“Disaster”
Review of Hilton Kuching

Hilton Kuching
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I had a terrible experienced with Hilton Kuching in month of April 2011 as my hotel rooms was cancelled without notice when I arrived there! The worst part is I travel with my colleague (first time to Kuching) and had to appologize to her due to this problem. What a disaster!
Hope that those who planned to stay there, make sure you had contingency plan, i.e. had others hotels contact number to avoid dissapointment when Hilton cancelled your rooms without notice.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Willloh

Reviewed 23 April 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Kuching for 5 nights, after completing a group tour of Vietnam with Travel Indochina, , on the next leg of my 2011 SE Asia tour.
The hotel is has renovations in progress but these did not interfere with my stay.
The parts of the hotel that have not been renovated are still in good condition although a little dated. The restaurants and bars I tried are excellent. The Waterfront restaurant has a very good buffet breakfast and dinner. There is a very good coffee shop adjacent to the Lobby where light snacks are available all day. You can also get a light evening meal. I did not try the other restaurants. There is also a nice Bar, Senso, adjacent to the coffee shop.
The staff, especially the concierge and porters are very helpful and all the other staff are very friendly.
My room was excellent as I was upgraded to a Junior Suite with a large lounge room, king sized bedroom, large bathroom with separate shower and bath and a separate toilet. In the lounge room, there was a lounge suite, sideboard with television and a reasonable size table that could be used either as a desk or a dining table. The bedroom had a King Size bed, a desk and plenty of wardrobe space with a safe, and a cupboard with a television. The bathroom facilities were excellent with plenty of towels and all the expected amenities.
The hotel location is great. The river is directly over the road with a nice promenade and food stalls in the evening. It is only a short walk to the Main Bazaar, for handicrafts and antiques, and the centre of town and several shopping malls.
I would recommend the Hilton Kuching, especially at the very reasonable room rates available to other traveller and the renovations when completed, will make the hotel much better.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Hilton Kuching is definitely not what I expected of the Hilton brand. I guess I wouldn't have minded so much that the toilettries were scarce (had to ask for toothbrush+toothpaste. My colleagues walked to 7E to get theirs), the service at breakfast was slow and the overall ambience of the hotel screams "upkeep!", but "hospitality" was missing from the moment I stepped out of the airport taxi. The concierge did not bother coming to open the taxi door for me, not even the doors to the hotel. And ther receptioninst, oh dear... Rather than make things easy and pleasant for the guest, she made it horrible. When she asked for identification, and I wanted to give her my passport (although I'm Malaysian), she insisted to see my IC. Same difference, no? And when I asked where the lifts are, she said 'on the left'. When I looked to my left, she said, 'left!' - and then I realized she meant HER left a.ka. MY RIGHT. Hilton Kuching (I don't know about other Hiltons) needs to buck up, and not just mending the exteriors of the hotel, but the staff as well. They are in the HOSPITALITY industry, after all. I hope mine is an isolated case and no other guests get a similar treatment of indifference from Hilton Kuching. Having said that, would I stay in Hilton Kuching again? No, thanks.

Room Tip: Try the Spa, about the only good thing there.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SpicyOlio
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Has the Hilton name, needs redecoration....., location is absolutely great near the river. Food is good enough, nearby a nice location named James Brooke for nice food. The entrance is very good. They also manage Bating Ai. This really needs better management. The location of Batang Ai is fabulous.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of a package trip to Borneo. Our room was on the 11th floor and it was huge – probably the size of two standard rooms. The outside wall was all windows overlooking the city. Everything in the room was very good and at a high standard. The hotel provided water and the usual amenities. Our in-room safe wasn’t working as the battery had died. The staff came very quickly and replaced the whole safe – the only problem was that it wasn’t anchored on the shelf. He assured us that it would be fine. I played around with it and secured it myself. We thought this was unusual for a hotel like a Hilton.

The hotel pool was very large and comfortable. The exercise room was well equipped. The hotel however does not have either a sauna or steam bath. Breakfast was very good with lots of selection. The hot food could have been hotter – a common problem in Asia we have found. As well service in the breakfast room was very poor with few staff and very slow service.

We would recommend this hotel. Since it was included in our package we cannot comment on value for price. There are other hotels nearby though that offer essentially the same quality of room and service for very reasonable prices.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Canadian079
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This is a review of the Pool and gym area only, not of the rooms.

We paid to come and use the roof top pool and the gym here for the day as our hotel had neither and we wanted a workout and to relax. Really wish we hadn't bothered.

The day passes were ridiculously expensive and jacked up simply because of the Hiltons brand name.

The Gym itself was nothing special, it was small and didn't really have much equipment. It had just enough for a basic workout and that was about it.

The Sauna/Steam room weren't switched on despite repeated requests. But to be honest when I actually checked them (thinking they would finally have them on) I didn't stay anyway because they weren't exactly clean or well maintained.

The pool area was in a pretty shabby state too. The water was clean and fine to swim in, but the tiles were chipped, the paint work of the whole area was grubby and the changing rooms were filthy and stank of stale smoke, with butts all over the floor too! Not nice at all!

If this is a reflection of the whole hotel the management should be ashamed! Do not come here at all!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MichaelHuxley
Reviewed 4 December 2010

we have a second home in kuching and have been going to kuching for over 15 years and have been visiting the Hilton for that amount of time last year we missed coming to kuching due to illness .We visited this year and of course went to the Hilton in our view was the best hotel in kuching . What a disappointment the buffet dinner was appalling little choice the hot food was Luke warm at best and very poor value the following night we went to the steak house again the standards have dropped and the portion size would leave a child hungry .I don't believe how what was the best place to eat in kuching has become the last place I would now go to but sorry i wont be returning

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple