“Perfect stay”

Batik Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 82 Kuching B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This has become one of my favorite boutique hotels in the world. From the warm and engaging owner and manager, to the helpful staff with great recommendations, good breakfast, excellent location close to the waterfront, and beautiful, airy and bright rooms, my stay here was really pleasant. The only thing is that the supposed complimentary service from and to the airport was not available during my stay and the taxi driver that was sent to meet me wasn't there.
However, I strongly recommend this place and I can't wait to come back to Kuching and Batik Boutique.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Moonbathing

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have been traveling for many years and in many countries. The Batik Boutique is now my favorite hotel anywhere. The Batik may not be for everyone. If you want a predictable, standard, sterile but luxurious environment then you might be better off choosing one of Kuching’s 5 star hotels. Everything isn’t always perfect at the Batik. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for breakfast, on rare occasions wifi goes down, and there is no pool or spacious lobby. However, if you want a place where the staff genuinely does everything in its power to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, you can’t do better than the Batik. The Batik is my favorite hotel of all time, not because the room is so comfortable (which it is), not because it has the best shower I’ve ever had in a hotel (which it does), or because the free wifi, despite an occasional lapse, is high speed and generally very reliable, nor because of the delicious Beehoon that was my first choice of the five choices of breakfast dishes. It’s my favorite hotel because of the extraordinary staff. Jackie, the owner, is a generous person whose spirit is put into action by the incomparable Jo-Lynn, manager extraordinaire. She heads the Batik crew, a group of young people dedicated to solving whatever problem comes up. Don’t be fooled by the backwards baseball cap, 27-year-old Jo-Lynn is one of the most competent people you will ever meet. She and the staff are full of helpful information to facilitate all your tourist needs, from directions on how to get to the Orangutan reserve or to Sarawak’s cultural museum to restaurant recommendations and advice on how to spend your time in Kuching. But besides those routine services, the staff at the Kuching always goes the extra mile, whether it is giving one a ride to a restaurant when they aren’t too busy, rushing to the airport to return a camera to a guest who forgot hers, or matching up guests who are going to the same restaurant. I was astounded the day I took a nasty fall that instead of just directing me to a hospital emergency room, the manager came in from home, took me there herself, and waited until I was x-rayed and treated, and then sent someone back to get my medical records. The staff is exceptionally helpful without being overly subservient. They are real people—fun to talk to and to get to know. To say that the Batik doesn’t nickel and dime one is the understatement of the year—from the free Friday night flicks to the complimentary coke in your refrigerator to the informal hiking excursions that one might be lucky enough to be included in, the generosity of spirit of the staff and management pervades everything that happens there. I chose the Batik based on TA comments, stayed at the Batik for a month and I couldn’t have felt happier with my choice.

Room Tip: I liked having a room on the courtyard where I could not hear any street noise. I didn't mind so...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank wildand60
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It's true, we really had a great stay at the Batik Boutique hotel. Starting from our arrival until we left everything just went right and nothing was too much touble.
Staying at Chinese New Year the hotel organised a lion dance and had special 'treats' for us in the room. We enjoyed meeting and chatting with the totally professional team that work here.
All requests, questions, bookings were made efficiently even when our requirements were somewhat complicated, thanks especially for fixing an airport drop-off without us even asking. These sorts of things make a stay memorable.
The room was very well presented and stylish, I especially loved the giant bath tub.
I guess, the only improvement could be with the breakfast, but it got better and better each day!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here this past Valentine's day and had a wonderful time. The room was spacious and bright, the bathroom was amazing, the bed was huge and comfortable too. The staff were very helpful and friendly, they offer free airport transfer and helped us with printing out our boarding passes (which a lot of hotels won't do) they also have an excellent selection of drinks at the bar. I recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We booked into this unit based on its trip advisor rating. The hotel was very tiny say two storey high. It didn't have reception. They took our passport "somewhere” disappeared for few minutes then handed back to us. The whole place was dirty and had that musty foul smell throughout.
Stayed the night and forfeited the rest of our four night stay (paid in advance) and stayed somewhere else. . For the price that they are asking, go down the road and stay in a 5 star 24 storey high hotel for a mere extra..not much...
Location is central and staff were nice.
It suits travellers who are used to back pack budget accommodation as that's what Batik feels/looks like with the price of a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Good location, large clean, well air conditioned room, good choice of breakfast, but best of all such charming and helpful staff. The Batik felt homely and welcoming from the start and I write as a jaded veteran of many a corporate hotel. Jo-Linn was delightful and patiently gave us detailed suggested itineraries and made our four day stay in Borneo most memorable. The Friday night film club under the stars in the patio was a great end to the trip. Well done to owner Jackie and all her team. Martin Corrall

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was my 4th visit to this superb little boutique hotel. It is based on a traditional chinese 3-storey shop lot, and has been very tastefully modernised to retain the original feeling of airy spaciousness. The bedrooms are excellent in every respect, and the bathrooms amongst the best I've experienced locally. It is probably fair to say, however, that the time has come to start redecorating, as the rooms are just beginning to look in need of a repaint.

Batik has a large public area and bar on the entrance level, opening onto an enclosed patio. This is the social centre of the hotel, where the incredibly helpful and well-informed 'crew' interact with the clients. The strength of this hotel lies entirely in the quality of this crew - competent, well-educated, friendly and hard-working as they are. Nothing is too difficult or too much trouble for them. But don't expect them to be subservient, like staff at international 5-star hotels - they are friends, rather than staff!

The breakfast is their weakest point. The restaurant staff, although polite, seem to be completely out of their depth, and never quite in control. When with a group, do not expect to be served quickly! If you have appointments, make sure you leave plenty of time, as they seem to take each order and then cook and serve that plate individually. There is a choice between American style breakfast and local breakfast - sadly (as I do not eat it), all with chicken. On my last trip, four of us asked for more toast, as the miniscule slice with the meal was clearly insufficient. Each of us in turn waited up to 5 mins to get one more tiny slice. (We were the only ones in the restaurant at that time). Personally, I would be quite happy to forego the cooked breakfast if instead they offered an interesting selection of cereals, mueslis, fruits, yoghurts and so on. I hope I have not laboured the breakfast issues too much - in a hotel with such strengths in all the other areas, it's the only negative side. And in reality, the breakfast would be perfectly acceptable in any other hotel which wasn't striving for perfection as is the Batik!

Overall, I still award it 5 stars. I can't think of another hotel that I find as 'nice' as this one.

Room Tip: Front of hotel rooms are slightly larger. Rear of hotel room are quieter, allowing us to open window...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends