“OK hotel - comfortable but not luxurious, didnt appreciate the loud childrens party”
Review of Hilton Kuching

Hilton Kuching
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights in total. 2 nights, and on return another 3. Hotel is well located and possibly the best located of its standard opposite the waterfront in the city centre, with direct river views unlike other similar hotels. It is walkable to many very good bars and restaurants within a few minutes. Apart from breakfast we ate outside the hotel so cannot comment on the restaurants but they all seemed very very quiet. Breakfast was a nice affair, not that busy either, plenty to choose from and it was lovely to have it overlooking the garden and the river. I enjoyed the french toast immensely! The common areas of hotel are nice, well kept. The swimming pool area is quite large, with a good few beds and much nicer than I expected for a city hotel. Shame I didnt get to enjoy it as much as I would have liked - see below.
Service overall in the hotel was good, but just not as friendly or personable as the other hotels we stayed in in Malaysia. The door staff and pool staff were however very helpful and friendly. The 2 rooms we had were ok. Pretty basic though and not any way as luxurious as I had expected of a HIlton hotel. They were just bland, nothing special. Definately 3 star. Clean, comfortable but nothing to right home about. The second room we had had a river view on 7th floor I think and the views were lovely. No point staying in my opinion unless you get river view. The first room was a problem and was 2nd floor, view of swimming pool/bar area at back of hotel. So low down people could see into our room so had to keep curtains drawn. Was totally unimpressed on first day to find a kids party had overtaken the garden area from about 12pm, with a huge loudspeaker and host or DJ or whatever they were blasting all over the place. Not only was the noise impossible to bear in our room between the very large crowd of children and entertainment but, although it was possible to go into the pool behind the party, it wasnt exactly a relaxing place to be and we left there also. When arriving into the swimming pool area/door we were greeted with a ticket booth or something which I assume was for the party. It was madness that guests were made to feel that they didnt know if they could use the outside facilities or not that day. It was taken over with bouncy castles crazy golf and other entertainment and I dont think it needed to be so loud. I felt like I had wandered into a childrens play zone not a Hilton hotel leisure area. We left the hotel for the rest of day. I actually couldnt believe the Hilton would put a function over the needs of its PAYING guests. It was a total let down as to the standard of hotel and i have never experienced anything like it. They sent notices in advance about the renovations going on which were a bit noisy but did no-one think a large childrens party outside your room isn't as bad?
In summary, for the location if the price was right I might stay here again. Its clean and comfortable with lovely views but the whole childrens party taking over the leisure area left a sour taste with me. Guests should come first. There was also no free wi fi - you had to pay for access - so that was very disappointing in a business orientated or any hotel for that matter of this standard.
Very much enjoyed Kuching itself and as a base for exploring nearby sights.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 25 May 2011

This property is exactly what it should be as a Hilton Hotel. The rooms are clean, comfortable and roomy (we stayed in a KING GUESTROOM PLUS), the location is perfect for easy sightseeing by foot and accessibility to the best parts of Kuching, and the service at the front desk was terrific. There are other hotels that are probably just as good located in the same vicinity, but as a HiltonHonors member, I am partial to staying at Hiltons - even if the cost is a little higher (although there's no need to dine or even get a cappuccino in the hotel, as there are many great dining/cafe options within walking distance that cost much, much less).

However, we did find the front desk to be particularly worthy of praise. Two examples of the great service: 1) Upon our arrival we needed to do a currency exchange, and the representative who checked us in recommended a money changer across the street instead of the in-house changer for the best rate.
2) When it looked as though we were too late to book a day trip to Bako National Park through the in-house travel agent because he was closed for the day when we arrived, a second representative took the time to track down the agent by phone and then tracked us down so we could make our arrangements with the agent over the phone and get onto the following morning's tour. We were very happy with the front desk's diligence, which really helped us to make the most of our time in Sarawak.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We spent just one night here as we were transferring to the Batang Ai Longhouse Resort the next day. The hotel is a bit of an eyesore on the river front but you cant deny the rooms that face the river. An excellent view! Especially of the sun setting over the river.
Kuching is a fantastic place. Its very small so you don't need more than a day to explore it in my opinion, and it has a really laid back feel and great places to eat.
We walked to Junk for our evening meal and the food was amazing!
The hotel rooms are very outdated with hair dryers out of the 70's. Whilst we were there they had started to refurb some floors (thus the banging and drilling from 7:30am!) so I suspect they will improve in time.
Everywhere is in walking distance so the hotel is ideally placed.
Definitely insist on a river view room!
There was lots of choice for breakfast and we enjoyed sampling a lot of it!
If you're heading to the Batang Ai Resort like we were, make sure you fill your cases with water and beers whilst you're in Kuching - its a fraction of the cost. If you go straight out of the front of the hotel and cross the road, there is a small alleyway leading to a little convenience store.

