“A memorable cooking experience!”

Bumbu Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 6 Food & Drink in Kuching
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I really love this class and highly recommend. Teacher Joseph first took me to local market for ingredient shopping, and taught me to know some vegetable that only is planted in Sarawak. During the class, I had wonderful hands-on cooking experience, all course were easily to follow. Joseph and Serena were very patient and taught me all the techniques I could use, very nice cooking class.

4  Thank NancyHuang

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had an excellent time at Bumbu, We've done a few cooking classes in the past but this was exceptionally well run and fun to do. We cooked delicious food and got to scoff the lot after as well as having doggy bag to take home :-). This was a birthday treat for my husband and they even bought him a birthday cake which was very thoughtful and yummy!!!

thank you teaching us some of your delicious recipes and making our time there special

4  Thank Rebecca D
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We just had a wonderful day at Bumbu Cooking class. First we did the market tour and then cooked a few dishes. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Food was plenty and the recipes easy to follow. Highly recommended.

5  Thank cwoehrmann
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have been to cooking schools everywhere. Most have been good featuring food I could get in any restaurant back in the US. Bumbu is one in a million. It all began with an incredible visit to a bunch of local markets surrounded by local people buying the food they cook for their families. While there, Joseph educated and encouraged us to taste everything, explained how each item could be used, and answered all of our endless questions with a smile and sometimes an introduction to someone who might know more than him. During the drive to and from the markets, he told us about the surrounding area and some of his own history of how he came to live in Kuching.

Back at his school, he immediately set the stage for cooking as he grew up cooking in his jungle tribal community, including making plates out of leaves and using the simplest implements as he grew up using. Joseph humbly says he is not a chef; he just likes to cook, however, I think he is far more than that.

Over the next few hours as we cooked many different dishes, Joseph and his assistant was at our side encouraging us, showing us all the techniques we could use, and in the end we cooked an amazing meal that we could only find in the home of a native of Borneo.

And after dinner, we got the chance to meet his fabulous kids and learn more about their lives and plans for the future, including some new ventures into tourism. So if you find yourself in Sarawak Borneo, head to the beautiful city of Kuching, find Joseph, learn how to cook and then join him for anything else he has to offer.

7  Thank fogghaven1
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Joseph is the Bomb! And his family and staff are super cool too. He turned my wife and I on to a whole wonderful world of Sarawak cuisine, culture and history. The trip to the market for provisions was an adventure of exotic food exploration. We would have been lost without his tutelage & knowledge of both jungle and non-jungle edibles. Back at the school, Joseph was attentive, kind, funny, and patient as he showed us the ropes and encouraged us to roll sleeves and "dive in" with a culinary confidence we thought we couldn't possibly possess! The result was nothing short of glorious and when we sat down at the dinner table and began to feast, we were like, "What Michelin 3 Star gourmet chef prepared this sumptuous repast?" (the jungle ferns were off the hook) Of all the cooking classes we have been fortunate enough to experience, Bumbu was far and away the best. Go see Joseph if you want the ultimate in Borneo victuals. You won't be dissapointed.

6  Thank Harvey M