very seriously and so I have taken the time to personally conduct an investigation for this incident. Here are my findings, in hope to clarify this incident to your satisfaction:

1. Firstly, a trainee had attended to you and your family upon check-in that night, while our senior staff was assisting another guest. We sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory conversation which had taken place between you and the trainee initially. Your room was in fact upgraded for the first night. With the air-conditioning system issue, room bookings had to be adjusted throughout the day, affecting the tentative upgrade for your second night. It was unnecessary for the trainee to inform you of the unconfirmed room change for the second night, an arrangement which may not happen for certain. I can identify with the distress when told about the possible room change. We understand that changing of rooms would cause much inconvenience to our guests and will only offer this option as the last resort; we would assist in moving the luggage and may compensate further in other ways for the inconvenience caused and to alleviate any discomfort experienced. For this, please accept our apologies for the said communication which triggered this negative experience. You may also wish to know that the trainee is no longer with us.

2. When you demanded to speak to the hotel manager, Mr Soh attended to your call while he was in the midst of handling the technical crisis. According to him and our Front Desk staff, you had insisted to remain in the upgraded room under any circumstances for your two-night stay and wanted an absolute confirmation on this arrangement over the phone. Due to the uncertainty of the situation, Mr Soh explained that he was unable to confirm your request until he discussed further with our Front Office Manager the next morning, an action he thought was a good judgement call in order not to commit to any arrangements for the second night, which could cause disappointment if the air-conditioning issue was not resolved on time.

3. Mr Soh claimed he was not in any way arrogant over the phone as claimed and at most, was being objective and realistic about the situation. He also strongly denied stating any words that may imply that he was "doing you a favour by giving other rooms". He reiterated that he would revert to you first thing in the morning about the status of the room. By this time, you expressed your utmost frustration and made threats to write a bad review on this review site for us even though Mr Soh tried to assure you of his efforts to check and fulfil your request the next morning.

Subsequently, our team managed to ensure your family remained in the Family Suite, not because we gave in to the threats, but because our vendors managed to have the system fixed early in the morning. We could see that Mr Soh met up with you and your family during breakfast as prioritised guests to be updated, and he offered his name card to you for any further assistance as his personal approach to make things right after your frustration the night before. However, it is a shame that his actions did not come across as intended to you; if he seemed to have offended you, I assure you he did not mean to. We are sorry to learn that your stay left you with feelings of resentment. We are disappointed that you felt the need to post your dissatisfaction online and chose to use this review site as an avenue to vent your frustrations despite our team having accommodated your request within our capacity, when we would have welcomed any dialogue that might have made your stay a more positive one.

All in all, we truly regret your experience; we are far from perfect, yet we will remain committed to providing excellent customer service at all times. My team and I are always grateful for positive comments and we believe constructive feedback can help us improve in all areas. We will never take our accomplishments for granted, for instance our latest achievement as a Travellers' Choice Award Winner 2014, which validated my team's efforts for the past year and we will always remain humble in all that we do. Although we did not meet your expectations, we hope you enjoyed what Kuching had to offer. We take this opportunity to wish you and your family many safe travels.

Kind regards,

Julie Tay - Resident Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

When I came across limetree on trip advisor , I was having some doubts whether to book a room with them but I went on with it anyways .
During booking , miss seinah was the one that serviced me . The booking went smoothly with her help .
The rooms were all in good condition although it was a little small but it was still thr perfect size for me and my friend .
The staffs there were all helpful and were always smilling
Great customer service at the front desk as well
As for room keeping , I was amazed by how fast they could clean up my room .
I was just down for breakfast for about half and hour and they managed to put everything back in order . Good job to them .
As for the food ( breakfast ) , my friend and I enjoyed most of them . But in my opinion the breakfast time should be longer as usually people tend to sleep till about 9-10 before waking up , and by that time breakfast would be already over .
Overall everything went smoothly during my 3 night stay here .
Would come back again if I were to come to kuching

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nicholas C
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed in the Lime Tree for 3 nights a week ago with 2 friends. It's a small hotel located a short walk from the riverfront. Behind the hotel is Jalan Padungan which has numerous eateries selling local food and shops selling Chinese pastries many of them with decades of history. The other end of the road leads to the historical part of town and to the river.

The rooms we had were not large but they were cozy, clean with comfortable beds and pillows quite unlike many hotels I stayed in of the same budget range. The breakfast spread was not large by large hotel chain standards but the food was good. It included the Sarawak laksa, a famous local spicy noodle dish. Those of us from Singapore and West Malaysia will find it tastes different from the version back home.

The hotel staff were friendly and went out of the way to help. Mr Soh the GM was particularly helpful as he recommended tours for us and where to have seafood. The guidebooks suggest going to Top Spot and Open Air Market, but we were directed to See Good Restaurant, a seafood place patronized mainly by locals only. You must try ! Ask Mr Soh or his staff for the direction. It is a 10-15 walk from the hotel.

Kuching itself does not have any thriving night life. It's a small town full of history and nice food. People are extremely friendly, from the taxi driver to the shopping mall security staff and shopkeepers.

You won't go wrong with Lime Tree at that budget hotel rate !

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TanHC
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Boutique hotel,family run and located close to cbd waterfront. Basic rooms are small, sleeping only, breakfast good but other food options limited. Rooftop bar great outlet but make sure fridges are turned on if you want a cold beer.Staff excellent

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hayden H
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights. The staff made it wonderful. They were all so helpful, they gave us advice, helped organise tours for us and phoned people for us. They have there own minibus service which is at about taxi prices which made getting everywhere so hassle free. We had a basic room which was nice but slightly small. It was quiet and we slept well. The terrace bar was great although it would have been nice if it was open in the afternoons (opened about 5). Breakfast was ok, the fresh lime juice was delightful. We at lunch at the restaurant a few times and this was excellent and cheap too. Recommend the nasi goreng or the roti wraps. It is a 10min walk to the waterfront but that didn't bother us, it is right next to an area with many nice bars and cafes. Would choose to stay here again if I am lucky enough to visit the wonderful town of Kuching again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple