“Rooms need a lot of updating, hotel stands out like a sore thumb!”
Review of Hilton Kuching

Hilton Kuching
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Rooms need a lot of updating, hotel stands out like a sore thumb!”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We spent just one night here as we were transferring to the Batang Ai Longhouse Resort the next day. The hotel is a bit of an eyesore on the river front but you cant deny the rooms that face the river. An excellent view! Especially of the sun setting over the river.
Kuching is a fantastic place. Its very small so you don't need more than a day to explore it in my opinion, and it has a really laid back feel and great places to eat.
We walked to Junk for our evening meal and the food was amazing!
The hotel rooms are very outdated with hair dryers out of the 70's. Whilst we were there they had started to refurb some floors (thus the banging and drilling from 7:30am!) so I suspect they will improve in time.
Everywhere is in walking distance so the hotel is ideally placed.
Definitely insist on a river view room!
There was lots of choice for breakfast and we enjoyed sampling a lot of it!
If you're heading to the Batang Ai Resort like we were, make sure you fill your cases with water and beers whilst you're in Kuching - its a fraction of the cost. If you go straight out of the front of the hotel and cross the road, there is a small alleyway leading to a little convenience store.

Room Tip: Insist a river view!
1 Thank Shell11j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I had a terrible experienced with Hilton Kuching in month of April 2011 as my hotel rooms was cancelled without notice when I arrived there! The worst part is I travel with my colleague (first time to Kuching) and had to appologize to her due to this problem. What a disaster!
Hope that those who planned to stay there, make sure you had contingency plan, i.e. had others hotels contact number to avoid dissapointment when Hilton cancelled your rooms without notice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Willloh
Wangaratta, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Kuching for 5 nights, after completing a group tour of Vietnam with Travel Indochina, , on the next leg of my 2011 SE Asia tour.
The hotel is has renovations in progress but these did not interfere with my stay.
The parts of the hotel that have not been renovated are still in good condition although a little dated. The restaurants and bars I tried are excellent. The Waterfront restaurant has a very good buffet breakfast and dinner. There is a very good coffee shop adjacent to the Lobby where light snacks are available all day. You can also get a light evening meal. I did not try the other restaurants. There is also a nice Bar, Senso, adjacent to the coffee shop.
The staff, especially the concierge and porters are very helpful and all the other staff are very friendly.
My room was excellent as I was upgraded to a Junior Suite with a large lounge room, king sized bedroom, large bathroom with separate shower and bath and a separate toilet. In the lounge room, there was a lounge suite, sideboard with television and a reasonable size table that could be used either as a desk or a dining table. The bedroom had a King Size bed, a desk and plenty of wardrobe space with a safe, and a cupboard with a television. The bathroom facilities were excellent with plenty of towels and all the expected amenities.
The hotel location is great. The river is directly over the road with a nice promenade and food stalls in the evening. It is only a short walk to the Main Bazaar, for handicrafts and antiques, and the centre of town and several shopping malls.
I would recommend the Hilton Kuching, especially at the very reasonable room rates available to other traveller and the renovations when completed, will make the hotel much better.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Hilton Kuching is definitely not what I expected of the Hilton brand. I guess I wouldn't have minded so much that the toilettries were scarce (had to ask for toothbrush+toothpaste. My colleagues walked to 7E to get theirs), the service at breakfast was slow and the overall ambience of the hotel screams "upkeep!", but "hospitality" was missing from the moment I stepped out of the airport taxi. The concierge did not bother coming to open the taxi door for me, not even the doors to the hotel. And ther receptioninst, oh dear... Rather than make things easy and pleasant for the guest, she made it horrible. When she asked for identification, and I wanted to give her my passport (although I'm Malaysian), she insisted to see my IC. Same difference, no? And when I asked where the lifts are, she said 'on the left'. When I looked to my left, she said, 'left!' - and then I realized she meant HER left a.ka. MY RIGHT. Hilton Kuching (I don't know about other Hiltons) needs to buck up, and not just mending the exteriors of the hotel, but the staff as well. They are in the HOSPITALITY industry, after all. I hope mine is an isolated case and no other guests get a similar treatment of indifference from Hilton Kuching. Having said that, would I stay in Hilton Kuching again? No, thanks.

Room Tip: Try the Spa, about the only good thing there.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SpicyOlio
Fryslan
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Has the Hilton name, needs redecoration....., location is absolutely great near the river. Food is good enough, nearby a nice location named James Brooke for nice food. The entrance is very good. They also manage Bating Ai. This really needs better management. The location of Batang Ai is fabulous.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of a package trip to Borneo. Our room was on the 11th floor and it was huge – probably the size of two standard rooms. The outside wall was all windows overlooking the city. Everything in the room was very good and at a high standard. The hotel provided water and the usual amenities. Our in-room safe wasn’t working as the battery had died. The staff came very quickly and replaced the whole safe – the only problem was that it wasn’t anchored on the shelf. He assured us that it would be fine. I played around with it and secured it myself. We thought this was unusual for a hotel like a Hilton.

The hotel pool was very large and comfortable. The exercise room was well equipped. The hotel however does not have either a sauna or steam bath. Breakfast was very good with lots of selection. The hot food could have been hotter – a common problem in Asia we have found. As well service in the breakfast room was very poor with few staff and very slow service.

We would recommend this hotel. Since it was included in our package we cannot comment on value for price. There are other hotels nearby though that offer essentially the same quality of room and service for very reasonable prices.

1 Thank Canadian079
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This is a review of the Pool and gym area only, not of the rooms.

We paid to come and use the roof top pool and the gym here for the day as our hotel had neither and we wanted a workout and to relax. Really wish we hadn't bothered.

The day passes were ridiculously expensive and jacked up simply because of the Hiltons brand name.

The Gym itself was nothing special, it was small and didn't really have much equipment. It had just enough for a basic workout and that was about it.

The Sauna/Steam room weren't switched on despite repeated requests. But to be honest when I actually checked them (thinking they would finally have them on) I didn't stay anyway because they weren't exactly clean or well maintained.

The pool area was in a pretty shabby state too. The water was clean and fine to swim in, but the tiles were chipped, the paint work of the whole area was grubby and the changing rooms were filthy and stank of stale smoke, with butts all over the floor too! Not nice at all!

If this is a reflection of the whole hotel the management should be ashamed! Do not come here at all!

4 Thank MichaelHuxley