“A greate stay - Great value, spotlessly clean, fantastic staff”
Review of The LimeTree Hotel

The LimeTree Hotel
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I can only agree with the previous reviews - the Lime Tree offers really good value. The rooms are quite small but spotlessly clean, comfy and quiet. We had a standard room and an executive room - the main difference is the latter is slightly larger and has a bar fridge. I would suggest getting a room that has a window though because there are some located in the core of the building that don't have windows.

The staff were very helpful and friendly - they arranged taxis for us, gave us advice and directions and even arranged to get my friend's hiking shoe repaired! The staff offered the service and assistance that you'd expect from a top end hotel. Julie also arranged our transfers to and from the airport. The efficient and friendly drivers in the very new Lime Tree van were waiting for us when we arrived despite our plane being half an hour late.

The food in the cafe was lovely and fresh and the lobby and cafe were nice, cool areas to sit and relax. unfortunately, the rooftop bar is still not open.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The LimeTree Hotel

Reviewed 1 October 2009

My wife & I stayed at Lime Tree hotel for 3 nights early August 2009. We had a deluxe room at 160RMB ++. The hotel had very recently been remodelled; our room was very comfortable great king size bed ; though this did take up a large portion of the room ( room a little on the tight size though very adequate) bathroom also small ( as they are pretty much are everywhere in Asia; great shower however and no plumbing problems). Foyer area bright and breezy and breakfast included was good. Roof top bar not completed when we stayed I had a look however and it will be a very pleasant entertainment area. Just hope they dont have karoke nights. Hotel is only 10 minute walk to waterfront and Kuching centre; aroung hotel are some cheap eating & drinking spots. Staff were more thgan pleasant and helpful and free internet access available; we found this hotel good value, clean and quiet.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Buffalo530
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This fresh, new hotel is wonderful - it's clean and bright with the friendliest, nicest staff in Asia. I also loved the little lime motifs everywhere and it should be even better when the bar on the top floor opens soon.

Not only was our stay wonderful but when we wanted to move hotel (just to be by the beach and cultural village for one night), Mr Boniface kindly organised it all for us, getting us a special rate and sorting out a HUGE room at really decent rate.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone - it's awesome (especially at this price) :D

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChocolateCheesecake
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Was in Kuching for a short break to visit friends over the long weekend and decided to stay in a new hotel near Chinatown. I stayed at the Executive Suite, which had all the amenities of a luxurious hotel room, complete with bathrobes and slippers. It's a really good way to pamper yourself--the room was very quiet (perhaps because it wasn't peak season when I went) and I had really good sleep. The room came with complimentary breakfast, which I had a quick taste of before I was picked up by friends to go for my favourite food in Kuching--laksa! The breakfast was okay, and could do with better scrambled eggs (although most hotels I've stayed in in Malaysia don't seem to know how to make it) but nothing quite special about that. Still, it came with the room so I couldn't resist trying it.

I loved the fact that I was constantly connected to the internet (free wifi throughout the hotel) but that wasn't the only thing I liked about the hotel. From the jazzy piped music in the lobby to the tasteful decor (there are very subtle stencils of flowers and other designs on some walls), for some reason I felt an affinity with the theme of simplicity the hotel seemed to project. I think it's ideal for readers and writers, especially the latter who want to get away for a few days or weeks to work on their writing, away from the hustle and bustle of the city and every day life.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Wow.... Kuching is such a hot city. And I mean hot.... it was probably close to 40 degrees C (ok, maybe in high 30s... but it sure felt higher) when I was there with friends last month (July '09). Ok... more about the hotel.

Location is not far from the waterfront area where the Hilton hotel is and about a 4-5 minute walk to Sarawak Plaza. I would've given it a 5 for location if the sun wasn't so hot cos I had to walk the ~400meters to Sarawak Plaza a couple of times! But still, having Chinatown right behind the hotel is pretty sweet. Found a great coffee shop nearby that served some great Kolo Mee and the best part was drinking the ultra cheap beer! RM11 for 3 cans of Stella Artois, I kid you not! :)

I stayed for 3 nights in an Executive Deluxe room. The room was everything I would expect in a 4-5 star hotel except that it didn't have a bathtub. I think they only have bathtubs in the suites. Oh well. The shower was super though. 32" Flat screen TV, king bed, complimentary soft drinks in the fridge, kettle with coffee/tea, safe box, work desk and free wireless internet. The room itself was of decent size, as was the bathroom.

The lobby is surrounded by glass walls and pretty bright as a result. They play nice loungey music all day which is pretty cool (kinda reminds me of Naumi in Singapore). There is one restaurant next to the entrance (Cafe Sublime) where they serve breakfast and all other meals. Breakfast looked pretty good but I didn't really try it cos I preferred to go for the local food, which was usually the sarawak laksa at a nearby coffee shop called Chong Choon, if I'm not mistaken. Actually, they also served laksa for breakfast one of the days I was there and it turned out to be pretty yummy too. That was the only day I ate breakfast there.

I was told that there was going to be a rooftop lounge but it wasn't ready yet. What a shame as I would've loved to have a few drinks and stagger to bed just a few floors down. :)

While this place isn't a luxury boutique hotel, it sure is one of the best hotels I've stayed at in Kuching. There is that "homier" feeling that I don't get from those big branded hotels. Also, one of the best things about the hotel is that it is a non-smoking hotel! Non of that stale smoke smell anywhere. I'll definitely stay here again whenever I'm back in Kuching.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank TezzMezz
Reviewed 6 August 2009

This bright new super clean little boutique hotel is great value for money and in close walking distance of the river esplanade and china town.

The Manager Kho and his staff were extremely obliging, friendly and helpful.

Chef Abang Abdul Rahman's signature dish 'Ikan Assam' costing $A5 is a gourmet treat.

We stayed 5 nights and would highly recommend The Lime Tree.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VJRey
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Just return from Kuching for a 4 days working trip and stayed in this hotel for that duration. The hotel is owned by a retired civil servant. Since it is quite new so the room is clean and bright. The owner has a Lime plantation somewhere in Kuching so the theme color in the hotel obviously is green. The breakfast is so so but there again, the Kuching Laksa and Kolo mee are just round the corner. The China Town and Riverside is within short walking distance.

The owner can even give you a free ride to the airport if he happened to wants to visit his lime plantation. The couple and the daughter is always there to help you. Good place to stay if you are looking for clean, bright room with reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business