Room Tip: Insist a river view!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shell11j
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I had a terrible experienced with Hilton Kuching in month of April 2011 as my hotel rooms was cancelled without notice when I arrived there! The worst part is I travel with my colleague (first time to Kuching) and had to appologize to her due to this problem. What a disaster!
Hope that those who planned to stay there, make sure you had contingency plan, i.e. had others hotels contact number to avoid dissapointment when Hilton cancelled your rooms without notice.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Willloh
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Kuching for 5 nights, after completing a group tour of Vietnam with Travel Indochina, , on the next leg of my 2011 SE Asia tour.
The hotel is has renovations in progress but these did not interfere with my stay.
The parts of the hotel that have not been renovated are still in good condition although a little dated. The restaurants and bars I tried are excellent. The Waterfront restaurant has a very good buffet breakfast and dinner. There is a very good coffee shop adjacent to the Lobby where light snacks are available all day. You can also get a light evening meal. I did not try the other restaurants. There is also a nice Bar, Senso, adjacent to the coffee shop.
The staff, especially the concierge and porters are very helpful and all the other staff are very friendly.
My room was excellent as I was upgraded to a Junior Suite with a large lounge room, king sized bedroom, large bathroom with separate shower and bath and a separate toilet. In the lounge room, there was a lounge suite, sideboard with television and a reasonable size table that could be used either as a desk or a dining table. The bedroom had a King Size bed, a desk and plenty of wardrobe space with a safe, and a cupboard with a television. The bathroom facilities were excellent with plenty of towels and all the expected amenities.
The hotel location is great. The river is directly over the road with a nice promenade and food stalls in the evening. It is only a short walk to the Main Bazaar, for handicrafts and antiques, and the centre of town and several shopping malls.
I would recommend the Hilton Kuching, especially at the very reasonable room rates available to other traveller and the renovations when completed, will make the hotel much better.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Hilton Kuching is definitely not what I expected of the Hilton brand. I guess I wouldn't have minded so much that the toilettries were scarce (had to ask for toothbrush+toothpaste. My colleagues walked to 7E to get theirs), the service at breakfast was slow and the overall ambience of the hotel screams "upkeep!", but "hospitality" was missing from the moment I stepped out of the airport taxi. The concierge did not bother coming to open the taxi door for me, not even the doors to the hotel. And ther receptioninst, oh dear... Rather than make things easy and pleasant for the guest, she made it horrible. When she asked for identification, and I wanted to give her my passport (although I'm Malaysian), she insisted to see my IC. Same difference, no? And when I asked where the lifts are, she said 'on the left'. When I looked to my left, she said, 'left!' - and then I realized she meant HER left a.ka. MY RIGHT. Hilton Kuching (I don't know about other Hiltons) needs to buck up, and not just mending the exteriors of the hotel, but the staff as well. They are in the HOSPITALITY industry, after all. I hope mine is an isolated case and no other guests get a similar treatment of indifference from Hilton Kuching. Having said that, would I stay in Hilton Kuching again? No, thanks.

Room Tip: Try the Spa, about the only good thing there.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SpicyOlio
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Has the Hilton name, needs redecoration....., location is absolutely great near the river. Food is good enough, nearby a nice location named James Brooke for nice food. The entrance is very good. They also manage Bating Ai. This really needs better management. The location of Batang Ai is fabulous.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple