“OK hotel if you want to pay for the brand”
Review of Hilton Kuching

Hilton Kuching
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Toronto
“OK hotel if you want to pay for the brand”
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of a package trip to Borneo. Our room was on the 11th floor and it was huge – probably the size of two standard rooms. The outside wall was all windows overlooking the city. Everything in the room was very good and at a high standard. The hotel provided water and the usual amenities. Our in-room safe wasn’t working as the battery had died. The staff came very quickly and replaced the whole safe – the only problem was that it wasn’t anchored on the shelf. He assured us that it would be fine. I played around with it and secured it myself. We thought this was unusual for a hotel like a Hilton.

The hotel pool was very large and comfortable. The exercise room was well equipped. The hotel however does not have either a sauna or steam bath. Breakfast was very good with lots of selection. The hot food could have been hotter – a common problem in Asia we have found. As well service in the breakfast room was very poor with few staff and very slow service.

We would recommend this hotel. Since it was included in our package we cannot comment on value for price. There are other hotels nearby though that offer essentially the same quality of room and service for very reasonable prices.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canadian079

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This is a review of the Pool and gym area only, not of the rooms.

We paid to come and use the roof top pool and the gym here for the day as our hotel had neither and we wanted a workout and to relax. Really wish we hadn't bothered.

The day passes were ridiculously expensive and jacked up simply because of the Hiltons brand name.

The Gym itself was nothing special, it was small and didn't really have much equipment. It had just enough for a basic workout and that was about it.

The Sauna/Steam room weren't switched on despite repeated requests. But to be honest when I actually checked them (thinking they would finally have them on) I didn't stay anyway because they weren't exactly clean or well maintained.

The pool area was in a pretty shabby state too. The water was clean and fine to swim in, but the tiles were chipped, the paint work of the whole area was grubby and the changing rooms were filthy and stank of stale smoke, with butts all over the floor too! Not nice at all!

If this is a reflection of the whole hotel the management should be ashamed! Do not come here at all!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MichaelHuxley
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2010

we have a second home in kuching and have been going to kuching for over 15 years and have been visiting the Hilton for that amount of time last year we missed coming to kuching due to illness .We visited this year and of course went to the Hilton in our view was the best hotel in kuching . What a disappointment the buffet dinner was appalling little choice the hot food was Luke warm at best and very poor value the following night we went to the steak house again the standards have dropped and the portion size would leave a child hungry .I don't believe how what was the best place to eat in kuching has become the last place I would now go to but sorry i wont be returning

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank melp212
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Location wise, I hv no qualms staying in Hilton Kuching. However, with a new hotel like Pullman just around the corner, I'll think twice about choosing Hilton as my choice of hotel in my next visit. The rooms that my friends and I stayed in are generally clean and comfortable but definitely require major makeover. They still hv the 25" tv placed in tv cabinet, rattan chair, sofa and carpet looked old and outdated, bright color curtains, broken door locks, etc. If I don't know better, staying there made me feel like I'm still living in the 90s. Despite the outdated furnishing, the major plus point for Hilton rooms wld be the view of the Sarawak river. But if you are placed in a room with the city view, then Pullman wld be a better choice.

Rooms aside, the hotel staff are generally courteous, friendly and efficient. Their response time was prompt and were able to meet my request for hsekeeping items or repairs. The conference facilities was ok, altho there were a few shortfall here and there.

As for food, breakfast and lunch becomes a boring routine after the 3rd day. The breakfast and lunch spread is almost the same everyday. I didn't ordered any meals from their room service, as there are ample restaurants within the hotel vicinity, but the food prices are quite reasonable.

Facilities - gym is in good condition. Swimming pool definitely need an upgrade. I also tried the Borneo Oasis spa, which offered 50% discount on body and foot massage untill new year. Ambience and the treatment room was very nice, but I experienced better massage elsewhere.

Would I recommend the hotel? Yes, if you're looking for a hotel with strategic location, a comfy bed to sleep at night and not that fussy abt trendy rooms, ambiance, etc. But if you're none of the above, better wait till they've done major refurbishment on the hotel rooms, facilities and facade.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank qhearts
scotland
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Had a weekend break in the Hilton as a last minute treat for ourselves. Kuching is clean, safe and interesting. Eating out was not a problem, restaurants or hawker stalls readily available.
The Hotel service was excellent, special mention to Naruddin who looked after us very well.
Its a bit tired in places and the charges at the poolside bar are very over priced considering the prices in the town.
Howver the location is superb, overlooking the river and is to be recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Excellent hotel with a real attitude that is geared towards guests. If you stay there then go for the club room deal it makes all the difference. The views over the city and the Sarawak river are truely amazing.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank johncassie
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I travel Internationally quite a bit on business, far less on pleasure unfortunately. I typically refer to trip advisor to remove myself from 'unfortunate' hotel experiences. My stay in Kuching was longer than typical (3 weeks), and perhaps this is why I was treated at well as I was at the Hilton.

I can only state that I have never felt so comfortable, embraced, and spoiled in ANY hotel previously, ...ever.

At time of writing this, Hilton Kuching was #4 in Kuching based on Trip-Advisor. I wouldn't for a second pretend to be curious to trade-up on my Hilton Kuching experience. I only wish 1/2 of the 4 star+ or 5 star hotels I've stayed at, and will likely continue to experience, would have been/are 1/2 as good as Hilton Kuching.

Only reason location did not work for me, as a little to far from my customer. If a 20 Ringette ($6.50 USD) cab fair is any indication. Expect this amount is slighly more than would be for at least a few other hotels - but it's not exactly a lot of money, just the extra ~10m in commuting.

Thank-You.