“I would definitely stay at the Hilton Kuching again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Kuching

Hilton Kuching
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Germany
“I would definitely stay at the Hilton Kuching again!”
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Besides the slippery tiles in front of the hotel, we had a great stay at the Hilton Kuching.

The reception was very friendly. I you could, upgrade to the executive lounge. The breakfast is amazing - lots of malaysian choices (not everyone like curry for breakfat), very friendly staff.
The cocktail hours at night are also great. Sitting on the 11th (?) floor and looking down and around the lights of Kuching. The staff serves the alcohol quite swift and some of them make quite a nasty Gin Tonic. Also very good the snacks served then.

On the negative side: the pool. Lacks a bit of tlc.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank RosiS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
uk
Reviewed 28 January 2009

lovely attentive staff,restaurant manager good fun and staff brilliant,thanks for my intro to sushi!. lovely room overlooking the sarawak. great gym with very friendly staff. better than the 5 star sutera in kk. would love to come again.
adrian and debbie langley

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Hilton Kuching was a lot better than I expected, and definitely worth the money (rates are quite reasonable). It's true that some of the facilities are a little aged, for instance the pool area and especially the kiddy area. Anyhow, they work fine and are quite peaceful, so I can't really complain, and rooms are fine although they lack the latest stuff such as LCD TVs and jacuzzis.

The hotel staff was the friendliest that I have probably ever experienced, and while my 2-year old son got sick during our stay, the hotel accommodated all sorts of requests with smile and even drove us to see a doctor for no cost and waited outside to give us a ride back. Late at night I truly appreciated the gesture.

Overall, I highly recommend Kuching and Hilton Kuching for their relaxed atmosphere and friendliness towards families with small kids. We'll definitely go back!

• Liked — Service & staff, location, value-for-money
  • Disliked — the condition of children's pool area
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We stayed here for the last night of our one week holiday in Kuching after spending the other nights at Kuching WaterFront Lodge, which is just down the road.

The first impression given by the reception staff was somewhat cold and distant but I didn't let that bother me too much. Other than that, they were efficient and we got our room fast. No river view since ours faced the side road and the new Tune Hotel which is being refurbished.

The first thing I did was catch a nap and I was amazed by the comfortable mattress and pillows, especially the pillows. It was so soft and the blanket so flurry that I fell asleep pretty quickly! The air-conditioning system was working fine too and the in-house cable TV has just what I wanted - Discovery Channel.

The only problem was the thumping music at night. I'm not sure whether it was coming from the pub across the road or the lounge within the hotel or maybe it was one-off New Year's eve party. I'm not a light sleeper so it didn't affect me much and the bed so so comfy anyway. Managed to catch the New Year's fireworks.

The location is good. Just next to the hotel is Riverside Mall with your usual KFC, Sugar Bun, etc. Mac is nearby too. If you want local food, the nearby coffee shops have kolo mee, chicken rice and other delicacies to offer but all of them will close by 3pm or 4pm so be early.

Paid about Rm $350 for the room which is pretty affordable for us after converting it to Singapore dollars. The bed, pillows and blanket are really good......

• Liked — The Bed and pillows.
  • Disliked — The reception staff and no free internet access
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
JB
Reviewed 24 December 2008

We were visiting Kuching on business but had the opportunity to stay extra days as holiday. Hilton provides picturesque swimming pool at the 1st floor of the hotel. Located near to several shopping complexes, it is also situated next to row of shops and bars (No need to worry if you’re here without your own vehicles). The Hilton has a good view (though not the best) of the Kuching waterfront. As far as the room is concerned, the room was a bit tired and gloom and in need of refreshing redecoration and updating (especially on the lighting + colors etc). Although it is roomy for single traveler (with your spouse or girlfriend), it is not comfy for those who are with kids. The reception staff seemed disorganized too. The housekeepers on the other hand are very hardworking and helpful.

• Liked — Swimming pool
  • Disliked — Gloomy room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank semuaputih
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2008

I stayed here this week for four nights, having planned it as a last-minute long weekend away from Singapore with my girlfriend.

We just missed out on getting a suite (the allocation had gone by the time we finally booked), and were allocated a Standard Double instead, so our hopes were not that high. However, the room was excellent; large, well fitted out, modern and clean. I have stayed in far more expensive hotels, with far worse rooms than this.

Our room was on the entrance-side on Jalan Borneo, so no river views. But having a view of the river didn't really matter, since we went and took tambangs (river taxis) up and down most days, and the sunset cruise, so by the time we left we were pretty familiar with the river.

Breakfasts were very good, a great range of food and very attentive and friendly staff. Often you can have efficient staff, or smiling staff, but it is not often that they are genuinely friendly, and apparently happy, as was the case here.

The lounge bar is very cool and contemporary, very slick (another night we thought we'd try another cocktail bar locally, just for a change, and went to the the lounge bar (The Club) in the Crowne Plaza - what a dump!, dartboard, snooker table, and chavvy chainsmoking kids propping up the pub-like bar. We walked in, and walked right out again!)).

We had a dinner in the Steakhouse which was outstanding. Both for the quality of ingredients, but also the cooking and presentation. I'd challenge anyone to find such a meal for two for RM300 anywhere else in Asia. It was the first time I have asked for my compliments to be sent to the chef, for many years!

All in all we had a great stay, and thought the hotel excellent. We were already discussing a return trip, before we had even got to the airport to leave last night.

• Liked — Location, great staff
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonGenie
Melbourne
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in an Executive King Deluxe Room.
The room was of a large size but I found the layout of the room somewhat strange - almost like they didn't know what to do with the extra space. The room itself was clean and in good condition but was showing some wear and tear. The bathroom was also large and in good condition. The big plus for the room was the view over the river from the large windows in the room. A riverview room is a must for this hotel.

The executive lounge was a good size and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast served in the lounge contained hot and cold items and a selection of local and western foods but was fairly non-descript. A good selection of snacks was also served in the evening and the lounge also had free wifi, which is a big plus for me.

One large negative with the hotel was I found the plumbing in the hotel to be really loud and at night could hear toilets flushing, showers etc at a really loud volume.

Despite this I really liked the hotel, and Kuching. I think if people have expectations in line with the price of the hotel they will be quite satisifed with this hotel.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo