“Thanks Lionel!”

Nanga Damai Homestay
Ranked #3 of 83 Kuching B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 January 2014

What a joy for four of us to stay here for 3 days over Christmas. The rooms have great views over the jungle, you can wake up to the birds, laze on the couch in the upstairs living room, watch the monkeys, enjoy a beverage looking over the pool, and wander down to Damai Central for lunch, walks, seaside.
Lionel was our host in the absence of Polycarb and he couldn't have done more for us. He drove us and picked us up when it rained (which was all the time), and was most helpful and enthusiastic about the area and Borneo in general. Thanks Lionel, you really made our few days most memorable. We would be delighted to show you the same courtesy should you ever venture to Perth Aus!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in the Nanga Damai Homestay for 4 nights. It was a absolutely perfect place for relaxing with all the luxury things that you need. We had an amazing look from our room "James Brook" direct to the dschungel and we can watch the monkeys who live there in the jungle.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were fortunate to spend 4 nights at Nanga Damai, we originally booked for 3 but enjoyed it so much we extended.

We stayed in the Margaret Renee room and found this to meet our needs clean, spacious enough and a hot shower. The room also has it's own verandah which we rarely used.

The pool is lovely as is the deck where everyone tends to meet after their days activities. The honesty system with drinks is great as can help yourself when you need/want a drink.

Pollycarp is a wonderful host, he was in Kuching the day we were coming so he picked us up and was happy to take us to a restaurant for dinner that evening.

It's an easy walk to the cultural centre and the food court, from memory it was about 20 minutes.

If you are looking for a relaxing place to stay, with comfy beds, a great breakfast, a nice pool and a wonderful host then this is the place.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chocolou
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here with my girl and it's awesome!feel very at home.Owner was a great host.showed me around the area. Could see myself staying here forever. James Brooke room is the bomb.shower had the view of the mountain and saw some macaques swinging around! One word to sum up the whole stay, wonderful.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ivanc88
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here last week and it is our favourite accommodation in Malaysia thus far.

The views of the jungle and the South China Sea are outstanding. The rooms are fairly basic, but are certainly clean and equipped with all you really need.

The owner is a wonderful host. Despite just having arrived home from overseas, and facing a personal tragedy at home, he showed us the warmest hospitality. He even drove us to and from a restaurant we wanted to eat at more than 10km away, and gave us beer and stayed up for a few drinks on our last night.

The two women on staff are bright, vibrant and so full of smiles that it becomes infectious.

Add a swimming pool and reasonable prices to the mix and you can't go wrong. Highly recommended. Will have fond memories of our short stay at Nanga Damai for a long time to come.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Jesse D
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Nanga Damai Homestay
My wife and I stayed in James Brooke room from 19-22 November 2013.
We found it excellent value with well appointed rooms, large open living and lounge areas, good breakfasts provided and very hospitable owner / manager.
The rooms look out into rain forest on 3 sides and ocean views on the other. The swimming pool is good sized and well maintained. The host suggested good dining options and when available provided drop off and pickup. Overall a very relaxed atmosphere with opportunities to meet other guests.
We stayed an additional night rather than spend our last night in Kuching. There is a good shuttle service to and from Kuching which made getting to and from the airport easy. Staying here was an excellent end to our Thailand / Borneo trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I booked 3 nights in Nanga Damai homestay and enjoyed every minute of my stay. My favourite pastime was lazing in the pool watching monkeys in the surrounding jungle. The homestay decor is tasteful and the garden beautifully landscaped. Polycarp was a wonderful host and was extremely helpful and welcoming. He kindly booked river trips on my behalf, offered lifts where possible and happily chatted to myself and other guests. I was travelling on my own but Polycarp and Malinda made me feel comfortable and at home. The homestay is a 20 minute walk to Damai Beach and the Sarawak Cultural Village. A car would have been useful but not entirely necessary. I stayed in the Ranee Margaret Room which has a private terrace overlooking the garden, with views of the jungle and in the distance a glimpse of the sea. I am so glad I decided to stay at the Nanga Damai Homestay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo