“Fabulous Class!”

Bumbu Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 6 Food & Drink in Kuching
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Brilliant morning spent with Joseph and Serena, learning traditional dishes and preparation techniques! I was especially impressed by the fact that they were so environmentally conscious, and were against the use of MSG. The food was fantastic - pretty impressed that I can artistically slice a pineapple now too! Joseph said that the vast amount of leftovers (each person cooks an incredible quantity of food - I had enough chicken curry for about 4 people!) is given to local neighbours, and if the class gets more popular then they will be able to donate more food to a local school for handicapped children too. A really wonderful idea!

8  Thank Carrie_baby1986

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Joseph is the perfect host and guide to introduce you to the cuisine, culture and history of Sarawak. He is a walking encyclopedia! We spent a morning with him and his assistant, Selena that we will not soon forget. My husband has never cooked in his life and I dragged him along so I could try this out. He loved it!! We started in the kitchen with a small introduction, but soon found ourselves whisked to the market where we learned about all the varieties of foods and spices available in Kuching and how to chose the best among them. Then back to the kitchen where with the expertise of Joseph and Selena we pounded ingredients, wove dessert baskets, and created a meal fit for royalty. This should be a must do for everyone. Kids will certainly enjoy it too.

10  Thank ellynvb
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We did the cooking course and market shop. I'd highly recommend including the market shop if you get a chance as it was especially interesting. We got to find out much more about Sarawak food than we otherwise would.

Joseph was lovely, extremely patient and generous with his knowledge.

We did the course with our kids ages 7 and 9, who loved it. It was one of their highlights as they got their own wok. They especially enjoyed making the baskets out of pandan leaves.

Finally, the best of all was the meal we made. A super yummy chicken curry and some sambal jungle ferns. Yum!

8  Thank KellyTaylor
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I love curry and veggies so these dishes were perfect for me. Joseph picked us up at our hotel and took us to his kitchen. His sister-in-law,Benedict, had us rub a mixture of spices into some chicken pieces so they could marinade while Joseph took us to the market. Having the market experience was definitely worthwhile. There were foods that I was unfamiliar with that Joseph showed us and was able to answer any questions about.
We made a delicious lunch and Benedict's mother was the little kitchen fairy who cleaned up dishes and set things out for us. Benedict guided us through everything and we could film our process as well.
These are lovely humble people to learn from. We thoroughly enjoyed the class and I recommend it for a great introduction to Malaysian food prep.

12  Thank NoraMcM
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We have just returned from our trip to Malaysia and had a wonderful morning at Bambu cooking. Myself, husband and 11 year old son visited the market and then spent the morning cooking Malaysian chicken curry. It was great fun and very hands on. Then we all enjoyed the spoils of our hard work for lunch. Highly recommended.
Now I just need to recreate it at home!

12  Thank SurreyRumPunch