“BEST-KEPT SECRET IN KUCHING”

Batik Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 84 Kuching B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was my 4th visit to this superb little boutique hotel. It is based on a traditional chinese 3-storey shop lot, and has been very tastefully modernised to retain the original feeling of airy spaciousness. The bedrooms are excellent in every respect, and the bathrooms amongst the best I've experienced locally. It is probably fair to say, however, that the time has come to start redecorating, as the rooms are just beginning to look in need of a repaint.

Batik has a large public area and bar on the entrance level, opening onto an enclosed patio. This is the social centre of the hotel, where the incredibly helpful and well-informed 'crew' interact with the clients. The strength of this hotel lies entirely in the quality of this crew - competent, well-educated, friendly and hard-working as they are. Nothing is too difficult or too much trouble for them. But don't expect them to be subservient, like staff at international 5-star hotels - they are friends, rather than staff!

The breakfast is their weakest point. The restaurant staff, although polite, seem to be completely out of their depth, and never quite in control. When with a group, do not expect to be served quickly! If you have appointments, make sure you leave plenty of time, as they seem to take each order and then cook and serve that plate individually. There is a choice between American style breakfast and local breakfast - sadly (as I do not eat it), all with chicken. On my last trip, four of us asked for more toast, as the miniscule slice with the meal was clearly insufficient. Each of us in turn waited up to 5 mins to get one more tiny slice. (We were the only ones in the restaurant at that time). Personally, I would be quite happy to forego the cooked breakfast if instead they offered an interesting selection of cereals, mueslis, fruits, yoghurts and so on. I hope I have not laboured the breakfast issues too much - in a hotel with such strengths in all the other areas, it's the only negative side. And in reality, the breakfast would be perfectly acceptable in any other hotel which wasn't striving for perfection as is the Batik!

Overall, I still award it 5 stars. I can't think of another hotel that I find as 'nice' as this one.

Room Tip: Front of hotel rooms are slightly larger. Rear of hotel room are quieter, allowing us to open window...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Batik Boutique Hotel is conveniently located in Kuching, being a few minutes walk to the river and the commercial area.

The room we stayed in on the 3rd floor overlooked the main street, and even then, it was very quiet, which meant we slept very well. The appointment of the room represented great value, with AC, LCD TV, wifi and a nice, big bed and beautiful bathroom.

wifi was a bit patchy at our room (as it is in most of borneo), but better at the ground floor.

the staff are warm, friendly, accommodating and very helpful. they even set us up with a portable media server with many movies to choose from.

Overall, a very nice hotel and excellent value for money! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Pick a room at the higher floors away from traffic and use the wifi at the ground floor courtyard wh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014

All nine of us enjoyed our stay at Batik. it exceeded our expectation. Staffs were very friendly and helpful. They accommodated some of our ridiculous requests without second thought. They helped us booked transportation, made enquires for us. made dinner reservation for us and even drive us to the restaurant free of change because it rain at that moment.

Thank you and we will come back again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The staff was very very helpful from the beginning. We felt almost like at home, or even more welcomed ;-) Because we parked in the wrong place the night we arrived (indicated by staff) we had received two parking tickets which were dealt with without a fuss by the staff. The rooms are decorated in a very modern and cute way, the staff take care of every small detail. Even very luxurious bath salts were provided. The location of the hotel is great, the only negative point would be that the main road has quite a lot of traffic, so if you can try to get a room towards the backyard. Breakfast was very good as well.

Room Tip: try to choose one towards the backyard. The main road is quite noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in dec & jan .arrived late at night & found our rooms to be very good greeted with rice wine &cake.fresh towels & designer tea bags every day, you can make variations to the breakfast menu , as much juice , tea & coffee as you like . The staff were helpful & friendly, the hotel allows easy walking to kuching waterfrot , museum & lots of eating places ,.the rooms were clean & light, we had 3 fronting the road , so you could enjoy the bustle . Would definetly book again , highly recommended( the only thing we had to get used to was the bare concrete floors in the lobby and hallways, but this is part of the design , and the floors of the rooms were very well tiled and laid to wood !)

Room Tip: Book a room facing the road
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

When I arrived at Batik, the staff immediately acknowledge me by name. I was served tuak (rice wine) and kuih lapis (layered cake) while waiting for the room to be ready. The staffs were friendly and we chatted by the wooden daybed with daylight coming through the roof. I was scheduled for 5 days at Batik. They are even nice to send me to my dinner destination as it was raining and cab was slightly difficult to get.

The room was clean and simple. But I what I like most about the room is the bathroom which has both rain shower and a unique tub. They used Tanamera (spa material) for toiletries which is amazing after every long day. The only problem was that my light in the shower room was not working.

I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it.Loved Kuching,would go back
Booked a city facing suite-on reflection should have booked a courtyard room because of the street noise but earplugs worked OK
The room was large and comfortable with a great shower and tub.Lots of power points and a great setup for all the electronics we carry on vacation
The location is excellent;close to Top Spot as others have mentioned as well as the waterfront,shopping,old town and a supermarket
Breakfast was good with a choice of western style breakfast or laksa- which I opted for a couple of times
The staff were efficient,helpful and friendly with the exception of one incident on which I will elaborate on later
When we arrived we were shown promptly to our room after having the cake and welcome drink.It was stuffy in the room and I called down to the desk because I thought the aircon wasn't working..The manager arrived minutes later and informed us we just had the fan on -not the aircon! Whew,it would have been an uncomfortable stay to say the least without working aircon
We were given suggestions for dinner and when we decided on where we wanted to go the manager called to make reservations and even drove us over there.That was great customer service

Now for the negative which makes this stay a 4 star instead of a 5 star
When we arrived in our room we noted that the frig wasn't working in addition to the aircon.The manager told us she would stop by while we were out for dinner and fix it. When we returned,the frig was still not fixed
The next morning we told another staff member about the problem.He said he could do nothing about it until later as they were full but the next day he would switch out the frig because there would be people checking out
Never happened.Shame because a cold coke or beer bought at the supermarket would have been welcome and cheaper that buying at the hotel or anywhere else
Also that last day we were hiking in Bako and it would have been nice to buy some food and refrigerate it before taking off in the morning

The last morning,while checking out,i did voice my disappointment in not having a frig.Originally I was told that the hotel car was not available for airport transfer and would have to take a taxi but after my complaint,the car and driver were freed up and I got a free trip to the airport
That was a good thing
Would this incident prevent me from staying there again? Probably not. But I do wish that people would deliver on their promises

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple