Merdeka Palace Hotel & Suites
Hilton Kuching(Kuching)
US$70
US$60
  • Pool
Basaga Holiday Residences(Kuching)(Great Value!)
US$24
US$103
US$82
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspandansarawak museumbooked a standard roomindia streetshopping mallheavy rainswimming poolkuching townlocation is excellentwaterfrontgymmalaysia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel located right in the centre of the old town near the riverfront, park, chapel and museum plus a large department store called Plaza Merdeka...all are in walking distance that I like it. Hotel itself had enjoyed their pride long time ago with colonial & classical style architectural building & decor. The problem is that they never renovate or may be some renovation only which is too bad and so sad. This could have compared with The Raffle or The Oriental in their prime time. The Lobby light is so dim that hardly see even your palm. I got a deluxe room on the second floor which is a non smoking floor. the room itself is big enough for me with double bed, a sofa and a working table but the room lighting is also dim except a table lamp on the working table that brighter than others, two drinking bottles water and tea/coffee making facility provided with empty refrigerator(at least it's cool). Flat screen TV provided with mostly local channels and BBC news plus a borring English movies channels dated many years back. they have also safe box and iron/ironing board with 5-6 hangers( Ilike it as I stayed for a week) Bathroom has no bathtube ( I do not mind ) but the hot/cold water was not stable (fluctuate all the time) they have separate show corner but the shower curtain is so short that make water spilled out to the rest of the bathroom when using shower. Bathroom amenities is indeed do not want to talk about, please bring your own nescessity. Air-Con is great as I love cool air but because room is fully carpet therefore, some stink can be detected from time to time. As I stayed on second floor,then, no choice but to hear music/drum from the Bar below. it was very annoyed for other but for me I sleep late so the Bar closed before I go to sleep. The elevator is fast and noiceless. Breakfast is a buffet style with all the basic you can imagine for breakfast but do not expect any Pork dishes as they try to serve Muslim as well. service is acceptable in all area, the place is clean & safe...All in all, this place need renovation, refurbishing or repainting the outside building, etc. to win back their good memory and prime

Room Tip: Choose Deluxe Room but on high floor facing Merdeka Park
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I was there for two nights to receive the Hotel Green Award. By the look of the hotel I would expect some decent room like any other hotel but it was not the case. The bathroom was fairly acceptable with only cotton bud, shower cap n sanitary bag but no toothbrush. I rush to get out as soon as I can... The bed at the first look you really don't want to sit on it, the duvet was smaller than the mattress but comfortable. The room was dark n cold. On my first night I switch off the aircon at 10pm but when I work up the next morning it was ON LOW. How I don't know... My second night I decided to stay up late till 11pm n order some Nasi Goreng and right after my order the room went dark. I jump out of the bed and open the door. The corridor light was on so I called the front desk and they told me to use the candle in the drawer. I went to look for it n then the door bell...Ding Dong. It was my food. Lit up the candle n started to eat... it was good. The light came back 30mins later and the aircon was still OFF. So how did my aircon was on LOW when I work up the next morning on my first night?

The good thing I like about Kuching is the taxi drivers. They are very friendly n honest. The Average trip cost between 10-15R, even though I never see any number on their meter...

I would come back to Kuching but not stay at Mederka Palace unless I got no choice. But if you are adventurous I strongly suggest it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have no idea of other hotels in Kuching, and I came here alone for some meetings. I was recommended this place, but.... wow, welcome back to 1984. The staff is actually good, they really try and they are nice people to speak with, actually up to there the hotel would have been good. Breakfast is not that bad either, too much mainstream, normal, easy... but for a business breakfast is enough and I was not missing anything.

But then the rooms.... I tried to take some pictures, but could not get the reality of it. Having a maintenance issue is one thing, this is more total lack of care and maintenance. Showers moldy and black, beds that have seen too many people on them, decoration outdated, wall paper peeling all over, carpets stained, some of the most uncomfortable pillows ever... honestly, the hotel was good for a renovation something like 15 years ago, now it's too late.

A shame, because the lobby is impressive and the service was good, but my goodness the room...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Campanu
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had a table very close to the food. There were plenty of choices. The turkey was excellent. This is the 2nd time that I booked for Christmas Eve & the quality of food were kept to top quality. Did not try any of the pasta corner as we don't know what was offered. Remarkable staff. Though super busy, they were quick & attentive. The self service ice cream was a hit for kids but the ice cream were frozen so it made it hard to scoop up esp for kids.
Overall it was an enjoyable dinner. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Beautiful decoration....great ambience......a wide selection of food....superb presentation. Attentive and friendly staff. The food was delicious but I would not say the same for tge desserts. Still it was worth the money. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family