“Room not worth the value”
Review of Damai Beach Resort

Damai Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The hotel already knew the room was leaking and still let us check in. The moment we open the door,the floor is wet. The side cupboard is covered with a damp towel, it is moldy smell. We reported for more than an hour, only a cleaner come and change the damp towel to a dry towel. She told us that this room has been leaking and the head knew about it. We are still waiting for the front office to notify us what should we do. We stranded in this room, unable to unpack the luggage and wasting our time doing nothing....

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank CYM_cindy

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

We traded a week of our gold crown resort for this what a rip off
Rooms are tired dark and not maintained.
Even the shuttle buses were breaking down. The renovations caused constant noise little access to the beach no tennis court or kids club access the only pool was full and i mean full of kids. We left after 4 nights and paid to stay elsewhere

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SueBMelbourne
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We checked in and the room was good yet dusty.Renovation is going on and its all messed up.The beach was awesome and a nice view of mount santubong beside the sea.Quite clean beach where you can rent bicycles. The hotel can make arrangements for visits nearby and far too...All in all it was awesome except the Renowation.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Been to the resort three times in the last 20 years, basically every time I managed to go back to Malaysia. I have to say I was disappointed last time over the condition of the resort. We stayed in a chalet, while it was roomy and the bed comfortable, but the phone was not working, so were a couple of outlets.
The pool area was completely blocked off due to renovation. I understand that but it just changed the whole "damai feeling" for me. Thankfully the beach was the same, not too crowded and wonderful for morning walk.
We enjoyed the cultural village next door, which you can pay $2 ringgit for shuttle if you rather not walk. They are also different little restaurants next to it. The food is a bargain if you don't want to pay the price of the food at the resort, lots of selections from roti canai, satay, chicken rice, nasi lemak, to different varieties of noodles. Do remember not all of them open for breakfast early in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank doceant
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I have been wanting to write a review on Damai Beach Resort, Santubong but can only make it now. We had a wonderful 5 nights stays in April, 2013. Unforgettable holiday experiences for my husband, me and our 5 yrs old daughter, before we return to Europe.

It's a wet (raining almost every evening), tranquil but full of enjoyment. We enjoyed our morning walk along the wide beach ..(wait for the sun to rise is a very pleasant view), an afternoon at the chalet (if you have no plans to go out to the town) and an evening at the Santubong Bar (that's where I worked with my laptop and tab for free WIFI, while my child enjoyed dancing to the music, before we call it a day.

My child just can't wait to get all the sands on her at the beach or joined in others for beach ball games each day .. (yeah, she played with other guest's kids and that's such a precious experienced !). Sarawak Cultural Village is just 10 mins walk and a jungle trekking to Mount Santubong was just a good warm up. We just get dirty, sweat, walk more and free ourselves from the life routine as that's what we want to have on our holiday.

Loved the seafood dinner at the Fisherman's Village restaurant and all the Sarawak dishes at the Satang Café. I've seen and heard a lot from friends about the chicken cooked in bamboo. Well, the hotel don't served 100% authentic of Manuk Pansuh (hope I got the name correctly) but it taste so delicious anyway. The staffs was very friendly and patient with kids), if you are traveling with small children, you do understand what I meant ... so, thank you !.

Very helpful bellman (they came to deliver umbrella's for us on raining day ..appreciate it !) and a good shuttle service ... we enjoyed the bumpy ride (yes) ..hahahaa.. because we don't experienced that much nowadays !.

Note : Others may find it kind of unpleasant with kittens/ cats around on the floor while dining, but my child likes to feed the cats, so we are okay with that. It's part of entertainment.

Will definitely go there again, in our next trip home to Malaysia. We already missed that moments there !.

Room Tip: Our favourite : Chalet away from the lobby ..near the beach or up the hill
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank normajean0621
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Location. Location. Location.
This resort is some distance from town; therefore, not for everyone.
It is on a large beach, and it's right next-door to the Heritage/Cultural Village. If either of these is a priority, then this is the place for you. There are daily shuttles to town, but that eats into your vacation time. If you come with a large group of people, this could be a fun place. The night club provides decent music but it tends to be deserted; however, a group travelling together could have a dance-floor and bar almost like a private party.
The buffet breakfast is plentiful and edible, but below the standard you'd expect of a resort. Treez Restaurant provides a small but adequate night-time menu.
I booked through my Asia Club but almost no one at the resort knew that means certain discounts; they simply said, "No." Fortunately, I knew I was entitled to them and did find one manager who knew that.
The internet choices are expensive and very peculiar, requiring you to use up your time very quickly. The computers provided in the lobby kept going off-line; laptop computers worked adequately in the rooms by the lobby and the beach but NOT up at the hill-side suites. A huge reworking of their internet experience is definitely needed.
Right now MUCH construction is going on.
Not a good time to visit. The main pool, the spa, the fitness centre are all closed; and there is, of course, the attendant dust, noise, and ugly view,
The staff were not particularly knowledgeable in some area, but all did genuinely try to be helpful (except for the discount above).
I have been here before, but before you book, check on the construction. The hotel is (or looks) old, and upgrades are needed; I was in one room with leaking plumbing in the bathroom ceiling and then an upgraded room with AC leaking puddles of water. Unfortunately it appears that it might be a long way from.
File this one away for a possible group trip sometime in the future.

Room Tip: You can avoid the construction going on near the beach by requesting a room on the hill-side. The v...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed one night at Damai Beach Resort for a friends wedding. I was a bit disappointed with the hotel service. On sunday night, my friend and I are a bit hungry middle of the night after the wedding party and I was having gastric pain as well. We call-up the operator to order our food around 1.00am, to my surprised, Room Service is only operate till 11.00pm! I have requested the operator to inform F&B if they could cook simple meal for us as I am having gastric and she replied "Sorry I can't help you". Well, my advise if you wish to do Hotel Business, I guess you should improve your service and hospitality. This hotel was located about 30 - 40 minutes drive from Kuching Town and there is no restaurant or cafe nearby around that area. The hotel should operate the Room Service for 24 hours. I guess this is the first resort I stayed and operate the room service up to 11.00pm only. Could not believe it!

I also would like to mention about the pillow. I think the hotel should change all the pillows in the hotel. How on earth you expect the hotel guest to sleep on the "hard" pillow? I am having a stiff neck the next day. :-(

Next morning, we went for a breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Again, we were a bit disappointed with the quality of food. Not many selection and poor quality of food. They also serve "cold" porridge, "cold" coffee. Couldn't believe this is happening at the resort.

I will never come back and stay at this hotel unless they improve the service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends