“hospitable”

Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Singapore, Singapore
“hospitable”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It's a very comfortable hotel to stay in. Very convenient too since . The hotel staffs are generally hospitable, especially Eliza. Trainee who attended to us on the first day seem a bit judgmental. 2 men sharing a room and a bed does not imply any form of homosexual activity going on. However, tour guide Billy is very friendly and knowledgeable when he brought us to the Sarawak Cultural Village. The staffs who cleaned up our room are very meticulous and I have full of praises for their honesty and service. These good factors make my stay in Kuching great!

Room Tip: Choosing deluxe room is sufficient. It's big, clean and comfy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear HansGideon_Lin,

We are delighted to learn that your stay with us was overall a positive one! We are really glad to know that many elements of our hotel met your expectations.

With regard to the trainee, we wish to clarify that it is our procedure to verify the room and bedding configuration assigned upon check-in, especially when no specific requests are made. We apologize if the trainee seemed to have offended you, although I assure you the trainee did not mean to, while attempting to perform the verification. Nevertheless, with your comments, we have further fine-tuned our check-in process.

We are grateful for your comments which undoubtedly validated our team's efforts to always provide excellent service and to always ensure our guests are our top priority. A big thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you and your friends again when you next travel to Kuching.

Many best wishes from all at The LimeTree Hotel!

Best regards,

The LimeTree Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I arrived late into Kuching airport and had arranged an airport pickup. The pick up ran smoothly and I was grateful that I did not have to worry about finding my way to the hotel so late in the evening.
The room I had was on the 1st floor, with a window. It was a little noisy with the traffic but not too bad. The rooms are small, but not too small. The bed was comfy and the shower hot. The room was made up every day and fresh towels provided. I would have liked a hand towel though, but I did have my own.
Breakfast is included in the cost and if you are a meat eater there is lots of choice. Being a vegetarian I still had choice, but not as much as my fellow meat eaters. I tried the restaurant once for dinner. No choice for a vegetarian there, but the chief did me a special fried rice instead.
There is a Buddest Cafe close by, accross the road and nr the river,for lunch if any fellow vegetarians are interested.
The river is a couple of mins walk away and then follow the river for about 10mins, to the end. The local bus station is about 15min walk away.
The Lime theme throughout the hotel is fun.
I found the reception staff friendly and Asain efficient. Sometimes it my come across as a little abrupt to Westeners, but it is a cultural thing not a personal thing.
I did one of the tours offered by the hotel. The rainforest and kayak trip. This was an excellent day and the team were fun and professional. A yummy lunch was provided and a photo CD of the day.
Now I must say, that for a city famed for its cats, I only saw THREE live ones during my stay. Where are they all?? I probably need another trip to Kuching to try and spot more and when I do, I will definately stay at the Lime Tree Hotel

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This independent hotel is run by a friendly team and is located close to the river and the Padungan shopping district, which has a pretty active scene both in the day and at night.

The rooms, especially the bathrooms, are not huge, but I did admire the hotel's green credentials, which aren't always evident in other parts of Kuching.

I didn't spend any time in the restaurant, and my partner and I were too late back during the evening to enjoy the rooftop bar, however we did spend some time in the gift shop, where you can buy any of lime-related products!

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and happy to avoid the big chain hotels that dominate most cities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel was great value for money. We paid for a basic room and that's what we got, yes the bathroom was small but everywhere was clean and our room comfortable. Breakfast choice was good and the staff attentive, friendly and helpful. The only inconvenience we had was the room did not have its own safe deposit box so had to ask reception each time we wanted access to our valuables. Location is good as within 5 minutes you are walking alongside the river and there are plenty of places to eat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I booked 2 rooms, 307 & 308 from 19-23June 2014. Checked in after 2pm, went late lunch, back to hotel ard 3 plus, my friend came to hotel and bring my in-laws sightseeing ( they staying in RM307 ) Around 6pm , we left our room ( RM 308 - room with safe box ) The next morning my mother in law told me that her small sling pouch lost ( inside got some cash around S$180, public transport card, medical card & house key ) So I informed the manager, Mr Soh, he told me that he will check the CCTV , later he updated me that no outsider seen to enter RM307 except US. My mother in law doesn't mind the cash, she just need to get back her medical card and house key. So we all went to RM307 and searched everywhere, my husband even lift up the beds , we can't find anything. On 23 June , we checked out at 7am and at the airport my mother in law told me , the last night, her small sling pouch CAME BACK to RM307 with everything attached EXCEPT the CASH. Is a strange experience, and I started to get worry , as I did keep cash inside the safety box in my room.
Overall the hotel room is clean, location OK, foods and shop nearby but to Riverfront around 10 mins walk.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MahinaXXL
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear MahinaXXL,

Although we are glad your overall stay was a good one, we read your review with much concern. In fact, we are shocked to read about your account, where a seemingly general report of a missing item from your room after the first night of stay, followed by a prompt investigation to check the movements for the room where the item was claimed to have been kept, with the slight possibility of the item being misplaced and no further communication from your group regarding the matter for three days - ended with our team learning of your detailed account of the incident and the item finally being found, only upon reading your review.

We take your review very seriously as it contains details hinting allegations which we may deem libellous and easily misconstrued by other readers. Therefore, I am compelled to provide a sequence of events for this matter.

1. On the morning of 20 June, Mr Soh our hotel manager received a report regarding a missing small sling bag from room 307. By then, your family members had already searched the room for the item but to no avail. Our team was not asked to search the room for the item (and we would have, if given the permission to do so) and Mr Soh promptly checked the CCTV footage which had a clear view of the entrance to room 307.

2. The CCTV footage captured the time of check-in until the next morning and showed more than a dozen times of entering and leaving of room 307 by your group and two visitors of your mother-in-law's. During this time, our staff had entered the room only once to deliver the luggage with the presence of your family members in the room. This information was then conveyed directly to you and your husband, and as perplexed as Mr Soh was from the findings, he remained at your disposal for further assistance. The 18-hour CCTV footage was reviewed and witnessed by our security team; as it is not possible to have this extracted and saved on a media for your viewing due to its large content, we can explore other ways to have this shown to you if required.

3. You requested for Mr Soh to review the footage for the second time, which he gladly obliged and he reverted with the same results that showed no one other than the people mentioned above entered the room. Specifically, none of our staff entered the room without your family’s presence during this said time when the item was believed to have been taken from the room. There were suggestions during your conversations with Mr Soh that the item could have been misplaced or lost out of hotel compounds, and with no further conversations about this case thereafter, Mr Soh and his team were left to assume that could have happened, otherwise our standard procedure would have been to make a police report on the loss of this item.

4. As soon as your feedback appeared online, I contacted you via the internal messaging service of this site, but due to the urgency of this matter, I called you as well to gather more information to facilitate our investigation. It is important to highlight that it is only from our conversation that I learned you were informed that the item was believed to have been kept in a suitcase, and the item was finally found in another bag pack by your mother-in-law the night before her check-out, and you had wondered who placed the item back into the bag pack. In addition, your mother-in-law did not bring up anything extraordinary to our attention upon check-out, and we wish she did.

Under such circumstances without concise details and a thorough investigation together with our team, we are left with many possibilities of what could have happened, where it is equally possible to raise questions about the original location of this item and its contents, but that would mean doubting our guests, which we definitely do not wish to do.

We are indeed grateful that you still found your stay to be good overall despite this incident. It is unsettling for us for not being able to provide an explanation for this, as you put it, "strange" experience. I do however believe we have a team of dedicated and reliable team, and we will always strive to get to the bottom of things. I hope my comments have not across as a negative response to your review, as it is my sole intention to clarify the situation.

I hope that there will be another opportunity to welcome you with us in the future. In the meantime, we wish you and your family many safe travels.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is an apparent disconnect between the Trip Advisor high ranking and the poor level of customer service we received.

We (my parents, my wife and I) arrived at the hotel around 21:45 or so and were informed by reception staff that the rooms set aside for us did not have a working air-conditioning system. They had arranged other rooms for us while the a/c was being repaired but said we would have to transfer back after the repair the very next day. As we were only planning to stay a couple of nights, we didn't see how this made a lot of sense, for the extra hassle of having to unpack and pack twice. Also, for my parents (one each on either side of 80 years of age), the uncertainty wasn't something they welcomed.

We could see on the computer screen that the new rooms assigned to us were not booked the following day, but reception staff insisted that we had to move. So we asked to speak to the manager. They called their manager on the phone, a Mr. SOH Yau Beng, who made no acknowledgement of error on the part of the hotel (for the malfunctioning air-conditioning), nor attempt to allay our fears about having to move.

Mr. Soh came across as quite arrogant and condescending; he said he was doing us a favour by giving us other rooms, and even providing a free upgrade to one of the rooms. We told him we were doing HIM a favour by not moving to another hotel... He absolutely would not give an inch to defuse the situation or allay our fears or concerns, and said he would review the situation in the morning. So for the rest of the night, we were left wondering if we could unpack properly or not, which is the situation we were hoping to avoid; whether he asked us to move to other rooms the next day would now be beside the point. (For those wondering, we got to stay in the rooms, but we didn't have a pleasant night after all the bad feelings generated by that exchange.)

It is interesting to note that every poor rating for this hotel is related to poor customer service at the hands of senior management. One might excuse such behaviour from junior staff due to inexperience, but this high handed approach by people who should know better, smacks of arrogance. Their Trip Advisor high ranking has obviously gone to their head...

We plan to visit Kuching again in the hear future. Needless to say, we won't be staying at the LimeTree.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank WombatWanderer
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear WombatWanderer,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Naturally, it was heartbreaking for my team and I to receive our first review with the lowest rating possible since operating 5 years ago, knowing that our dedicated team, both junior or senior members of staff have always strived to consistently deliver the best service to our guests at all times. Mr Soh, our hotel manager is often praised on the high standards of service he provides, as is evidenced by the many positive comments left for us by our guests and members of this review site. Nevertheless, we take your comments very seriously and so I have taken the time to personally conduct an investigation for this incident. Here are my findings, in hope to clarify this incident to your satisfaction:

1. Firstly, a trainee had attended to you and your family upon check-in that night, while our senior staff was assisting another guest. We sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory conversation which had taken place between you and the trainee initially. Your room was in fact upgraded for the first night. With the air-conditioning system issue, room bookings had to be adjusted throughout the day, affecting the tentative upgrade for your second night. It was unnecessary for the trainee to inform you of the unconfirmed room change for the second night, an arrangement which may not happen for certain. I can identify with the distress when told about the possible room change. We understand that changing of rooms would cause much inconvenience to our guests and will only offer this option as the last resort; we would assist in moving the luggage and may compensate further in other ways for the inconvenience caused and to alleviate any discomfort experienced. For this, please accept our apologies for the said communication which triggered this negative experience. You may also wish to know that the trainee is no longer with us.

2. When you demanded to speak to the hotel manager, Mr Soh attended to your call while he was in the midst of handling the technical crisis. According to him and our Front Desk staff, you had insisted to remain in the upgraded room under any circumstances for your two-night stay and wanted an absolute confirmation on this arrangement over the phone. Due to the uncertainty of the situation, Mr Soh explained that he was unable to confirm your request until he discussed further with our Front Office Manager the next morning, an action he thought was a good judgement call in order not to commit to any arrangements for the second night, which could cause disappointment if the air-conditioning issue was not resolved on time.

3. Mr Soh claimed he was not in any way arrogant over the phone as claimed and at most, was being objective and realistic about the situation. He also strongly denied stating any words that may imply that he was "doing you a favour by giving other rooms". He reiterated that he would revert to you first thing in the morning about the status of the room. By this time, you expressed your utmost frustration and made threats to write a bad review on this review site for us even though Mr Soh tried to assure you of his efforts to check and fulfil your request the next morning.

Subsequently, our team managed to ensure your family remained in the Family Suite, not because we gave in to the threats, but because our vendors managed to have the system fixed early in the morning. We could see that Mr Soh met up with you and your family during breakfast as prioritised guests to be updated, and he offered his name card to you for any further assistance as his personal approach to make things right after your frustration the night before. However, it is a shame that his actions did not come across as intended to you; if he seemed to have offended you, I assure you he did not mean to. We are sorry to learn that your stay left you with feelings of resentment. We are disappointed that you felt the need to post your dissatisfaction online and chose to use this review site as an avenue to vent your frustrations despite our team having accommodated your request within our capacity, when we would have welcomed any dialogue that might have made your stay a more positive one.

All in all, we truly regret your experience; we are far from perfect, yet we will remain committed to providing excellent customer service at all times. My team and I are always grateful for positive comments and we believe constructive feedback can help us improve in all areas. We will never take our accomplishments for granted, for instance our latest achievement as a Travellers' Choice Award Winner 2014, which validated my team's efforts for the past year and we will always remain humble in all that we do. Although we did not meet your expectations, we hope you enjoyed what Kuching had to offer. We take this opportunity to wish you and your family many safe travels.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

When I came across limetree on trip advisor , I was having some doubts whether to book a room with them but I went on with it anyways .
During booking , miss seinah was the one that serviced me . The booking went smoothly with her help .
The rooms were all in good condition although it was a little small but it was still thr perfect size for me and my friend .
The staffs there were all helpful and were always smilling
Great customer service at the front desk as well
As for room keeping , I was amazed by how fast they could clean up my room .
I was just down for breakfast for about half and hour and they managed to put everything back in order . Good job to them .
As for the food ( breakfast ) , my friend and I enjoyed most of them . But in my opinion the breakfast time should be longer as usually people tend to sleep till about 9-10 before waking up , and by that time breakfast would be already over .
Overall everything went smoothly during my 3 night stay here .
Would come back again if I were to come to kuching

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends