“The Worst Experience in my 35 years of travel” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Ranee Boutique Suites
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
London, United Kingdom
“The Worst Experience in my 35 years of travel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

*****WARNING********************************Be warned**********************************WARNING************

I tried to meet with the GM for 3 days but was not able to do so nor did I get a call back from her.
So unprofessional and its unbelievable what actually took place......

This is how it all started........

I was staying in a wonderful place called the Secret Sanctuary outside of Kuching for the first few days of my stay in Sarawak..... What a wonderful place...... I should have stayed there.Check my review on them.........

Made a reservation at this terrible place The Ranee to be in the centre of town and in walking distance of the waterfront and shopping etc....

Upon check in I noticed that the price I paid on line was more expensive than the walk-in rack rate. When I questioned that with the receptionist. I was informed in lousy English..... 'I am just a receptionist. I don't know...'

The elevators are not working and I had to carry my own heavy bags up the stairs by myself as the receptionist was a lady and couldn't carry my bags.

Then once in the room... The windows were open and the room was boiling hot and packed full of mosquitos..... I requested a room change which was of course was denied due to the lack of authority the 'receptionist' had. I tried to cancel my stay and get a refund..... and of course I should have never asked that question... I never got a call back from any managers or GM.

I bit my tongue and decided to enjoy my stay in Kuching.

I proceeded to the nearest shop and purchased mosquito spray and fumigated my room and went out. I returned that evening and even though I was bit badly during the night, I had a good night sleep because I was tired from the days events. and the bed was comfortable.
The next day I went out to the Crocodile farms and shopping and when I returned to my room in the late afternoon and to my shock and horror...... once again the air-conditioning was switched off and the windows were left open and the room full of mosquitos but to add to all of that the room was cleaned by house keeping as follows:
1) toilet was not cleaned were it had been used
2) the towels that i had left on the floor to be replaced were just rehung
3) the bed sheets that i had requested to be changed were not changed
4) the floor was neither mopped or swept as you can see my hair and some paper clippings still on the floor.
5) the robe I had used and that now stank of the mosquito spray and that I also left on the floor to be replace was also just hung back as is

Basically housekeeping did my room in less than 3 minutes at best

Again complained and no response from the manager or anyone.

Wait it doesn't end here

The next day which is my last day and I am to check out and fly back to Kuala Lumpur, at 9 am the air-conditioning stopped working, and when I called the reception to complain I was told that the air-condition in the entire Hotel is going through maintenance and would take several hours. i couldn't believe my ears.

I obviously proceeded to pack quickly because it was hard to breath without air-condition and the risk of mosquitos if i opened the window.

To top off everything, upon leaving the hotel I was then accused of taking things from the room and my bags were searched.

Unbelievable really.

Very strange place but don't judge the rest of Kuching or Sarawak by my experience at The Ranee because every other place and people I experienced in Kuching, Sarawak was amazing and enjoyable.

I would never recommend for anyone to stay at the Ranee Boutique Hotel under the current management

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Samerinlondon
theranee, Director at The Ranee Boutique Suites, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Mr Samer,

Thank you for choosing The Ranee Boutique Suites.

It upsets us to read such comments from our guests and your decision to take this matter online has surprised us but do allow us to explain:

1. Room rates: being a new business we are currently undergoing a restructuring exercise to serve our guests better, including re-categorising our rooms. We assure that you for your booking you were allocated the correct room type, despite a different room name upon check-in. We regret this, and apologise for our staff’s shortcomings in not explaining this clearly to you.

2. Elevator: the lift was under routine scheduled maintenance works and we will in future put up a notice to pre-inform our guests.

3. Housekeeping: Even though we are a no smoking hotel you insisted on smoking in our rooms and throwing all cigarette butts into our toilets making it difficult and awkward for our staff to deal with the situation.

4. Aircon: In line with our hotel’s construction design, we chose individual units for each room to best conserve energy. Aircon is cut-off when guests leave the room as you need to insert room key card to activate the aircon. The room you were allocated has no windows, only a balcony door.

5. Return call: Our General Manager spoke to you on Sunday 7 July 2013 and made an appointment to meet you on Monday 8 July 2013, 3pm but you left in haste on Monday morning.

The following incidents might cause you some embarrassment but since you have chosen to take this online it would only be polite for us to reply…

Our CCTV showed that you had tried to leave the hotel through our back door with a privately booked taxi. Upon being asked to check-out at our reception desk, you refused to do so including refusing to pay for items consumed in the mini-bar. Housekeeping had alerted us of missing items from your room so our Manager requested a bag check of your bags that were already loaded into the taxi, sadly to find several of our missing items in your bag.

We regret to say that we are saddened and shocked at this, coming from a well travelled guest.

We thank you for your compliment on our comfortable bed. We wish you all the best in your future travels.

Regards, The Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

This relatively new hotel has beautifully done rooms with hard wood, indirect lighting, and one of the best showers I've enjoyed on the road. Beds are hugs and comfortable. Staff was extremely professional; the manager showed me to my room to ensure that all was in order. Multiple Wi-Fi points meant that I had full bandwidth to myself and signal worked great for the nice work desk in the room. Will definitely return!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank VagabondingLife
theranee, General Manager at The Ranee Boutique Suites, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching !

We are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back when you return for your next holiday.

Kind Regards
Mary Chan
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

The place is well thought out design wise. Big rooms, spacious ground floor with wood theme decor. Comfortable lounge on the first floor. Barthrooms a bit Zen and spacious. Location in the heart of the old Bazar area near shops and restaurants. Their breakfast lets them down though - menu a bit strange. Dont know why coz there is a nice coffee shop in the hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room off the street side coz its noisy on the front - unless you want the action.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank PartrickL
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Smack bang in the middle of the Main Bazaar, just round the corner from China town - a couple of blocks from the Indian quarter and right over the road from the river. Great to just walk down the stairs and its all there - the only small problem with that is there is a bit of road noise.

Spotless, modern, roomy with friendly and helpful staff.

Cafe as well as usual bar and restaurant attached.

Room Tip: I liked the room with a view but if you're a light sleeper you might want to opt for a room away...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Deb M
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

The Ranee is first of all a visual delight with its well thought out designs in the main areas and in the unique individual suites. This is seen in the respectful, yet creative, use of simple objects reflective of the many cultures in Sarawak. Iban floor mats are used artfully on the ceiling in the dining room and as a wall hangings in open areas. Simple metal stacked lunch containers become a striking wall sculpture giving an relaxing atmosphere of space. We stayed two different times for a total of a week and experienced several rooms. The King beds were very comfortable with soft pillows and white crisp linens. The desk and tv area was smartly compact and yet allowed necessary room for our computer,papers and books. The free wifi helped us keep in touch with our family back home.
With all this can you believe the excellent people serving on the staff here are the jewels in its crown. Zanion who was at the front desk handled our reservation and room choices with great kindness and care. She was able to provide helpful and detailed information for everything from a nail salon to restaurants to museums and local markets. What a comfort to know who to ask when visiting in a new country. Jeremy was also very helpful in this way, and on top of that he served the bar in a professional and entertaining manner, as did Jamison and Morrison. Chef Sharon,and Sheila cooked really excellent and delicious meals. This gave us a chance to sample the wonderful local dishes. Server Georgina polite and attentive service was always so anticipated to begin our day. They made us want to stay for breakfast and often come back for the menu previewed for lunch or dinner at the Ranee. Lucia and Daisy kept our rooms so immaculate it was a pleasure to return to them after a long day touring. If we forgot anyone it is only because there were so many good people who made our stay memorable and fun. You left us "Gaga Ati" . I think that means with a happy heart!

Room Tip: Front rooms have the best views but have more street noise. Air conditioning is good and provides so...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stephie2c
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We had a 3 days 2 nights stay at the Ranee Boutique.
The location of the hotel is very close to the waterfront. Also many things are in walking distance.
At first we had a room to facing the waterfront. As this is facing the street that passes by, I had a bad sleep because of the noise, but I may be a bit sensitive about noise at night.
We've asked the staff to get another room the next morning which was possible.
The rooms themselves were perfect. Spacious, clean and had beautiful bathrooms.
The breakfast at the hotel was good.
The staff gave us recommendations which jetty to use to pass the river and where to buy the best layer cake. They also helped us printing airline tickets. Overall a perfect service of the staff.
Together with the option to do late check at 4 pm, the Ranee Boutique is a really good place to stay in Kuching. I'd definitively recommend everyone this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Steffen K
theranee, Manager at The Ranee Boutique Suites, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Ranee Boutique Suites, Kuching, it is a pleasure for my team and I to know that you enjoyed a wonderful holiday with us.

Your feedback on our Boutique and your experience is truly appreciated; it is good to know that our service and facilities all met with your expectations.

With regards to your comments on the room facing the street, we are reviewing this matter and will see how best we can progress in improving this.

Thank you for staying with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back when you return for your next holiday.

Yours sincerely,
Murphy Hillary
Operations Manager
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Every time you step back into this little gem after checking out the many sights of Kuching and environs, you are welcomed like a long lost friend. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed, the location is unbeatable but it really is the staff that make the Ranee special. Zanion is a wealth of good advice and really puts the P into professionalism. Highly recommended...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SydneyCountryboy
Dear Valued Guest

My team and I extend our warm thanks for your kind review of The Ranee Boutique Suites, Kuching.

We are happy to note that you enjoyed the stay and thank you for your kind comments about our colleagues. We trust that recognition from our guests such as you will further motivate them in our mission to completely delight and satisfy our guests.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you once again to the hotel in the future.