“Nice, cosy restaurant with room for improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles

Tom's
Ranked #77 of 555 Restaurants in Kuching
Cuisines: International, European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: tel no:+6082-247672
Kuching, Malaysia
“Nice, cosy restaurant with room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Tom's has a great reputation in town for its high quality food, but also being pricey.
However, most western food lovers wouldn't mind paying a little more for good food, including us.
We dine at the restaurant on a weekend for dinner.
The environment is nice and cosy, similar to some decent restaurants in Europe we have been to. While we were there, a guest sitting across the room was talking so loudly to his friends that we could actually follow their conversation. This was a little unpleasant during the meal but wasn't the restaurant's fault.
The food are pretty good. We ordered a cream of broccoli and pumpkin soup for starters.
For the main course, we had the aglio olio pasta and honey mustard chicken.
I have to say that the pasta was very tasty but not the chicken, though the portions are pretty decent.
The chicken was slightly undercook, where the thickest part of the thigh, touching the bone, was still red. I bet it would be well done if cooked for another 5 minutes.
Having said that, the chicken arrived probably 15 minutes after the pasta dish, so we shared the pasta while waiting.
The chef/ waitress can do a better job at their serving pace and timing, so that guests from one table can start eating courses at the same time.
For the price range close to a hotel restaurant, I was expecting a more professional service.
They also have quite a variety of desserts (cakes) and breads for sale.

I think it is good western restaurant in town, but there are still room for improvement.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Cool place for private occasion.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

i brought my family to toms to celebrate my birthday party. the staff is friendly. helping us a lot. Ordered salmon sashimi as starter.For mains we ordered Beef ribs and Lasagna. your salmon are totally delicious. i must admit that. the beef ribs and lasagna also nice. we had good time at there. will come again for sure. maybe to try your steak!. anyway kudos!

melbourne
“Kuching Finest Western Restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

If you want a nice steak in Kuching, this would be the place to head to. The lobster/prawn aglio olio pasta is wonderful as well. And please spare some space for dessert -Tom's cakes are really to die for.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank iashi
“Bravo Chef Peter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Every year when I return to Kuching I'd dine here with my family We appreciate abd enjoy good food and we think that the sea bass and halibut here are to die for! Chef Peter's culinary skills do Kuching proud. I hope he will continue to whip up more fantastic dishes for satisfied customers like myself and my family.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Excellent, delicious and consistent, love the food at Tom's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

The sea bass and halibut is to die for. The eggplant pasta was also a strong favourite. I ate at Tom's about a year ago and ordered the same tonight. The food was as I'd remembered it. We had a lovely time and the highlight was meeting chef peter at the end of the night.

• 5 of 5 bubbles