“Amazing!!”

Ranked #1 of 92 things to do in Kuching
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly - You are coming to see orangutans in their natural environment. They are not forced to sign to say they will turn up everyday to see visitors! Even the workers don't know where they are. And that's how it should be.

Secondly - when a sign says please be quiet why do people not follow that instruction. Even the 2 month old child stayed silent for a whole hour. Only seems to be a certain nationality that struggles on this one. (They won't come when their is noise. Fact.)

Finally....after turning up at 8am we waited around for the morning feeding session. Unfortunately we seen no orangutans. No problem. It wasn't meant to be. Again, you can't force feed a wild animal.

However we returned in the afternoon and stood in the rain and thunder to watch around 12 come down to eat. It was a beautiful experience. Take it in. This is nature.

A great set up and credit to the staff for their work they do (keeping them wild).

One I won't forget!

1  Thank Nath L M

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to semenggoh for the morning feeding session and saw about 6 orang-utans including a mother and her baby which was brilliant. I wouldn't bother taking a tour as it is a massive waste of money as you effectively pay for an expensive shuttle service when you can get the bus which drops you at the entrance for MR 3.50 each way.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

As promised, there were several groups of orangutans including a cute mother and baby hanging around at the specified feeding times. The viewing points are well located. Take binoculars for a close up view. And a folding seat if you'd like to stay watching for any length of time?

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I guess I had false or inflated expectations coming here.

1) I figured there would be plenty of Orangutans given that Borneo is the largest population of them in the world.

2) I expected more of a Nature Reserve based on the title.

The Reserve is located right off of a highway just a short distance from the airport. It's a very commercialized area and not much forest as in other areas outside of Kuching. The forest seems to be more of a plot of land between commercial developments. After you part, it's only a 1-2 minute walk through actual forest before you get to the end where the Orang Utans are. It is a nice walk...but a very short one at that.

I understand that we're going to see Orang Utans in a realtively natural habitat, so there would be a chance you do not see them. But given the small area of the forest, my expectations for seeing them were increased. Not a single one, everyone sat in the viewing area for a while...disappointed. I think the worst part was after you purchase the tickets, a guard at the entrance was telling us that there were 12 Orang Utans feeding in the morning and we wouldn't see any (I went to the afternoon feeding). Wish they would have mentioned something prior.

Luckily, the price isn't too bad and doesn't break the bank. But perhaps look at one of the other areas. I wouldn't go back to this location.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

You may think it is simply another tourist attraction. However, this is probably the best if not only way you can get to see orangutans jumping freely from branch to branch.

This is a MUST. perfect for families with children.