“Treated like family”

Riverside Majestic Hotel
Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I stayed with a friend and we were sad to leave.The staff at this hotel are its greatest asset.Two middle aged lady travellers,so you have all of the usual concerns re safety etc.but we had no worries.From check-in to check-out we were looked after.The consierge is great,arranged tours for us,carried shopping,opened elevators,gave advice and always shared a chat or joke,became a best friend.Restaurant is superb.The buffet breakfast was extensive and tasty and worth the money.Tables were crowded at the usual peak time so avoid if possible and you will have a relaxed breakfast with attentive staff.Dinner buffets changed each night and were top quality and inexpensive compared to international hotel standards.Once again the service was excellent.If we wanted something extra or not on the menu our requests were met with a smile.
The rooms were large ,are decorated in the typical style of 1990's but well maintained and clean.There is a good size pool to relax in at the end of the day and most of the time we had it to ourselves.This was a great hotel and we plan to take our husbands back next time.Great location to explore the riverfront from and walking distance to most of the city attractions.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
AfreedaNawawi, Marketing & Communications Officer at Riverside Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Dear famwood,

It is our greatest pleasure to read your positive feedback on our hotel. We are certainly glad that you had a great time during your stay with us.

We are also happy to know that you had enjoyed our buffet and the spacious room. Looking forward to having you stay with us again next time with your plus one!

Take care and see you soon.

Afreeda Nawawi

There are newer reviews for Riverside Majestic Hotel

Reviewed 21 June 2011

stayed in this hotel last week..... one nite only .... i had booked 4 rooms - deluxe room
for my friends and i...

the hotel was actually a bit old.. but it had recently undergo a major renovation in a few parts of the hotel....

my room was not one of them.... the furniture's a bit old... but i had a 32 inch LCD flat screen TV .. ;-D LOL (which my hubby loves..)
the room was big and clean....
my son had a lot of space to run around...
it has a king sized bed ... which was comfortable enough for me...
and the room had a view of Kuching River... which my friend loved..
it has a swimming pool .. (not big ... a simple one - had no time to take a dip... )

the hotel was a strategic choice for me...
next door is a shopping complex... with a cinema... ( had the chance to catch a mid nite movie ...) totally within walking distance .. 1 min only..

for food .. we had a fantastic seafood dinner at a place called 'topspot" .. wide variety of food choice... google it ! worth to try it when your in kuching city...

the staffs were pleasant and helpful...
overall i had a good nite sleep and a nice staying experience...

Advise : bring your laptop for internet connection ... it has no wifi .. but they offer internet using cable.. so just plug it in..

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1derwoman
AfreedaNawawi, Marketing & Communications Officer at Riverside Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear 1derwoman,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad that your trip was a memorable and pleasant one.

Hope to see you again and looking forward to having you stay with us again in your next trip to Kuching, Sarawak.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in the deluxe room. The rooms are spacious enough equiped with mini fridge, TV, coffee making facilities, iron and writing desk . For Muslim travellers, there was also a sejadah (muslim prayer mat) provided. the bathroom is well equipped with amenities

The view was great as we got the corner room which has a good river view and its sorroundings. Breafast was quite good with a lot of varieties.

Great location. Easy access to the Waterfront & Top Spot Seafood. Taxis are always available. There's a 7-Eleven store just across the street and Parkson just beside the hotel.

The staffs are polite and always greet u with a smile.

Room Tip: Request for the river view
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ceasars
marcom_office, Public Relations Manager at Riverside Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

Dear ceasars,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are happy to have been chosen as your preferred hotel and glad that your trip was a memorable and pleasant one. Hope to see you again and looking forward to having you stay with us in your next trip to Kuching, Sarawak.

Take care,
Eileen Chong

Reviewed 26 April 2011

This property is in a great location, across from the river. However, if you are planning to stay in a 5 star property, this is not your hotel. I would rate it a 3 1/2 star by American standards. The breakfast provided was good. The bedding was suprisingly up to my standards. Crisp white sheets and comfortable bed, for asian standards - firm. The concierge is not set up for leisure traveler's. I wanted to rent a motor bike the next day and drive to the orangutan village. I enquired the evening before and was given a location. I asked for a map, but he did not have a map which covered the outer areas of Kuching, but indicated the scooter place would provide one upon rental. I asked about printing out a goggle map, but he said they did not have the proper software and it would take an hour to download. The motor bike rental location did not have a map nor did they think I could find the location by myself. He arranged a trip to bako national forrest for that day instead. The next day I made arrangements to rent the motorbike and follow some guests I met that day in the morning. I ran 5 minutes late. The same concierge said they left. Since it was raining and I had no ride I had to wait to the latter feeding causing me to miss the long house experience, As I was leaving for my experience, the other couple was coming back, asking where I went? I told them about being 5 min. late and they were gone already. They said they were a few minutes later than I, and the same concierge said I left already. Maddening. That being said, the staff is lovable and try really hard,, but just miss the mark sometimes. I would return to the hotel if I received the same special, Air Asia hotel round trip from KL plus 3 nights for $125. But if I would have booked direct, I would have stayed at the Pullman, very nice hotel. No wifi in lobby, must buy a card. Which I think is BS for a "5 star" hotel.

Room Tip: River view rooms are optimal
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo

Dear travel_jenius,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We are happy to know that you had enjoyed our breakfast and the comfortable bedding. We also hoped that you got to try the new addition of local delicacies section during breakfast, which had received good comments from our guests.

On the other issue raised, it is unfortunate that your experience was not what you had expected. Rest assure that we are working on our facilities improvements to continue to offer value-added service to all our guests. In fact, we had recently started offering FREE high speed internet access in all our guest rooms because we know just how important it is to stay connected as you travel around, be it with your office or your loved ones. In fact, our dining outlets are also offering wifi service since 2010.

We look forward to have you stay with us again in your next trip to Kuching Sarawak.

Reviewed 20 January 2011

I regularly book at this hotel when I visit Kuching. The hotel is not new but it's clean and has a great location. It's near the mall and restaurants. Taxis are always available waiting outside. The rooms are big but a bit dated already. Very reasonably priced as I get a room for about $70-85 depending on when I go there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I stayed here while attending a conference at the Hilton because there were no more rooms there.

Initially I was a little disappointed as the room--which was spacious--was dated (throwback to the 80s) but it was otherwise clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also small and dated. (I later had the chance to check out the rooms at the Hilton and found that they were similar and, I thought, slightly smaller).

Unfortunately the view in my room was blocked by the apartment building which was across the street, I had to sit at an angle to get a nice view of the river.

The pool area looked a bit run-down as well. I wasn't too happy with the cleanliness of the pool as I found that the water was a bit cloudy. A few flower pots and some nicer pool furniture, or just a more artful arrangement of the existing furniture, would make a lot of difference.

Two things I really liked about this hotel were its location (everything seems within walking distance) and the staff who seemed genuinely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Arrived a couple of hours early and staff offered upgrade for a nominal fee .. Took the offer and was quite happy with the room . Nice comfy and ok view . Breakfast was also good . Swimming pool on the mid floor outdoor ... No service there but we just swim and leave.

Hotel is beside a shopping mall with cinema ... Not much to do in Kuching . Walking distance to harbour and other attractions and top spot food court ... Very good value the seafood there ate there almost everyday ... Still missing the lobster !
One thing to add hotel lobby was under renovation when I was there

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple