“Central location, service with a smile”

Grand Margherita Hotel
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I was told that this hotel was the former Holiday Inn. So with that in mind, I urge all readers to expect an old hotel which has been given a facelift -- refurbished, given a fresh coat of paint etc etc.

The location is hard to beat. It's by the waterfront and very close to many of Kuching's attractions. It's also just a three-minute sampan ride away from a nice food court and shops selling Sarawak's famous batik cakes.

My colleague and I got a room with the view of the river which is quite nice. The room was clean and comfortable but some of the power sockets gave away the hotel's true age. I'm talking about round, 1960s-type of power sockets. Speaking of, there were not enough power sockets for the two of us to charge our phones and power up our laptops at the same time. Best to bring your own extension chord while you're staying there.

The first or second night we were there, the lifts broke down. We had to take the stairs to get to the ground floor from the 7th floor. It was pretty embarrassing for the hotel as there was a wedding that night and the lifts weren't working! I'm sure they managed to fix it in a jiffy but the fact of the matter is, the three lifts didn't work for a while.

I like how the dining area has been done up. The buffet breakfast spread is good but gets repetitive for guests staying more than two nights. I also like the lobby as it looks modern and very inviting.

I must mention that the staff are friendly and helpful.

Despite the service with a smile, the hotel generally didn't excite nor impress me.

I had a good rest during my three nights' stay there thought but that was basically it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
AfreedaNawawi, Marketing & Communications Officer at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear suziemclean,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience while staying with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to the tourist's attraction and the famous Kuching Waterfront. We are also delighted that you enjoyed our selection of food

On the other matters raised, it is unfortunate that the experience were not what you had expected.Still, we have taken your comments into consideration as we work towards the continuous enhancements of our hotel's products and services.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2011

This hotel has the basics and is renovating - not too soon. The place is filthy and carpets / curtains are riddle with cigarette smoke.
This hotel has the basics like swimming pool. We couldn't find the sauna, gym or spa whilst we were there but this could be because it was under renovations.
We stayed club and the staff could never get the cocktail hour right. One night we had one drink free, the next two, the next none and so on. We gave up! Everyone, including the duty manager, argued about what was meant by club. Waste of time and money going club! Even though this is written on the website - take no notice.
This hotel used to be the Holiday Inn and obviously has seen better days.
For a family cheap hotel in the right location it is brilliant just don't expect too much.
The breakfast was brilliant like any 5 star hotel which is a pity because the rest of the meals were very average for the price.

Room Tip: Don't go Club it is a waste of money.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
marcom_office, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear Bobby1505,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. Your observation about us being newly renovated is accurate as we did a full refurbishment of our hotel lobby, coffee house, lobby lounge, executive club lounge as well as all guestrooms on the Serapi Wing. However, there was no renovation being done to the spa and it was open during your stay with us. To make the entrance to the spa more prominent, posters are being displayed outside its wall. As for our cardio exercise room, it is located on the 4th floor and is open everyday from 5.30am till 11pm.

As for the evening cocktail, it is on daily from 5pm - 7pm and is also stated on the Executive Club Lounge. It is truly unfortunate that your experience on that matter was not what you had expected and we had taken into considerations all the comments listed to further improve the products and services of our hotel.

Thanks again for taking time to share with us your experience and glad to know that you truly enjoyed our buffet breakfast. Looking forward to have you stay with us again soon.

Take care & cheers,

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Pleasant and comfortable enough room, although carpet could do with a replacement soon. The bathroom area is a little bit outdated but clean and functional. Location of the hotel is really convenient - close to the waterfront, within a few minutes walking distance. The highlight for us was the breakfast - good spread and good quality. Looks like the food is an attraction for this hotel - there was a good lunch crowd at the cafe as well. There's free broadband usage in the room, but no free wi-fi, which was fine for our purposes.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jading
AfreedaNawawi, Marketing & Communications Officer at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear Jading,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the experience that you had while staying at Grand Margherita Hotel. We have shared your review with the respective departments, and on behalf of the F&B and Kitchen team, we would like to say that we are delighted that you enjoyed the delicacies provided.

We look forward to hosting your next stay when you come back to Sarawak!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed at the hotel from 31/05/2011 to 03/06/2011.

Location: - Very convenience as it is right smack in the center of the town. Easy walking distance to some of the town attractions, eg. The Sarawak River Night Cruise, Sarawak Museum, China Town etc.

Hotel: - Upon entering the hotel, nice smelling lobby greeted us. Front office personnel were friendly and check-in was quick.

Room: - Were given a standard room with twin beds, facing the famous Sarawak River. Nice view across the river. Room was clean, enough towels for a family of three. One of the minus point is the room air-con is too cold. The thermostat cannot be adjusted at all.

Breakfast: - Not many selection on the buffet line, but adequate. If you wish to skip the hotel breakfast, there are many local food stalls near the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Dear Renaoh,

Thanks for your feedback on your experience while staying with us. Your comments are very important for us to further enhance our services and facilities.

We sincerely hope that we would remain the hotel of your choice in your next visit to Kuching.
Until then, take care and see you soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2011

The hotel is of middle age, but still very good. The service from the staff is excellent, in particular William of the Rajang Lobby Lounge, he seemed to be able to materialise with a cold beer for you from almost out of nowhere!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank snerd45
AfreedaNawawi, Marketing & Communications Officer at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Dear KLRocks,

We are happy to hear that you've had a pleasant stay with us. We've shared your review with William and he is pleased to have played a role in your trip. We certainly hope that your next stay with us would be equally delightful.

Until your next stay with us, take care and see you soon!

Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in April 2011. The hotel is very nice, great pool and lobby.
Check in was very slow and seemed to be the same for others checking in as well. Others checking in at 2.30 (check in was 2pm) didn't have their rooms ready either and alot seemed to be waiting for rooms to be ready.
We had requested a smoking room, but when we got to our room we realised we had been given a non smoking room. So I returned to the check in counter, and waited in the queue again. Was told to wait in the room and they would let us know when a smoking room was ready. Waited for over an hour, we were very tired and just wanted to unwind and relax in our own room. Finally went back again and told that a smoking room still not ready. I was beginning to get very tired and irritable by then, and finally we were given a correct room. Noticed that others still waiting for their rooms to be ready also.
We didn't eat at the hotel, but did have a few drinks in the bar one evening - it was very nice, and we thought quite reasonable priced. They had some live music which we did enjoy.
The hotel is in a great location - shopping mall over the road and adjacent to the water front.
The room was also very nice, and the pillow menu was a bonus. Their internet site said there would be a mini bar, but there was no min bar. There was a coffee maker and 2 satchets of coffee, sugar, tea and creamer. We phoned and requested more coffee and creamer later the first day. 2 hours later none had arrived, so we went to the mall and bought our own coffee and milk.
Free internet in the room was great, and the speed also good.
The only other real problem was the noise levels. While in our room we could hear everyone walking past our room, and noise from the room across the hall. Also all the noise from the busy street outside. We also heard the live music from the bar until the early hours of the morning. This made going to sleep difficult, and we were awakened early by the noise too.
I would stay at this hotel again though I think, and maybe try the refurbished rooms.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank loopy_lou_6530
marcom_office, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Dear loppy_lou6530,

Thanks for taking time to share your experience while staying with us.

We are glad that you find our high speed internet access a great addition to your trip and enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to the shopping mall and the famous Kuching Waterfront. I would like to add that for your next trip to Kuching, the waterfront would be extended till the far end of the hotel and there would even be an al-fresco-themed bistro where you can enjoy your drinks and meals apart from our cozy lobby lounge which you had patronized during this trip.

On the other matters raised, it is unfortunate that the experience were not what you had expected. Still, we have taken your comments into consideration as we work towards the continuous enhancements of our hotel's products and services.

Looking forward to having you stay with us again and we would be glad to offer you our refurbished room with perhaps the astounding river view?

Take care and see you soon.

Best Regards,
Marketing & Communications Manager

Reviewed 16 March 2011

Stayed at the hotel in from 14-17 March 2011. Booked their 3days 2 nights City tour package for 2. Extended 1 more day My invoivce stated 2 quen sized beds as travelled with 4 children. Package incl welcome drinks.

1) Arrived at 2pm-room not ready. Attended by Ms Natalia (or Natalie) from front office. She was polite and friendly. Was told room not ready. No welcome drinks. Fine, left luggage in hotel and had lunch at nearby plaza. Came back at 4 pm, told to wait a bit as Ms natalia checked the room. Not long after, was politely told room was ready.

2) Our room- entered room only to see 1 King size bed, ours was supposed to come with 2 queen sized beds. fine. still didn't make a fuss. Called front office and asked whether the room was the right one as we expected a room with 2 queen sized beds.A staff said he will check for us and will call us back. Ms Natalia called us after 10 mins and said that our actual room still not ready, that what why we were given the room. Was wondering why I was not informed about this when told that my room was ready when we were in the lobby earlier. She offered an extra bed -foc- for the night and will transfer us to our actual room the next day. Again we said ok as we were too tired and had 4 young children.
3) Transfer of room - Second day: after city tour, approched Ms Natalia again and was told room was ready. So off we went to the new room- a newer 2 queen sized beds facing the river.
4) WHY I AM NOT COMING BACK: All along we did not make a fuss despite what we have experienced during the first two days. What happened on the fourth day totally was unacceptable. After b'fast. Approached front officde. Served by Ms Reno Salim. Told her that my package allowed for complimentary late check out upon navailability. Was outrightly told that I need to check out at 12pm as room was available. I told her my flight is later in the afternoon and that its too early to go to the airport. She was rude in explaining that many guests are requesting for a late check out. I was surprissed at her response. I HAD TO PLEAD to HER TO ast least let me stay till 1pm for the sake of my kids. I reminded her that all this while i didnt make a fuss despite what happended to me, like the late check in. So reluctantly she allowed me to stay for an additional hour,1pm.

At this point i told my children who were around me to sit at the lobby and could not hear what she was asking. So in a stern voice she said "Excuse me, what's ur room number!". I was shocked.

I felt like our roles have changed -she is now like the guest (customer).

She asked for my room card to extend the check out time. I took my card and walked away- deliberately forgotting my manners to thank her- shocked and disappointed with the service i received at this hotel.

Well, I am writing this review in my room while waiting impatiently for 1 pm so that I can check out quickly and head for the airport.!

Coming back again , NEVER!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Vanzy002
marcom_office, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2011

Dear Vanzy002,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the experience that you had while staying at Grand Margherita. While it is unfortunate that we might not have been able to attained perfection in our service. Your comments will allow us to work on these areas so we would be able to serve you better in your next trip to Kuching.

We sincerely hope that we would remain the hotel of your choice in your next visit and have the opportunity to perfect not just our service but our products as well.