“Superb Breakfast Spread”

Grand Margherita Hotel
Ranked #9 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Clean hotel, comfortable room, and best of all, the breakfast spread was beyond one's imagination. Food was plentiful and catered to both the vegetarians and non-vegetarians.
Very classy presentation. Hotel also very strategically located in the heart of Kuching town.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Susila Devi G

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you back again. Rest assured, we have shared your feedback with our team for continuous service improvement.

To ensure you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee. If we can be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to let us know when planning your next visit to Kuching.

There are newer reviews for Grand Margherita Hotel

Reviewed 19 December 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights although we originally had planned to stay for 5. Due to a change in plans I had to shorten my reservation and I am glad that we did. The hotel certainly is trying and has plenty of staff and provides reasonably good service. However, the rooms need a lot of work. For the price we paid, 200RM for room and breakfast excluding tax, it is passable. However, I would suggest that it is worth spending a bit more to get one of the newer hotels in Kuching.

The lobby and main restaurant have been renovated in a fresh and contemporary style and give a good impression on arrival. Unfortunately the rooms are not so good.

They have updated the soft furnishings, like bed and linen, but left carpet, bathrooms, wardrobes, chairs etc untouched. I could live with old furnishings if they are clean but the room wasn't really cleaned properly. For some reason the a/c in the room didn't work very well and the corridor felt cooler than our room. On the plus side they have free wifi in all rooms.

Breakfast was ok. It was a busy period so lots of diners in the restaurant making it difficult to find a table. Service from the staff was okay on the first day but poor on the second day. The range of food was okay and included an egg station. If you know where to go for breakfast outside the hotel you could certainly do better. One thing I found amazing was that they had a new room and new colour scheme but kept the 1980s style faded floral plates.

For a couple of nights this hotel was passable. They have some good points (new public areas, free wifi) but have quite a few things to work on. I wouldn't stay here again and would try somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CharlesDP
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2012

Dear CharlesDP,

Season's Greetings and thank you for taking your time to let us know how we can always improve.

Rest assured, your invaluable feedback has been shared with the relevant departments for service improvement, and we apologise for a less-than-perfect experience.

We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Kuching, and we'll make it up to you. To ensure that you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

Visited this hotel on my first business trip to Kuching. Experience with their staff was good and provide early breakfast room service. But the room need major renovation! Cleanliness of the room was ok but the furniture, toilet, bed linen all need to be changed. The bathtub shower switch was broken too.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Dear DL2098,

We hope you will stay with us again on your next business trip to Kuching, and we'll make it up to you. To ensure that you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Due to work's requirement, I need to visit Kuching at least once a year since 2008. Usually one will get bored when repeating the same routines, but this seems to proved an exceptional case.
Staying here somehow provides an enjoyable experience for a solo traveller on a mission.
What I cherrished most was the convinient of the access to a hypermarket, connected to the main lobby. It's so easy to fill up the mini fridge with liquor, beer and all sorts of tit bits that would fuel your tastebuds as you preparing for the work presentation. If that's still aint convince ya, try the various famous brands of fastfood outlets. Bet you gonna drown in 'em flavors!
..And oh, should you forget those brief or socks,its all available here, with genuine homy price tags.
The pools and bar is always the essence of enjoyment on any one of my outstation trip.
Wish you can try them on your own.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank BeachBoys_2011
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear BeachBoys_2011

Season's Greetings and thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us, and we look forward to having you back again. We have shared your feedback with our team for service improvement.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed here recently from 25- 29 november. Comparing to the Hilton which i stayed previously. This place is actually more convinient than the hilton as it is near a mcdonald(think it is 24hours) and 2 shopping malls as well as the top spot - a local price where tehre are various seafood stalls for eating purpose.

The room is smaller than the Hilton but the staff service is excellent if not better than Hilton9 surprisingly this is only a 4 star compare to Hilton's 5 stars). Like to give my thanks to the lady concierge/fron desk lady who help me change my room- i cna't recall her name but she is a most excellent staff.

The breakfast spread was sufficient/good with a lot of varieties and attentive staff - kudos to the staff at the Orchid Garden coffee house for their impeccable service.

Only thing i don't like is that the room door was faulty and it affected my holiday joy a bit as well that there are minmal facilities for children eg. changing tables etc.

I would definately book this place again if i am back in Kuching (which i likely would be).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear tnchSingapore

Season's Greetings and thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are pleased that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you back again. Rest assured, we have shared your feedback with our team for service improvement.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

I just visited this hotel on my last business trip & i strongly recommended not to sty at this hotel if you are not expecting bad service from the staff...I don't understand how this hotel can be nominate wt d award from trip advisor, breakfast restaurant waiter are bad service , after cleaning up the table when they is new guest came in the just stand there act don't see n talking and never come over and ask us coffee or tea, no cutleries on the table when took our food back n seated there more than 10mins.. I stood up and walk over n ask from the waiter they look at me and hold the coffee & tea pot walk away... I walked back n seated down took them 15mins to come back wt the cutleries n coffee tea.. This is really unacceptable... 2nd day the house keeping changed d bed liner... But when I rtn to the room there is ash on the bed sheet which I find it very annoyed.. When I open the blanket it is with quite numbers of dry blood stain on it...OMG.. This is so not hygiene !!!

I called house keeping to change it.. But took them 20mins.. And the attitude is super bad.. Like I purposely make them change again!! Frankly speaking I would not want to sleep on a bed sheet wt ash and blood stain!! And I requested for pack breakfast for my check out due to early flight , everytime also never provide plastic cutleries, if you do not hv it or what ever reason, pls do not give your customer breakfast box that need to use those cutleries and eat like fried eggs, sausage, bacons or salad wt dressing..! I can say when I open up the breakfast box like this and no cutleries provided I'll straight away throw it into the dustbin, as you think your customer is what beggar? Need to use finger to pick up those oil food n eat!!

My room is facing to the pool, my god so freaking noisy when there are people using the pool and at nite there is a bar called macam macam bar is so noisy the music play is too loud at 1030pm onwards.. Can't sleep at all...

I'm considering to stay at Pullman next time, as I sent an email to you reservation staff -Julia to complained n cc to your sales manager Pauline, non of hem reply. And you put me got no choice by putting this at here..!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Gary G
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear Gary G

Thank you for taking your time to let us know how we can always improve.

Rest assured, your invaluable feedback has been shared with the relevant departments for service improvement, and we apologise for a less than perfect experience.

We hope to have you stay with us again, and we'll make it up to you as Pauline has made this her priority, will be in touch with you shortly.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

There’s an English phrase “You can’t polish a turd” but in the case of the Grand Margherita you can sprinkle glitter on it – however, it remains a turd.
My wife and I stayed at this hotel when it was still the Holiday Inn a decade ago. Back then it was really crumbling and in need of a major overhaul. Fast forward to 2012 and on the surface of it the hotel has been renovated, but stay here a bit longer and you realise that the Grand Margherita has some serious defects which make it unsuitable for a decent, relaxing stay - especially if you have travelled half way around the world for an extended vacation. A lick of paint and some flat screen televisions in the bedrooms don’t change the fact that this is an average three star masquerading as something much grander.
During our stay we were in an “executive” room the first couple of nights before being moved down to a standard room a floor below. Here’s the headline: the rooms are no different. “Executive” room simply gets you a bathrobe and slippers – big deal! You also have access to a smaller fifth floor breakfast room and a limited selection of beverages between 5pm and 7pm – watery beer and a glass of red or white wine (subject to availability!)
All the rooms have massive noise problems as far as I can tell. The windows are just single-glazed and you can hear conversations at the pool below, or screaming kids at 8am, or the amateur karaoke maul-a-popular-song contest that was held poolside, very considerately, until 11pm one night.
Plumbing is pretty bad: we were constantly mopping up the bathroom floor after using the handbasin and there is a general musty odour around certain areas.
Housekeeping: two occasions they needed chasing to make up the room. On the day of our daughter’s birthday, we left the room at 10am and it was still unmade at 2pm. Strangely, even though the Do Not Disturb light was left OFF and the Make Up Room light switched ON, when we returned someone had switched on our DND light and flicked off the Make Up Room light. Other simple requests for housekeeping took a frustratingly long time to follow up, and were then followed up with an irritating customer service phone call. Yeah, cheers for that.
All in all, this was a lowlight of our SE Asia holiday and we stayed there as it was booked for us by a relative in Kuching and we were lulled into thinking it had all changed since the bad old days of the Holiday Inn.
My advice: stay elsewhere – Hilton and Pullman being the first two choices that spring to mind.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are likely to be better and more conducive to a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Phil S
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Phil S

Thank you for taking your time to let us know how we can always improve.

We hope to have you stay with us again, and we'll make it up to you. To ensure that you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee. If we can be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to let us know when planning your next visit to Kuching.