“Enjoyable stay.”

ThreeHouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 83 Kuching B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We came in a bit early to check in, but got the full tour right away. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Bindi cares about her business and your stay and it shows.
The beds are comfortable and I had a really good sleep. It can be noisy at times, but tends to quiet down at around 11.
Staff is willing to help with anything you might need including transportation and ideas of what to do.
The wifi wasn't great, but everything else was outstanding.

Room Tip: Book early of you want a guaranteed room. It gets busy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2014

After reading the shining reviews, my friends and I were looking forward to our stay at Three House. Unfortunately the reviews here do not accurately reflect the real experience. Firstly, I'd like to make it clear that this is a back-packer hostal. There are private rooms most without a window and some with a small window but all pretty dark. The air con in the rooms is great, it's the cleanliness and traffic of back-packers that should be of concern.

My two friends had a cockroach in their bed on the first night and my best friend suffered many bites. We raised this with staff who said they never see cockroaches and gave my friend bug spray. On the second night my friend was still being bitten but assumed it was mosquitoes. During the third night's stay, at 2am, her bites were getting so bad she got up to inspect the bed and her clothes. She discovered bedbugs in the seams if her clothes and left the room immediately.

She didn't see any staff due to the time, so stayed in the kitchen area until 6am. She also met another girl in the night who had been moved to another room as there were bedbugs in her first room.

The next day, my friend found a member of staff and her reaction was apologetic and that the guesthouse would wash all clothes and clean the room. I came home later to find Bindi, the owner in my friends room with the bed taken apart and mattress outside. But nobody told me what had happened in the night. My friend and I came home in the evening and her bed had been put back together, all clothes cleaned but with the same spare mattress under her bed and assuming the same mattress on the bed. As we had just one night left in Kuching, I made my friend sleep in my room.

We did bump into the owner Bindi again in the middle of the night. She was suitably apologetic and highly concerned about the future of her guesthouse (and this review I assume). She spoke about how important the business was to her, how she had been away on holiday and this is why the staff had not been as on the ball about this experience. She explained that bed bugs are extremely common throughout all places in Kuching and named a few particularly bad hotels and hostals. Essentially she was looking to protect her business.

Unfortunately, there was no real concern or action that reflected an intention to protect the customer. My friend was not offered a refund or any compensation.

My personal experience was fine. My first room was very dark, extremely thin mattress with no windows. When I discovered I was paying more a night than my friends, I spoke to Bindi. She moved me straight away and the room was probably the best in the hostal! I was very happy. The bathrooms are quite clean, classic Asian shower and toilet room which is as expected. The entrance hall has back-packers' bags and mainly clothes piled up, close to bed linen and towels. Therefore I'd question the cleanliness and source of the bed bug problem.

I'm saddened to write this review but felt the need to present these facts as it was such a disappointing experience and horrible time for my best friend. She is unlikely to add to TripAdvisor as as doesn't want to cause a fuss. I want people to have clear facts and would like to have a response from Bindi that addresses the concerns of future customers, not her business.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 6! It was the largest and brightest.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
BindiThreehouse, Owner at ThreeHouse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

I am sorry to hear that your experience of staying was not satisfying and I do personally remember you very well as I was the one trying to help you out, searched for bugs myself and also later on had a control unit to come in without finding anything. As a owner and manager I care of this establishment as this is my livelihood, it is a place i built up with my own hands and want to be proud of and therefore also my guests are of major importance to me. If it wasn't of importance to me, i wouldn't have done all the things i did in order to try and solve whatever was the problem. And as a fact, your friend never had to pay the balance of her outstanding bill, the washing and drying of her clothes were all on us, free of charge. I was personally checking through her room, taking apart the bed and searching in any possible spaces for bugs or anything that could have caused the itchiness. I tried helping your friend out as much as i could but i remember her not being very helpful and rejecting most of the help i tried to offer or say, which puts me in quite of a helpless situation. I also recall her boyfriend sleeping with her, he didn't experience any bites, she slept with you and you did also not get any bites. I also recall you all going to Satang Island (correct me if i'm wrong here) with one of my yearly returning guests and he said that it must have been the sand flies on the island that caused it. Something that he is used to due to his experience of going and staying there every year. Wither this is the case or not i can not answer on. As you also mentioned that bugs were found in her clothes makes me also think that maybe she brought it with her from another place. If bedbugs, they tend to travel in peoples luggage. We keep our bedlinen in a shelf meant for bedlinen, the bags that people leave for storage due to trips are locked inside our storage and the bags on the way to be checked out or in, in the hallway on our groundfloor which isn't even close to our bedlinen cabinets, it's on the other end of the building. I am happy to hear your kind thoughts of me as a person and yes i get deeply and personally concerned if someone isn't happy or if there seems to be a problem. Sometimes i also have to remind people that they are staying at a guesthouse in asia and are paying a fraction of what it would cost to stay in a similar place in other parts of the world. If people want to stay at hilton or big hotel groups they will also have to pay the price, but i know from own experience you will not get the same kind of personal service and make friends with other travelers in the same way as here or other hostels and guesthouses.

Bindi
Owner & Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Love the location in the old part of Kuching. I haven't been back in 48 years. Air condition works great and good wifi. Views of the neighborhood from roof top terrace. Share a bathroom on each floor. Mostly young people when we were there. Spent 4 nights.

Room Tip: Take the top floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A friend and I moved here for a week after the rest of our group left Kuching. Bindi was very friendly. The hostel was clean, in a good location, and were very helpful when we were organising trips. The walls are a bit thin, but everyone quietens down at night, so we didn't find that it mattered. It has a cute little roof terrace that is great for reading a book!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Those are the three most important attributes when looking for accommodation away from home and in a foreign country. ThreeHouse has ticked all those boxes with super friendly staff, clean facilities and a real relaxed/tranquil atmosphere.
Bindi is very welcoming and makes this guesthouse feel as though you are staying here as part of her family.
There is a 7-11 about 50m around the corner (to the left as you leave the guesthouse) with an eaterie opposite, keep walking past the 7-11 and you will hit a major shopping mall with everything and more at your desire (I highly recommend spending 1-2MR for the massage chairs next to the pharmacy!! Bliss after a days trek.)
Your clothes can be washed, dried and folded for a very small and very reasonable fee.
Common room has all you need for entertainment (TV, lounge, books) and along with the entire guesthouse is kept clean and tidy.
Thank you to Bindi and all the staff at ThreeHouse :-)

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I flew straight from KL to Kuching to start a three week trip in Malaysia. My trip started somewhat awkward as my suitcase arrived a day later, my adapters didn't fit the local standards and the booking of flights for the rest of my trip didnt workout. But owner Bindi runs the place like a true host and helped out where she could to makethe start of my trip a better experience. The room was small a somewhat dark, but clean and the aircon worked very well. The communal spaces are kept clean and overall there's a nice atmosphere and it's quiet at night.

The walls are thin so you can hear your neighbours talking, the matresses are thin and the WiFi isn't very stable. But overall I had a good experience here thanks to Bindi!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We found the place by chance meeting a guy at the airport and we needed only one minute to decide to stay. We stayed five wonderful days there. Kuching is a nice city and in one hour or two you can find lots of things to do finishing every day at home.
Bindi and her staff are very nice and helpful. The place it's very confortable, clean and nice. We were five and Bindi arranged everything to stay in two beautiful rooms with ac.
After three house everything seems little.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends