“Nothing special”
Review of Hilton Kuching

Hilton Kuching
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I must admit, I'm not someone who frequents the Hilton or other 5 star chain hotels very often. I only stayed because the Hilton were running a half price weekend retreat special. So for a 2 night stay I paid 425 MYR which was not bad for a chance to stay at a reputable hotel. However I was a bit disappointed with the room given that it is the Hilton. Negatives were the room and furnishings were looking in need of renovation, small CRT TV, no view of the waterfront, Internet connection not included and quite expensive. Positives are the size of the room, location, and the breakfast buffet. After checking out of the Hilton we stayed at the Harbourview Hotel which is much better value for money. So unless you get a good deal, there are better options than staying at the Hilton.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theintrepidreporter
Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 2 March 2010

Nice hotel with very friendly staff. Good value for money. Rooms with a splendid view of the river.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I flew into Kuching on February 22, 2010 and checked into the Kuching Hilton at 9:30 p.m. When I arrvied at my room, the electrity was off and master switch cannot be turned on. I waited for 15 minutes for mainainance to fix it. After two hours working, all of the sudden, the electrity went off and room went pitch dark. After calling the Hotel staff to fix it again, the same thing happened again and I woke up in total darkness when I woke up to go to the bathroom at the middle of the night. The same problem and "fixing" took place several more times, which meant little sleep for me. Apparently, when I called the front desk, this type of incidence was not uncommom and Hilton doing a horrible job monitoring the rooms and did not put of out order rooms out of the inventory. Don't stay here. You will regret.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Yibing
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We stayed here for three days. The hotel itself is okay, the staff is very friendly and helpful (really). The food is very good (we had there breakfast and dinner).

On the other hand: the rooms are outdated (but they are quit big). And in the rooms of our group it was very-very smelly (you could not open the window and under that weather you can imagine what will happen...).

In recommendation I will give a yes, but actually it is more like: I do not know...

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2010

From the outside an unpleasant functional building, inside the Kuching Hilton comes mostly with expected brand qualities like good food, good beds, clean rooms and mostly very pleasant staff. The more than 60m2 the Deluxe Plus Room was cheaper than some Motel in Europe, equipped with huge floor to ceiling windows and a great view over Sarawak River, the City and surrounding mountains. Bathroom has antechamber, separate walk-in shower and separate toilette, furniture appears tacky, sofa and chairs are run down and should be changed shortly. As the building in total the pool is very dated, Gym was not available. Contrary to other Hilton experiences, the Hotel offers cheap and recommendable buffet options – obviously a temporary measure to coexist with the newly opened Pullman next door. Overall the very central located Hilton is definitely not a first class Hotel, but if you get an attractive rate, it's a good gateway to explore this part of Sarawak and a solid option to get certain quality in Cat City.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian72
Reviewed 30 January 2010

I reviewed this hotel on Feb 19, 2007. Needless to say, the hotel is older now, the competition is different (the Holiday Inn is no more, it is "localised" now and there is the brand new Pullman barely 100 yards away.

The executive lounge staff are still great, and all the staff I know elsewhere still treat me (and as I see it, others) very well, even if they make the ocassional mistake (they seated someone else at my breakfast table after seating me; not laying out cutlery properly is a common mistake).

However, there is one BIG (and quite possibly, irreversible) dissapointment. The Gym was closed for renevoations for almost the whole of 2009 (guests were allowed to use a couple of nearby gyms free of charge). Everyone waited in anticipation as the Hilton used to have, at one point in time, the best Clark Hatch gym in Kuching (albeit with aging, but near complete equipment - read :>10 weight training machines + cardio +aerobics space ). The new "gym" shouldn't even be called one. There are 2 treadmills, a couple of cardio machines, some free-weights and wait for this...a 4 in 1 (home use style) weights machine crammed into 1 room (the size of a standard deluxe hotel room). (This seems to be a Hilton trend now, as I have also mentioned this in my Hanoi Hilton Opera review recently). The gym is something you would not expect to find in good apartment complexes, let alone a premier hotel. The gym was just opened 2 weeks ago and hotel guests get to enter and use it 24-7 - but there is no ventilation at all until the gym "realy" opens at 10 am(!!) and there isn't even drinking water till then. BTW, the gym toilets too are locked before the gym opens. Hilton has scored an own goal. Appraenyly, th gym space is now taken up by a spa (I have not checked it out), but it has to be a SMALL spa as there is only so much space. I am trying to be as objective as possible, as I do realise that many guests do not need the gym but a planned, foolhardy ,move deserves comment.

I now rate the hotel 3 1/2 stars, but as the voting buttons require me to choose between 3 and 4, I choose 4, bearing in mind the location and overall staff friendliness and skills (on this I find Hilton surpassing all other Kuching hotels, but I confess that the baseline is low-ish).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank KT785
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We stayed here on three seperate occasions between trips around Sarawak. We found it was a great base to explore the region. It was also a great hotel for exploring Kuching.

The staff were very pleasant and kept our luggage and valuables safe while we were travelling around. We thought the breakfast was great.

We ate in the steak house whice was fab and the other restarant on the ground floor which wasnt so great. There is a Chinese restaurant which we didn't eat in but it looked great.

Our room was lovely, on every occassion we stayen in the same room. It had a fantastic view of the river.

There was free internet in the lobby.

I would definately recommend it. No complaints.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple